Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where are you planning to travel in 2006?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my fellow Caribbean-obsessed travelers (or is it just me??):
Did this ridiculous hurricane season scare you from taking future trips during hurricane season?
I have to admit that it's made us rethink some of our plans. Last year we had 2 vacations re located because our resorts were damaged and this year hurricanes hit 2 of our vacation spots right after we left. Yikes!

So...We're going to Grand Cayman in early April. I'm currently in serious withdrawal since the last trip was Mexico in June. We did a Florida vacation in September but that doesn't really count
We're planning one in August: I'm going back and forth between Antigua, Anguilla, Jamaica, Guadeloupe... You get my undecided drift (the husband has had enough and now only wants to hear about it when I have tickets in hand!). But we may just end up doing New Mexico due to hurricane season!
And we're thinking about the Rockhouse in Jamaica for our anniversary in October...but Tobago and Dominica are in the running.

So what are you planning/thinking? It'll be interesting to see at the end of 2006 what we all ended up doing.
Happy travels!

p.s.: Can you tell I'm bored at work?
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Yes, I too am Carib-obsessed, never pass up the opportunity...
Jamaica should be on everyone's list to experience, get away from the cruise ports, really immerse yourself in the island and get to know people.
island_breeze.
PS. now back to work i go...
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Just got back from Parrot Cay, going to Barbados in Feb, Anguilla (Cap Juluca) in April. Let us know if you decide on Guadaloupe. That's one place we haven't looked in to, much but have thought about it.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM

We're going to St. Croix, staying at the Carambola, on January 2 and we can't wait!! Our 26 yr. old daughter has never been to the Caribbean and we're anxious to show her the beauty!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM

We're going to Provo in April - have reserved a small villa directly on Grace Bay. We've been to St. John (our sll-time favorite) several times and last year rented a villa at Silver Sands in Jamaica, which was lovely. This will be our first visit to T&C, and we're excited at the prospect of experienceing what we have heard so much about.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:34 AM

A long weekend in Puerto Rico in February. This will be our annual "tennis trip." We'll be playing at Palmas del Mar in Humacao.

Heading back to one of my favorite places, Grenada, in April -- my effort to help hurricane recovery. Aren't I selfless? Will wrap several days at True Blue Bay around a 4-day sailing charter with Horizon.

The first two trips are already booked; I plan early so I can use FF miles. But the usual November trip isn't finally decided yet. I'm thinking we'll probably return to my heaven on earth, Cat Island. If not that, then maybe the Abacos -- which I fell in love with all over again on my last trip, which I just came back from a couple of weeks ago -- or Andros.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
KVR

Alaska Cruise on NCL Sun in May, Aruba in Sept. and looking at Negril, Jamaica for Nov. The first 2 are already booked and purchased.

Our travel "to go" list is almost complete. We still have T & C, Antigua and a return to Mexico (once it's gets back in order from the hurricane) still to go.

Hoping for good weather next year.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM

5 day get away, Rose Hall Resort,Jamaica/golf and beach/r&r..march/april..Jost Van Dyke, bvi's and st. john usvi's..my 2 favorite islands !! just beautiful, laid back..heaven ! our trip to Jamaica is our 1st time there and i know since we'll be staying in montego bay at a AL resort we're not going to get the island flavor i so enjoy when we're in the caribbean but we got such a good deal we grabbed it! from what i've read about jamaica i'm more of a negril or south coast "girl" but the golf where we're going is great and need to keep the hubbies happy !! maybe next trip !!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM

We're going to beautiful Nevis next October to celebrate our anniversary.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM

back to provo in mid-march. prizren we are renting windows a la mar near turtle cove marina (a small villa directly on grace bay beach too). where will you be?
hope to head someplace new in nov or early dec but haven't picked yet. considering roatan or st.kitts/nevis
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I am heading back to T & C in March with two of my kids that are in boarding school and have a long March break.(My husband will stay home with my third child) Then going back to T & C in April with my husband and third child that has an Easter vacation.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Aruba, for the first time in Jan and Grand Cayman for the first time in March. Previously 2 cruises
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Before Hurricane Katrina, I would have said that we would be going to maybe Mexico, Anguilla, or St. John, in addition to some long weekend trips in the U.S.

Now, I'll say that we'll be happy to just move away from this state ASAP! Right now I don't really need to travel out of the country to experience the ineffeciency that you would expect to find in a 2nd & 3rd world country. I'm dealing with it right now- in the U.S. with the federal gov't!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM

First trip to the USVI next June with my husband and 12 yr old daughter. We'll spend 2 or 3 nights on St Thomas and then off to St John for a week...June seems SO far away!!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Planning a trip to Puerto Rico in January. Then it's Maui in March and Ireland in August. I'd really like to do St. John again in November, but I have a feeling our travel budget will be well spent by then ;-)
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM

We were in Nevis in May, just returned from 2 weeks in St Barths.

In the Spring I am going back to Nevis, not sure of the date yet. We are trying to plan next Thanksgiving (2006), but we are still undecided as to where to go! Sometimes it is a hard choice.

We are thinking maybe PR and Nevis or Harbour Island.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
lawchick

PSV again!

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Hope the destination here isn't just the Carib. We are planning a cruise of FP and the Cook islands. Well it LOOKS like the Carib.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Researching a possible first trip to Grand Cayman or we will return to Provo, T&C or Aruba. But as always, our family vacation is the first thing that goes in to the new "budget" every year.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:40 PM

3 weeks in London in June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -