Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   When to visit the USVI? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/when-to-visit-the-usvi-799214/)

bry1105 Aug 4th, 2009 06:09 AM

When to visit the USVI?

I'm debating between two senarios concerning getting married and going on our honeymoon to St. John: 1) Get married in May and go on the honeymoon right after or 2) get married in June (better chance for nice weather) and go on the honeymoon 7 months later in January. Other than the cost of things, what things should I take into consideration when deciding between going to St. John in May or January? Advantages/disadvantages? Thanks!

doug_stallings Aug 4th, 2009 06:22 AM

It will be considerably more expensive to go to St. John in January than in May or June. However, the weather will probably be fine regardless of the month you choose. Hurricanes are rare through July, so you're fairly safe regardless. The winds in January can sometimes be a pain, and I actually prefer May or June as a time to travel to the Caribbean. But it's really a matter of personal preference.

If you want to stay at Caneel Bay, then you'll find some discounts in May and June, none in January in all likelihood, since travel is at its peak. My only advice would be to go early in January (ideally between New Year's Day and Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend) to get the best chance of meeting a small lull in tourism post-Christmas.

Jimmie Aug 4th, 2009 07:09 AM

May/June will be cheaper, less crowded, warmer water, no swells on north beaches, and probably better lodging availability.

bry1105 Aug 4th, 2009 08:09 AM

Ive heard that the water is rougher during the winter. Will this make our water activities less enjoyable?

doug_stallings Aug 4th, 2009 08:32 AM

More wind means rougher waters and even less visibility for diving and snorkeling. People choose January because it's cold up north, so a little wind isn't a hindrance, but that's why I prefer May/June ... anytime after Easter. Before that, the water can seem a bit chilly to me.

bry1105 Aug 4th, 2009 08:52 AM

Thanks Doug, you've been a lot of help! I guess I should go in May considering I am very much looking forward to diving & snorkeling. Now I just need to hope for nice weather in May for the wedding. I hope that's not asking too much for Wisconsin.

doug_stallings Aug 4th, 2009 01:17 PM

I don't want to discourage you too much. There is often nice weather in January, and it's not as if you won't be able to see anything underwater then (if you decide to go in the winter). I think the main advantage to going later is to save money ... considerably in some cases. The other question you need to ask is if you want to go to a resort like the Westin or Caneel Bay or if you want to rent a villa.

bry1105 Aug 4th, 2009 01:22 PM

Ive noticed that with villas AND resorts, the cost difference is as much as $1,000 for a week; but Im looking more towards renting a villa (probably near Coral Bay).

StanKase Aug 4th, 2009 05:26 PM

If you get married in early June and leave a few days latwer the risk of tropical depressions/ hurricanes is low and rates are 1/3 less+ to January. We went 4-5 times in July and only twice had 1 or 2 days out of 7-8 with poor weather. But with climate change there ares no guarantees.

CaliNurse Aug 5th, 2009 01:22 AM

Bry congrats on your upcoming marriage--only 10 months to go?

I'd go with your "marry in May/honeymoon right after" scenario: less expnsive, and good, but not too humid, weather.

Your choice of a villa/cottage instead of a resort is, IMHO, the smart one--cozier, more private, AND way cheaper than a resort like Caneel. And to second your choice of area, Coral Bay area is what I'd recommend as well.

tejana Aug 5th, 2009 07:16 PM

The only problem with January is that the Christmas winds might be up. If they are, many of the north shore beaches will be closed down or have danger signs posted because of the high surf.

beagles Aug 6th, 2009 05:29 AM

I would suggest going in May. We have been there in June and during the winter( Feb). Even though you may have quickly passing showers in May, the water is much calmer for snorkeling. We thought going in winter would be great bit we still had the quick showers and those winter winds created some big swells and some of the beaches were closed and our catamaran tour was cancelled. Even though "winter" seems to be popular, I would definitely choose May over January. Plus it is more expensive in the winter.

brenandg Aug 6th, 2009 06:31 AM

I agree with going in May or June instead of January. We pretty much go every May and November. But have been in March and June as well. The winter does bring the Christmas Winds and North Shore swells, the water temp is cooler, it is more crowded and more expensive. We have had the Christmas Winds as early as our Thanksgiving trips. Why not get married in June and go on your honeymoon then? The water temps will be great and the weather very warm (mid 80's). We never go in high season except that one March.

bry1105 Aug 6th, 2009 07:51 AM

I had originally decided to go in May/June, but the lure of going in January was to get away from these frigid Wisconsin winters. May or June it is! I just wanted to get the opinions of people who are more knowledgeable than I and have been there before. Thanks for your help everyone!