Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   when to book? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/when-to-book-955332/)

misslindsey Nov 1st, 2012 06:31 AM

when to book?

We are looking to book a vacation for May 2013, probably may 14 for 7 days. When would be the best time to BOOK this vacation for the cheapest price? We are flying out of philadelphia. I know the cheapest days to fly are tuesdays and thursdays, but i don't know proximity to travel date, what's cheapest. Thanks! (i am considering jolly beach resort and spa in antigua, they have been the cheapest i can find thus far that fits what we want)

KVR Nov 1st, 2012 07:02 AM

I usually book 6 weeks to 3 months out. I continualy check around until I find a price I can live with and then book. We usually leave on a Monday because of my work schedule, but the trip I booked for December to Cabo we are leaving on a Tuesday and it was a $200 difference between Monday and Tuesday.

Have you read the reviews of the Jolly Beach? We considered going there at one point and didn't. I love the look of their pool, but because it is about the cheapest AI there, it attracts lots of families. Are you bringing kids? The reviews also reports that the rooms are about the size of a inside cruise ship cabin and it's worth it to pay extra for a suite.

Have you looked at Blue Water, Cocobay, Coconut Beach or Grand Pineapple? We actually crossed Antitgua off our 'to go' list as I couldn't find anything to actually do there. We are not lie on the beach for a week people.

misslindsey Nov 1st, 2012 08:02 AM

no kids for us. I am a tad worried about activities in antigua, as we cant sit on the beach for a week either. but, if you have read any of my other posts you will see my dilemma in finding a suitable destination. (boyfriend is very picky) I am concerned about room quality at jolly, because we did end up spending a decent amount of time in the room in jamaica, but maybe that was only because the room was so nice.

I have no looked at those resorts, but will, thank you! I usually only look at what cheapcaribbean.com offers because they have a good website layout, decent prices, offer airfare and all inclusive in one price. basically just easiest website to navigate, not much to consider.

KVR Nov 1st, 2012 01:41 PM

I can't book cheapcaribbean as the do not offer my airport as a departure point.

I look at Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia and pick who ever have the best price. I have used Beachdestinations.com before also, but they don't offer as many hotel choices. I've tried Bookit.com but I don't like the set up of that site and they never have a good price.

If your boyfriend is that picky, I really don't think he will like Jolly Beach. We have stayed at 2 and 3 star iffy AI hotels in Mexico and Jamaica and I wouldn't even book there.

KVR Nov 1st, 2012 01:54 PM

Yes, I read and responded to your other posts.

For what you are asking for Mexico is the place. Too bad that you won't consider it. IMHO you get so much more than what Jamaica/Couples offers. Look at the El Dorado Maroma Beach, the Iberostar Grand Parsario and Secrets Maroma. The Couples resorts in Jamaica are a dump compared to those resorts and Maroma beach is far better.

If Antigua is your choice, look at Sandals. You might can get the lowest catagory room with your budget and it should compare nicely to Couples even though they are so much more expensive.

I know a Sandals Travel agent if your interested. She might can give you a better deal than the internet booking companies.

Knowing Nov 4th, 2012 02:03 PM

Sandals Antigua has a huge pool that is wonderful. We have been there twice, but we no longer recommend it. But I wouldn't recommend Jolly Beach either, even for it's good pricing.

There is plenty to do in Antigua!
- Nelson's Dockyard is amazing and we have tons of pictures that we took out there.
- Devil's Bridge
- A beautful cathederal
- A museum
- Redcliffe Quay
- A farmer's market on certain days
- We hired a driver one day who drove us around the island. Fantastic drive!

I wouldn't worry too much about being bored.

DTAntigua Nov 6th, 2012 05:57 AM

You may also want to consider one of the Jolly Harbour villas and self cater - there is a supermarket in the area and several places to eat so you can stock up or go out to your pleasure.

Jolly Beach is a 3 star resort. If you're happy with a small room and little amenitites, then you will be fine with a super standard or standard room. However, if you need some space to stretch out, I'd again tell you to try a Jolly Harbour villa. Several different companies run the hundreds of villas available, and it would probably work out cheaper to hire a villa (many for $100 per night or less) and then self cater