Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   where can I go for $2500 for 5 nights in July? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-can-i-go-for-2500-for-5-nights-in-july-504508/)

keli22o Feb 16th, 2005 01:49 PM

where can I go for $2500 for 5 nights in July?

2500 not including food. Just one air ticket from Miami and 5 night hotel including taxes. We would like something a bit upscale and not too crowded. Have looked at Aruba but don't think it is what we're looking for. Cap Juluca is booked in July. Turks and Caicos seems to have construciton everywhere. Have already been to St. John and Cayman. We want beautiful beaches and great food. Where to.

oceanic Feb 16th, 2005 01:55 PM

Try St. Barts

KVR Feb 16th, 2005 05:46 PM

For that price you can stay at an AI hotel in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, MX. We are looking at 6 nights at the Porto Real in Play del Carmen for Nov. From Texas it came to $2511.00. That includes food and alcohol.

wtggirl Feb 16th, 2005 06:42 PM

If "great food" is a priority, I might be careful of all inclusive properties. Usually the food is good but not great. Have you thought about St. Lucia? The beaches are more cove type rather than long stretches, but it is one of my favorite caribbean islands. For great beaches you could also look into Antigua which is ringed by beautiful beaches. YOu are only needing one air ticket? YOu said "we" so I am assuming you need land for two, but one person is on ff ticket?

keli22o Feb 17th, 2005 05:16 AM

Yes, one ticket is FF. I looked into Antigua but could not find any accomodations that looked inviting for about 2000 for 5 nights. I have never done an AI and I don't really think my husband and I would go for that. We don't mind if breakfats is included but not dinners as we like to sample different places and a get a vibe for what's around. We've been looking at T & C but can't find anything that we're looking for. Right now we've chosen Aruba Hyatt but I'm not too thrilled with that vacation. My husband has never been to the Caribbean so he might be pleased with Aruba I don't think I will as I have gone to quite a few islands already. Thanks for your help all!

ejcrowe Feb 17th, 2005 05:31 AM

On Antigua, check out Blue Waters for a non-AI. Maybe even the Beach House on Barbuda.

Maybe Ladera or Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia.

Little Dix on Virgin Gorda.

Cuisinart or Malliouhana on Anguilla.

Try looking at the Luxury Link website to see if there is anything there that strikes your fancy. Our consider renting a villa on any of these islands.

eileen Feb 17th, 2005 06:10 AM

Check out Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen -- very upscale AI with gourmet food. It's usually around $500 day per couple all food and drinks included and you fly to Cancun which has lots of reasonable flights so should be in your price range. It's about a 40 minute ride from Cancun.

Sunnyboy Feb 17th, 2005 06:11 AM

For what it is worth, I think you may have better luck if you first decide on which island you want to visit. After that, finding a resort or hotel in your price range should be fairly easy as you should have no difficulty finding suitable upscale accomodations in July with a budget of around $400 a night (not including food). Just about every island will have resorts in your price range so choose the island that's right for you.

For starters, check out some of the Bahamas Out-islands, there are many places there where you'll find a good combination of upscale accomodations and incredible white sand beaches without the crowds of places like Aruba, St. Thomas or St. Martin.

eileen Feb 17th, 2005 06:16 AM

Oops, just noticed that you don't want an AI -- I understand, we are not really AI people either but Royal Hideaway was really an exceptional place and it has fouor different restaurants so it is not like you are eating at the same place every night. We have stayed at the Ritz, the Four Seasons and RH is almost comparable and gets our award for "best value upscale vacation." If you would consider Mexico, look at the Four Seasons Punta Mita -- in the summer it's in your price range and it is an incredible place.

TomCayman Feb 17th, 2005 11:49 AM

If you don't want an AI but like upscale, also consider the Cayman Islands :)

wtggirl Feb 17th, 2005 12:56 PM

Yeh, I forgot about Grand Cayman. It has a totally different feel than St. Lucia...no mountains and less off beach scenery. But, beaches, snorkeling and diving are the draw here! If you are considering T & K then Cayman might be a good alternative. EJcrowe, I love Ladera! What an awsome place, but not for everyone (pricey and secluded). Check out the website though keli22o because you might want to consider Ladera one day if not now!

lowrancs Feb 17th, 2005 02:20 PM

Have you looked into the British Virgin Islands? I've been all over the Caribbean, and that's my favorite area -- beautiful scenery, good food, and great island feel. The airfare to get down there may make it to expensive, but you can always fly to St. Thomas instead of Tortola and then take a ferry over. Several of the resorts are all-inclusive, but VERY high-end. Check out www.peterisland.com -- we ate lunch there one day while on a charter, and it's beautiful. Great food, too. It may be in your price range in late spring/summer, especially since the package rates include food. I've also had friends who have honeymooned there and loved it. I think Biras Creek may be too expensive, but also very nice. My husband and I took a sailing course at Bitter End Yacht Club and loved it, but it doesn't have much of a beach and the food is only ok.

caribcouple Feb 17th, 2005 03:16 PM

I agree with the first poster, it's got to be St. Barts---no crowds or high rises, great dining, pristine beaches. Rent a villa like this one: www.stbartsvilla.com for $1800 per week,(inc. tax)--or look at the WIMCO agency.