Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   When is AI Better Than Pay As You Go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/when-is-ai-better-than-pay-as-you-go-683052/)

Tango Feb 26th, 2007 06:54 AM

When is AI Better Than Pay As You Go?

We are going to Round Hill, Jamaica in April. We are thinking about the AI option but not sure that it is as cost effective as pay as you go? It's $145 a day per adult and $72.50 per child.

Has anyone stayed here and taken this option? BTW - my husband and I both drink and would indulge in at least a few cocktails throughout the day!

Thanks,

JB

Knowing Feb 26th, 2007 08:12 AM

If you are staying for a week and planning on having a wonderful time right at the resort, it may be worth doing the AI. We haven't stayed at Round Hill ourselves, but hear it's a worthwhile place to stay at. If you want to dine around MoBay and the rest of the island, then it's not a good deal.
We understand that if you stay in their villas you get a cook to make your breakfast. That sounds good, particularly if you have children The flip side is that we were told that the dining is pretty limited as there is only one restaurant. We have often found that drinks at the bar at the hotels we have stayed at are very overpriced but you can go elsewhere and get a bettter deal. But remember that Round Hill is pretty far out. That may also be a good enough reason for you to do an AI there.

KVR Feb 27th, 2007 03:50 AM

First, determine if you expect to actually spend approx $362.00 per day on food and drinks. (2 adults and 1 child) For a 7 night stay that's about $2,534 for an AI option. That's pretty expensive compared to other places. When figuring also include prices for taxis to/from outside resturants and tips for driver/waitstaff.

We love AI and will choose that option if it's available, but personally we would pick a different place to stay where the AI option is not so expensive.

Do you think spending that much on an AI option is worth it to you or do you think you'll spend more or less than that on outside resturants and bars including cab fare? We've never spent more than $1,400 on an AI option and that was in Grand Cayman, where food and drink prices are very high. Even in Hawaii, where there is not any AI hotels we only spent $1,200 for a 7 night stay.

ParrotMom Feb 27th, 2007 05:09 AM

At this point we choose AIs because I don't want the hassle of deciding where to eat our meals at night..

JeanH Feb 28th, 2007 05:52 AM

The reason Parrotmom chooses to do an all-inclusive option is the exact reason we chooose not to. I love trying different restaurants for every meal. For me, it's the best part of the trip, even if it does cost more.

Tango Feb 28th, 2007 08:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I like to do both - sometimes AI and sometimes dine around. And it depends on the island. St. Bart's would definitely be a dine around, not an all inclusive!

I think I've decided to do the AI at Round Hill...just so I don't have to think about where to eat. And they do have a "Dine Around" Program with 4 restaurants in town. If we don't like the food at the resort I guess that's what we'll do.

One thing I forgot to include is that I don't mind spending more if I am getting value for the dollar. And the AI at Round Hill includes all meals, beverages, private transfers, 2 massages, 2 horseback rides, 2 raft rides and all gratuities. So I ended up thinking this is a good deal.

greenie Feb 28th, 2007 09:20 AM

When I first started going to the caribbean I liked AI because it was easy. Now that I've been around a bit, I enjoy renting a car and getting out. I don't like having to eat in the same restaurant night after night.

I think if you're always looking for AI you limit yourself. Get out and explore!

Peace

Tango Feb 28th, 2007 10:13 AM

I do like to explore...but with a 4 year old and a husband that's had food poisoning in Jamaica before I think we will be a little more careful this time around! I am shocked my husband even agreed to come back to Jamaica, but he does know that getting sick can happen anywhere.

I am just looking forward to being on VACATION!

liza Feb 28th, 2007 12:51 PM

Sounds like a good deal, especially with all that is included AND you can "dine around" in Montego Bay on it as well.

doug_stallings Mar 1st, 2007 09:43 AM

Round Hill's AI plan is a decent value, and I'd endorse it even more strongly if you don't plan to rent a car.

You'll easily spend $150 on dinner there for two, so with the other inclusions, you can see that it's not such a bad deal. I don't know which restaurants are included in their dine-around program, but that will give you an option for a couple of nights. Just watch out for expensive taxi rates since Round Hill is a few miles south of MoBay proper.

They do make a wonderful fruit punch there, either alcoholic or not ... you have to taste it.

Just be aware that Round Hill is not your typical resort. You may find it pretty quiet, and I don't consider it particularly family-friendly (Half Moon is much better in that regard, but a very different kind of experience). The beach is small, but the new pool is great. The rooms can be a good value, but many of the villas are breathtaking.

Tango Mar 1st, 2007 04:00 PM

Thanks Doug. We don't like typical resorts for the most part. I think we will love it. Regarding kids - my ta has several clients with kids that LOVE Round Hill because the nannies are so well trained. Also after reading some reviews I think it will be fine for us. And my daughter is an only child so she is as mature as an almost 5-year old can be!

The restaurants that are included are Marguerites, Town House, Ma Lous and one other I can't think of.

Thanks for all replies!

JB

Tango May 4th, 2007 09:48 AM

Doug,

After being at Round Hill 2 weeks ago, I wanted to let you know that it is definitely family friendly.

The place was jam-packed with kids ranging in age from 1-years old to teengers! Many of the kids were at the Kid's Club and with hired nannies.

The Kid's Club is included in the price...but really geared towards the under 4-years old crowd. My 5-year old did like face painting, the nature walk and the treasure hunt but prefered to be at the beach.

Also, the teenagers that were there (many less than the little kids)seemed to be having a great time too! Not a single child looked bored!

The staff learned our name quickly AND our daughter's! They greeted her every time they saw her. And, kids are welcome at every meal, which made it nice for us to eat late and still have her out and about.

Round Hill may not be for every family but it suited us perfectly!

Read my review of Round Hill at www.Tripadvisor.com.

marymarra May 4th, 2007 05:49 PM

Hi Tango, we have looked at Round Hill, but had trouble figuring out if there is a room option that gives you an extra room or space for your child to sleep on a pullout couch; we looked at the villas, but I could never get a clear answer from reservations there about whether or not the living rooms in a what they call a "one bedroom" were outside (making it difficult for child to stay there) and the only option seemed to be one room in the Pineapple House. Where did you stay on property?

Thanks!

Mary

Tango May 5th, 2007 11:31 AM

We stayed in the Pineapple House. Each room has a little sitting area with two sofa-like lounges to sit on. They must have taken out one and put in a bed for my daughter. This is hard to explain but it was very comfortable and made up like a bed but slightly smaller than a single bed. Perfect for a 5 year old. My travel agent had told me that some adults whom she had made arrangements for found it comfortable too.

I found it hard to get answers too. My travel agent made all the arrangements. If you'd like her name, answer back and provide your email and I will send it. She is FANTASTIC!!!

marymarra May 5th, 2007 11:58 AM

Tango, so good to know; we ended up abandoning Round Hill because I got so frustrated with their people! Friends from my daughter's school, however, just went for spring break and raved about it! I would love your
TA's name; I'm at [email protected]

thanks!

Mary

P. S. Did your daughter do any of the kid's camp activities?

Tango May 13th, 2007 03:29 AM

Mary,

I hope you got my email. Please let me know.

JB