What's Up? AA Just Raised Rates By $500

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Doug

What's Up? AA Just Raised Rates By $500

I've been watching rates from Chicago to St.T.conecting through San Juan for Jan. 2002. Tickets were running below $500. Yesterday they all went to around $950??? What's up with that??? I need 4 <BR>tickets. I think I just lost 2 grand. <BR> <BR>Doug <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Doug! I have been following with interest your search for a ticket before your charter in the BVI's (I had been wondering too if it's worth getting a bestfares.com membership and while I was doing a search for that in various boards, your search for tickets on AA and on United came up). <BR> <BR>It is quite normal for fares to go significantly up and down in all markets. I've seen it with fares to South America (Argentina and Chile were $1,200 one day, $550 the next), Italy were $900 one day, $440 the next, etc. They WILL COME DOWN. You have quite some time to get your tickets, so keep watching the fares and relax. Next time they are under $500, buy them. <BR> <BR>By the way, what happened to the direct United flight?

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Linda

January is high season and the rates will be higher.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Karen

Sometimes there is a raise just before they go on sale at the end of July beginning of August (sometimes they do it depending on island destination!). However, they seldom will go below that $500 mark again for the rest of the year. When I see 'em in that $400 - $500 range, eapeically for after December 15, that's usually a low for the year for flights to the Caribb and I try to grab 'em. Always figure if they go down signifigantly (more than $75 change fee), I can switch 'em! Never had to yet!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Doug

Thanks Mariarosa, <BR> <BR>I guess I should have bought them. The direct United flight is still there at the same price,$1048.10 but I was being tempted by the much cheaper AA flight. We'd pretty much decided to close up shop, leave a day early & get a hotel for the night. <BR>I hope you're right that rates will come down. I'll kick myself now AND I'll take your advice & buy when they're under $500.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Doug

Karen, <BR> <BR>OK that gives me something to watch for. An August sale sounds great, let's hope it happens. <BR> <BR>I'm new at this, bare with me. Did I understand you corectly? There is a $75 charge to change a ticket so if a fare drops $200 you can still save $125? <BR> <BR>This is all startin to stress me out. Thanks for evryones help. <BR> <BR>Doug <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Amanda

Doug, <BR> <BR>I saw the same thing. I found the $450 fare to St Thomas on Tuesday, then yesterday as I was clicking on it, it jumped $500! It'll come down. But I agree with the others - you have to jump on a good deal when you see it.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 11:58 AM
cousin oliver

change fee went up to $100 from $75.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 03:45 AM
rqf

The San Juan market is busiest from the middle of December through January and into February. The least expensive tickets are long gone and it is not likely that fares will come down for that market.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Karen

Opps! forgot that they raised that change fee! But you should also know that the difference will not be refunded in cash but in vouchers to use on another trip.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Doug

All, <BR> <BR>I just booked-em $454.10 on the internet. They dropped back down again. AA through SJU. My travel agent still was showing $950 this morning. <BR> <BR>Thanks Again for evryones help!!!!! <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Mariarosa

Doug, that is wonderful news! Enjoy your holiday!