Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Where are the Cayman travelers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/where-are-the-cayman-travelers-543965/)

anonxx Jul 13th, 2005 03:17 PM

Where are the Cayman travelers?

Just checking to see what happened to all of the Cayman Islands posts? There used to be so many, and now none???

joanie433 Jul 13th, 2005 06:46 PM

People are not going. Why - I'm not really sure. For the last period (maybe a month, I'm not sure) that they released stats on - stay-over tourism was down 34 thousand from what it had been the year before.

TomCayman Jul 13th, 2005 06:58 PM

People are going, but we still have a lot of condo and hotel rooms still as yet unopened, as many properties took the opportunity after Ivan to do major upgrades.

Why not so many posts on this board ? Well, I won't name it, but there is a very active new Cayman forum this year that is seeing a lot of "activity", but I would not "guide" you there :)

lisabees Jul 13th, 2005 07:08 PM

Tom - thanks for the, umm, information. ;) I was wondering the same thing!

On that note, how has the island been after Ivan? Any resort recommendations for four active kids and their parents?

Thanks again. Think I'll google around a bit now...

Lisa

beachluver Jul 13th, 2005 07:17 PM

Well, I don't know where everyone is, but I know where I am going this weekend-Grand Cayman!! We arrive Sunday, hopefully without Emily visiting(any of the islands). We will be staying with "Tom" at the Reef. Yipee, 4 days to go...

joanie433 Jul 14th, 2005 04:01 PM

Tom - am interested in your point of view - with 22 robberies in one day and the Westin being robbed and shots fired in town - do you think this is having an affect on tourism? Cayman was always a safe place before Ivan - Ivan seems to have done more than physical damage. We were there in May and there were few people. Restaurants were quite bare of patrons. We never felt safety was a problem but things seem to be changing from what they were in May. Would like your opinion of this issue. thanks

CaymanSue Jul 14th, 2005 04:20 PM

We have a condo on North Side that was "mashed up" by Ivan, and are just this week getting ready to demolish and rebuild. I have been on the island about 10 weeks since January 8, 2005. The recovery has been remarkable, but the island is still at only about 42% of tourist capacity. And now we have Emily to worry about.

filter14 Jul 14th, 2005 05:00 PM

I don't think the posts have diminished because of another message board. I frequent the AOL message board and the posts are down there too---but it's just because people had to or chose to make alternative plans after Ivan.

I agree that tourists aren't flocking to GC...just yet. We had to change our plans for this past Jan due to our condo not being reopened. It had slight damage yet they decided to do more work and thereby aren't due to open until Dec this year.

We plan on returning to GC next Jan. however won't stay at our original location. Reason being(in our opinion) they have chosen to raise the prices too high. Either they expect due to limited accomodations on Seven Mile Beach to pick up those guests, or the owners just don't need the extra income.

I understand materials and labor cost money but considering the statistics are showing a decline in tourists be it coming by plane or cruise ship, it doesn't seem like good business. Either way, we'll be back in Grand Cayman barring any major catastrophes. Our little side trip to Aruba in lieu of GC this year wasn't worth the time or money.

Joannie---I am interested in hearing more about the crime problem you mentioned. Might I find it online somewhere? Thanks.

joanie433 Jul 14th, 2005 09:00 PM

caymannetnews.com
cayman27.com.ky
caycompass.com

filter14 Jul 15th, 2005 03:27 AM

Thank Joanie433

I'm familiar with those sites but hadn't read specifically about the 22 burglaries in one day. Unfortunately I had read about the Westin and the shooting in town.

joanie433 Jul 15th, 2005 05:04 AM

filter13 - go to archives on caymannetnews.com - Monday July 11th for the robberies. Monday, July 4th for the carjacking.

filter14 Jul 15th, 2005 07:34 AM

Wow...I don't know if there's more to say after reading the articles.

lenleigh Jul 15th, 2005 01:07 PM

I read the articles and I'm still going. I guess after something like Ivan you could expect a little more crime. I think on a day to day basis my chances are worse here in the U.S. of being a victim of a crime than there.

anonxx Jul 16th, 2005 09:05 AM

Go to the Cayman Islands and have a wonderful vacation! We were there this spring and had a great time. I agree with you, even with the post-Ivan crime increase, I still felt safer in Grand Cayman than here. Hopefully Grand Cayman will get the crime stopped ASAP, I would hate to see it start to have the problems that the other islands have. That's a major reason we pay a premium to vacation in the Cayman Islands.