Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   when is it too late to book? help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/when-is-it-too-late-to-book-help-350641/)

leigh23 Aug 22nd, 2003 08:48 AM

when is it too late to book? help!

Does anyone know when it is too late to book for the last week in December (2003) for Nassau/PI? I normally go through Expedia or Orbitz for my vacation packages. I booked a trip to PI for spring break last year and found a great deal at a great hotel- and I booked it only about a month or so in advance. Right now, the options are very slim through Expedia and Orbitz and very expensive (I realize its the holiday week, but much more expensive than I had thought). Does anyone know if this will change if I wait it out a little while or is this it? Am I too late already? Any info/suggestions would be great! Thanks.

cartera45 Aug 22nd, 2003 10:46 AM

I have always been able to beat Expedia and Orbitz prices through a travel agent and a good one can guide you on when to book and can keep you posted on fares and whether they expect a dip between now and then.

wantsomesun Aug 22nd, 2003 11:06 AM

The last week in December is THE peak week in the Bahamas. The prices will not go down, but I would agree checking with a local travel agent.

Also you might try www.libertytravel.com which is a travel agency we have used several times and have gotten great prices.

The Atlantis will be very full over the holidays, so if you want to stay at one of the hotels there, book NOW.

You can probably wait a bit on airfare but I would not wait long as there are fewer planes flying.

Try Continental, Delta, US Air, and American all fly into Nassau.

Good luck

leigh23 Aug 22nd, 2003 12:43 PM

Thanks for your responses! When you say that you beat expedia and orbitz through a travel agent - did that include hotel + airfare? I'm definintely going to look into it..Thanks again!

And to anyone who knows - will it be too cold to swim/snorkel that time of the year (late december)? i've checked the average weather, read other posts, etc..but nothing is a guarantee, i suppose.

cartera45 Aug 22nd, 2003 02:01 PM

Yes, it includes airfare and hotel. Try to get recommendations from someone in your area. It is also nice to deal with someone who has actually been to the island that you are considering. My long time travel agent retired so I got my best price for Jamaica in April through Escape to Eden www.escapetoeden.com The other place that gave me a great price but I couldn't get the flight I wanted was through www.tourscan.com With each place, I dealt with a person, rather than just internet communication.

sunlady Aug 31st, 2003 09:09 AM

The ocean is not going to be too cold to beach swim/snorkel in December. Sure, it like hot bath water in July, but it is still swimmable in December. If you are a woman that is always cold and are going on snorkel/dive trips, perhaps a shortie dive suit will make you more comfortable for swims longer than an hour.