What's the scoop on Prospect Reef?

Feb 1st, 2001, 12:12 PM
Robin

What's the scoop on Prospect Reef?

My fiance' and I are trying to plan our honeymoon and a travel consultant suggested going to Tortolla Isaland staying at Prospect Reef. From what I've found so far the reviews of the resort range from poor to excellent so I'm rather confused. I understand that it's been going through renovation lately. Anyone have an idea as to completeness of the job? I'd hate to get stuck in a construction zone, especially on my honeymoon. (We're planning a mid-July trip.)

Also, what's the best to do on Tortolla? Need as much first hand info as you can give me. (Promotional brochures are just a lot of candy glossing in my opinion.)

Thanks,
Robin

Feb 1st, 2001, 12:51 PM
Neil

We were in Tortola over Xmas, staying at Long Bay. We drove by Prospect Reef several times, but never went in. However, it did not seem to be a good location--its on the side of the island where there are no beaches to speak of, and it fronted on the busiest road on the island (the main access road to Roadtown). You might want to consider Frenchman's Cay, Long Bay, or Lambert's Cove.
Tortola is a fairly laid back island, and not overly touristy. We rented a jeep and had a great time driving up and down the hills and visiting the various beaches on the North coast. We particularly liked Smuggler's Cove, Brewer's Bay, and Josiah's Bay.
You should also plan a day sail. We took a catamaran to the Indians and Norman Island for a day of snorkeling--it was the highlight of our trip. You can also take ferries to Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, St. John and St. Thomas.
We are not much for nightlife, but one of the main spots is Bomba's Shack, which is literally a shack right on the beach. When there's a full moon, there is a huge full moon party attended by sailers from all over the area. The BVI are beautiful--have a great honeymoon.

Feb 5th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Beverly

For your honeymoon, you should keep looking. I stayed at Prospect Reef and it was very simple, quiet, trying to upgrade. I was just looking for a place to stay that was inexpensive and very low key. They have no beach but a kind of seawater pool which is created when the waves wash over rocks places around their sand covered platform. At first they placed me in a first floor room fronting the private road but I asked for one of the upper rooms - no a/c but I didn't really need that - with a small balcony with view of the ocean. Some of the units have been refurbished but overall, there was not much resort ambiance. They have hired a French trained spa technician and have built oceanside spa treatment huts. Prospect Reef was convenient for me to start and end my week and leave my things while I chartered a sailboat with a friend during the week to sail around Tortola and Virgin Gorda. I got what I was looking for but I would imagine you are looking for something more special for your honeymoon. If you go to Tortola, I recommend an excellent Italian restaurant, Brandywine, which is on a hill overlooking the water. The food and

Feb 5th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Beverly

Sorry, got cut off.
Anyway, Brandywine Restaurant was a romantic hideaway, gourmet food, and the owner, Davide Puglese, was very welcoming. We were pampered. They let us sit on the terrace with our drinks, place our order with the waiter while we watched the sunset, and seated us when dinner was ready to be served.

Feb 6th, 2001, 03:21 PM
steve

Prospect Reef is a dive resort and not much else. I can't see going to Tortolla for a honeymoon.St John's is better, but not much. Consider a sailing trip around the Virgins with a hired crew, stopping off for a swim and some rum at many of the great little islands, all within eyesight.Check out the Moorings and others....VERY romantic.

Feb 6th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Beverly

I would agree that the best thing I did while in Tortola was charter a sailboat from the Moorings. You can hire a crew and groceries if you want to relax. We chartered a smaller boat because my friend is an experienced sailor. Many nice places to visit and snorkel or stop in for nightlife/entertainment. I have heard of Windstar and Windjammer cruises and wondered if you need to participate in handling the boat/sailing or can you just relax and be a passenger. I could see that the "thing to do" in the BVI was charter a sailboat. Great experience and would do it again.

Feb 8th, 2001, 10:28 AM
steve

Windstar is a classy boat, around 140 passengers, very relaxed upscale, great cabins, highly recommended. In reality it barely "sails" and when it does, it's all electronic. I don't think it does the Virgins circular route, which is really for smaller boats. Windjammer(we've been on both) is a more funky affair. these are older converted "yachts". The accomodations are minimal, the food adequate, and you can fool around with hoisting the sails only if you wan't to. You get kindof a "piraty", barefoot feel on these boats, and they do cruise around the Virgins.

Feb 8th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Donna

Enjoy Tortola. I went there 2 years ago and stayed at Frenchmens Cay. It's the only place I'd consider if I go back. The best beach and snorkeling were at Smugglers Cove. Frenchmens Cay is really private - perfect for you honeymoon.