Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   What's the story with Cat Island Bahamas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/whats-the-story-with-cat-island-bahamas-177230/)

mark Aug 18th, 2001 05:54 PM

What's the story with Cat Island Bahamas

Found a website of former owners of Cutlass Bay Resort, Cat Island. If the site is to be believed, Cat Island is a hotbed of drugs, murder and mayhem. Can this be true?

Peggy Aug 19th, 2001 08:43 AM

Do a text search on Cat Island & you will get the posts that will answer some of your questions. We have considered it to & the most recent post sounds encouraging for Fernandez Bay Village as a destination.

brightone Aug 19th, 2001 04:25 PM

HI Mark, just a FYI drugs and crime are everywhere, it's the level of crime that makes or breaks a vacation destination. Just look at the USA. It's crime central, yet folks flock there for vacations each year. There is a lady, "Sandy", reporting about the crimes in this area for a book she is selling. Don't give into sensationalism and miss out on a good vacation spot.

mark Aug 19th, 2001 05:02 PM

Dear Brightone: You've answered my question. Basically I was wondering if the Cutlass Bay site was just alot of sensationalism or if everything mentioned really happened.

Brightone Aug 20th, 2001 05:47 AM

Hi Mark, glad I could help. Most likely there is truth within the reports but they are heavily inflated and exaggerated to make the island look bad. Such is not true. Cat Island is a very laid back island and has it's good and bad points like everywhere else on earth.

franl May 24th, 2002 09:37 AM

topping to see if anyone has been to cat island recently

scubagirl May 24th, 2002 03:59 PM

I was there last summer for the regatta, had a blast. <BR>The beaches are THE most beautiful I've ever seen, and the people couldn't have been more gracious.<BR><BR>We stayed on out boat, so I can't speak to accomodations, but everyone we talked to were in Heaven.<BR><BR>It is NOT for everyone. There is little to do, or see, but the quiet serenity is priceless.<BR>

franl May 25th, 2002 06:39 AM

Scuba-girl: We love islands where there is not much to see or do. We go on island vacations primarily for vegging out on beautiful beaches. Thanks for your response. When is Regatta time on Cat Island?

Howard May 25th, 2002 07:56 AM

Cutlass Bay used to be a clothing optional resort. Don't know if it still is

scubagirl May 25th, 2002 10:26 AM

Fran,<BR>Regatta was the first week of August, (August Monday). The heat was brutal, but noone really noticed. The beaches were breathtaking and the people couldn't have been more accomodating.<BR>Funny thing, they forgot to bring the boats for the regatta(they come in on the mailboats), so we just partied and watched local races only. Nobody cared. <BR><BR><BR>

Danny May 25th, 2002 03:14 PM

Cutlass Bay doesn't exist anymore, and it was a dump. That website is a ripoff and the people posted extremely derogatory comments about Cat Island for almost a year in late 2000/early 2001 and got hammered by just about everyone that ever bothered to answer the postings. It was nothing more than sensationalism by the people running Cutlass Bay, which was in fact a nudy place in a nation that frowns upon that type of behaviour. Photos that were quite obviously faked, stories that were so full of holes that the village idiot could understand and outrageous lies about an island that 99.9% of the people visiting say is beautiful, serene and full of friendly and helpful residents. Go and enjoy.<BR><BR>Danny

franl May 25th, 2002 06:17 PM

Thanks, Danny. I was skeptical about that Cutlass Bay website. I've been to Exuma and Abaco and thought they were wonderful---beautiful beaches and great people---and definitely want to see what Cat Island is like. Is there a hotel/resort that you can recommend?

Danny May 26th, 2002 06:24 AM

Hi Fran,<BR> That's something I can't help with. I've never been to Cat Island, becoming involved in the Cutlass Bay story only because it's author posted garbage on a dozen or more Bahamian message boards and I looked into it and read literally dozens of responses calling the story a pack of lies. Wish I could help, but I'm sure there will be someone who can.<BR><BR>Danny