What's the best island?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
where

What's the best island?

We have 2 free tix to the Caribbean and we are having a tough time deciding where to go.<BR>We dont want casios, crowds and shopping...looking for a quiet beautiful tropical haven--great beaches, landscape, people and food. Does it exist? Or do I have to travel to the Pacific seas? Thanks for the help!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:26 PM
nancy

i say st. john. we stayed at caneel bay and loved it. the beaches were great and not that crowded. you can do great snorkeling there, do day trips to other islands, go on hikes (it's mostly a national park) and the restaurants in cruz bay were amazing...we didn't have a bad meal in 5 nights out...all were terrific. it is a sleepy island that felt very uncrowded to us. not touristy at all!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:19 PM
Brad

St. Barths and St. Kitts have all of what you want -- St. Kitts is as picturesque as it gets, and very nice people. St. Barths has the best restaurants in the Caribbean, and some of the best in the world. St. Kitts also has great food. And if you're looking for great beaches, and to get away from crowds, both are perfect. I sometimes wonder if people have even heard of St. Kitts based upon the lack of crowds there, but it's a spectacular island.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:16 AM
paul

Yes it exists in several places. I assume when you say food you're not referring to transplanted food from the states. When you say people, I assume you mean people other than just more American tourists.<BR><BR>Try St.Kitts, Nevis, St.Barts, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica. None are crowded, all have their own decidedly non-American culture, good local food, & natural beauty (St.Barts, however, has great beaches, but is arid & does not compare to the others in natural beauty. Dominica is drop-dead beautiful, but has only a few beaches, none very good)

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:01 AM
St. John Fan

St.John is the absolute best. Stayed at Caneel Bay - great food great beaches, and great weather. If you like to go first class, this is it.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Joe

Go to Aruba!! It is quiet, and there is everything to do from snorkeling, to scuba, to sitting alone on a beach. <BR>Go to BABY BEACH in Aruba, you will probably be the only people there, and the snorkling is the best in the caribbean. I have been to the entire southern and eastern caribbean, ARUBA is the best island to visit, and is quiet without being commercialized.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
Paul

Aruba is not commercialized? I seem to remember American fast food places all around.<BR><BR>My lasting memory of Baby Beach is the huge and absolutely hideous refinery right near it, belching pollution into the blue sky. What an eyesore.