Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   WHAT'S WRONG WITH BELIZE? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/whats-wrong-with-belize-142264/)

ERIN Jan 15th, 2002 06:01 PM

WHAT'S WRONG WITH BELIZE?

I AM TRYING TO PLAN A WEDDINGMOON FOR MAY, AND WAS CONSIDERING AMBERGRIS CAYE, BELIZE. WHAY DOESN'T ANYONE GO THERE? IT LOOKED SO NICE ON TEMPTATION ISLAND! ALSO CONSIDERING ST. LUCIA, BUT AM LOOKING FOR BETTER DIVING IF POSSIBLE. ANY INFO OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Sue Jan 15th, 2002 06:31 PM

I too have heard so much about Belize. It seems so nive and everyone seems to be traveling there. I would love to hear more about it!

Eva Jan 16th, 2002 03:34 AM

Belize IS wonderful, and does get a fair amount of visitors, though not too many (most folks post their questions on the Latin America board). However, it is important to have realistic expectations.<BR><BR>For starters, the location with the most substantial tourism infrastructure is Ambergris Caye. However, the beaches there will disappoint someone who wants only to veg on the beach. The beaches are narrow, many with trucked-in sand, and there is seagrass close to the water's edge. This is a result of the spectacular barrier reef just offshore, and provides an excellent habitat for sea life ... but it doesn't give you the quintessential beach experience. There are lovely beaches on some of the small islands right on the reef, but those require a boat ride; and I understand that the beaches further south down the coast, as far as Placencia and Punta Gorda, are much nicer ... but those destinations are more rustic than even Ambergris.<BR><BR>The main town on Ambergris Caye, San Pedro, is a sleeply little village with sandy streets, where "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem" rules the day. No chain restaurants or chain hotels here. No all-inclusive mega-resorts. Low key nightlife, as a great many vistors are divers resting up from a day of diving or for an early morning dive trip the next day. The diving, incidentally, is among the best in the world.<BR><BR>Away from the beach, there are Mayan ruins, mangrove swamps, jungle lodges, etc. There is an amazing variety of things to do. Add to that a mix of lovely, warm people and you've got a great destination.<BR><BR>Feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions. I've only visited once, but can't wait to get back.<BR>

Karen Jan 16th, 2002 04:14 AM

I haven't been there, but my friends went to the Inn at Robert's Grove in Placencia last year and liked it alot. I think it was a short plane ride from Belize City although I think you can drive it as well.

Peggy Jan 16th, 2002 09:12 AM

I had the pleasure of staying in Placencia, Belize last February. I stayed at Kitty's Place, a lovely place with a cabana right on a great quiet beach. We walked into town most nights for dinner. Had great food, met many great people. Lovely, friendly country. Went caving, (wet & dry) what a blast. Snorkeled and dove several times on the reef and some outer cayes. I can't say enough - not to mention experiencing howler monkeys in the jungle....