When are you in paradise?

Dec 4th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

When are you in paradise?

To answer this question, there is no need to name any specific island as we all know that we have different tastes. But my question is: What things during your vacation in the caribbean make you say, "Wow, I'm in paradise!".
Basically, what are your favorite parts of your vacation, where ever that may be?

Here are a couple thoughts that truely make it all worth while for us:

1) Stepping off that plane for the first time, feeling that warm rush of tropical air in your face. This is a small slice of heaven all in it's own. especially when there is some type of Calypso music to greet you.

2) That first dinner outside on a dimly lit patio under the palm trees, looking out over the water & stars. Savoring that wonderful fresh seafood. Holding my wife's hands, and telling her I love her. Doesn't get much better....

3) Sitting under a sea-grape tree, looking out at the several shades of turquoise water. I could do that everyday for the rest of my life.

4) We love to snorkel, and when I'm out floating above a beautiful coral head, watching a colorful parrotfish crunch away at the coral, I simply say to myself, "Ahh, now this is paradise."

Please share your favorite moments of your vacations, and the things that keep us all coming back for more....

Warm Thoughts to all!!
Dec 4th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Scott - totally agree with your No. 1, especially adding in the scent of tropical flowers and greenery in the air. Love to snorkel also, especially when you are lucky enough to swim with some sea turtles.

One of our favorite condos faces the ocean and sipping a tropical drink on our patio watching the sun set is wonderful. That same condo has a great swim up bar and sitting in the water enjoying the sun with just a beer and a burger is heaven.

I love to cruise and stepping aboard that ship and buying that first foo foo drink complete with paper umbrella means I'm on vacation!
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Loved your list, ScottB, but my favorite is:

Waking up on that first morning, pulling on shorts, not jeans, and stepping out into that tropical sunshine on your balcony or porch.
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM

I find paradise when the feeling of being on a semi-secluded island with many endless, deserted beaches, with a Caribbean side of smooth, calm waters and talcum-powdered sand. The beach is narrow, with only 60 feet stroll from a turquoise and gin-colored sea to a a canopy of palm, Caribbean Pine and seagrape. The shorline is undeveloped, and I know I'm isolated and enveloped by natural surroundings, with no condos or beach houses beyond the green canopy lining the endless beach. The water is bathwater warm, shallow, with sand and grass flats interrupted by patch reefs of hard and soft corals and sponges covering all the primary colors, protecting full of reef fish, squid, octopus, stingrays, and moray eels. I can snorkel out in 6 feet of water, and experience the sand flats and grass beds, exploring around the built up patch reefs. There is a remote, thatched-roof bar with bamboo walls, that operates on the "honor system": a refrigerator full of cold beer, and a cigar box to put your money in. I spend the day reef snorkeling, seeing exotic fish and critters, including sea horses in the grass beds, and take frequent breaks, by lounging in the shade of coconut palms, and drinking a cold beer. Robert
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Is there a place in the Caribbean that reminds anyone of Robert's post?? Please let me know and I'll be packing my bags!
Dec 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Gin

Sitting on my balcony (ice cold beer in hand) as the sun sets - and then I hear it - the first tree frog.
Dec 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM
EJC

I'm in paradise when my wife and I are lounging on a white sand beach. She has a book in-hand and I have a beer in-hand. I'ts about 87 degrees and the view of palm trees, blue skies, turquoise water, and half-naked women are all that's seen through my sunglasses. NOW THAT'S PARADISE!!!
Dec 6th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Great idea! I remember being in Jamaica on one occasion when I had the perfect paradise moment. I was laying on the beach facing sunset on the day of the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, with no worries, on a beautiful, clear day, just me, my family and a big smile! I think I will always remember that day because it was as close to pure relaxation as I have ever been.
There also is one other memory and that is of our first beach vacation, in Nassau. We got in rather late and after breakfast the next morning we hopped a mini bus to town. I will never forget the feeling of pure jot when my eyes beheld the beautiful turquoise sea and the lush plant life for the very first time up close and personal.
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:10 PM

Seeing 200+ Yellowfin Tuna hit the surface all within striking distance of whatever I'm dragging behind a Pirogue.

Eating one of them Creole stylee for dinner.
Dec 7th, 2003, 01:53 PM

-Taking a ferry or boatride over the gorgeous crystal blue/green waters.

-Getting fresh fruit in your drinks...or better yet getting frozen drinks served to you on the beach.

-Looking and seeing only 7 other people on a beautiful quiet, powder white sand beach....no screaming kids...just the sound of the ocean.

-Floating endlessly on a raft in the ocean.

-Reading a good book or magazine on the beach and everytime I look up it takes my breath away to take in the view.
Dec 7th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Sitting on the front of a dive boat with my husband, sailing along the turquoise waters of Providenciales to the 7,000 ft. wall dive spot, sun beating down on us with our wet-suits half on, the wind breezing through our hair...
Dec 8th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I AM IN PARADISE WHEN I realize I am not thinking about work, my problems and how to fix them, what is waiting for me when I return, if my pets are ok while I am gone, and things I have to do...When my mind is truly free and at peace...usually happens when I am in a cool breeze somewhere looking at an amazing sight reading, painting, taking pictures, or listening to music.....
Dec 8th, 2003, 02:01 PM

I'm in paradise every evening when I watch the green flash while sitting on my patio with a nice glass of wine in hand. I agree with Gin about the first tree frog of the evening, too!

Beatle, I think Robert might be referring to Shoal Bay on Anguilla. At least that's my guess.