Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   What's a good airfare from Newark/NY to Cozumel in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/whats-a-good-airfare-from-newark-ny-to-cozumel-in-may-162931/)

Maddy Jan 13th, 2003 03:21 AM

What's a good airfare from Newark/NY to Cozumel in May?

We've decided on Cozumel for the first time- Memorial Day week - and are trying to decide whether to book airfare now or wait for better prices. Right now tickets on Continental out of Newark are ~ $750 which seems expensive to me. We can also leave out of JFK or LGA if prices are better but right now I don't find anything from NYC much cheaper. <BR><BR>Is it likely I'll see a sale to Cozumel from Newark/NY for May? I'm not familiar with how pricing works for this market but I can't recall seeing Cozumel listed as a destination when I've looked at the airlines sale ads. Is $750 a decent fare? If not, any alternatives you can suggest would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. <BR>

Nancy Jan 13th, 2003 05:31 AM

Maddy,<BR>You have a couple of options.<BR>You are right - $750 is waaay too high.<BR>You need to wait.<BR>We go to Cozumel every year in May from RDU.<BR>What I do is to keep checking airfares to Cancun on AA or Delta, and when it gets down to $300 to $350 I book it.<BR>(If you can get a flight to Cozumel for less than $400., book it :)<BR>I then book my flight to Cozumel from Cancun separately on Aerocaribe/Aeromexico/Mexicana.<BR>(It's a 20 min. flight that runs $50. to $100. pp rt and runs multiple times daily.)<BR>In 2002, we flew for $330 pp. total.<BR>May is low season, and you might have to wait a little while to get your price, but it WILL finally go way down.<BR>You can also try one of the auction sites, but I'm not a fan of those because most don't let you choose your flight times.<BR>Just keep watching, and the prices will go down.<BR>Have fun!

Maddy Jan 13th, 2003 07:31 AM

Nancy thanks very much for your help. I thought $750 sounded high but I know in certain non-competitive markets prices sometimes are out of whack. I will definitely wait and keep an eye out for the sales to Cancun that you mentioned. <BR><BR>One additional question ….is it worth looking into one of the charter operators? I'm hesitant as I've read some horror stories about Apple and others. I also don't want an all-inclusive package type deal as I already have the Inter-Continental in mind for hotel. Any thoughts on whether doing air only on a charter is an option worth considering?<BR>

Nancy Jan 13th, 2003 09:21 AM

You have definitely picked the right hotel :) 2003 will make our tenth year of staying there. You'll love it.<BR>If you have access to a charter and the price is right, I'd probably go with it.<BR>The risk you run with charters is that if something goes wrong with the plane, or if there are scheduling/weather issues, they don't have other aircraft to put you on or cooperation with the other airlines to get you on another plane.<BR>We have flown charters a couple of times to the Bahamas and never had any problems, but it's a risk you run.<BR>From what I understand, the surprise most people get with Apple and the like are hotels not up to expectation.<BR>You wouldn't have to worry about that with the IC - it's a great place!

Linda Jan 13th, 2003 09:52 AM

Book the air as part of a package and you will get better air rates and you'll also get the hotel you want.

Maddy Jan 13th, 2003 12:56 PM

Nancy I'm glad to hear that we've chosen wisely on the hotel. Any particular type of room/location I should request or try to avoid? <BR><BR>I have exactly the concern you mentioned regarding the charter. I don't want to lose days out of a week vacation because of a problem with an airplane. <BR><BR>I did check into Continental's vacation package but the price didn't change much compared to booking the components myself. I think I'll just wait out the sales for the time being...

Nancy Jan 13th, 2003 03:13 PM

Maddy,<BR>There are 3 main sections to the hotel - the tower (it's about 5 stories) and 2 two story low rise sections.<BR>One lowrise section has the Reef Rooms (the best rooms that are huge and just steps from the beach), and the other wing has the deluxe beachfront - 1st floor - and deluxe oceanview - 2nd floor - rooms. The tower has the oceanview rooms. On the back side of the reef rooms and the bottom of the tower are the garden view rooms.<BR>The reef rooms are the most expensive, then the dlx ocean front, then the deluxe ocean view, then the oceanview, then the garden.<BR>We have stayed in all the room categories, and the best are the reef rooms, but they are very pricey. ($300 to $500 per night.)<BR>Just about all of the rooms but the garden view have a very good ocean view.<BR>If you find you are in the tower, request an upper room for a better view. <BR>Since it is off-season, you may get an upgrade, or you can check the website.<BR>Sometimes they have special offers like getting an automatic upgrade or getting their delicious breakfast buffet ($20+ pp) free for two every day, or double miles, etc.<BR>It is a wonderful place, and they go so far to make you feel right at home.<BR>You will love the hotel and its warm staff. <BR>We may be there at the same time - we will not book until fares come down.<BR>Have a great time...

GM Jan 13th, 2003 07:52 PM

We've found that calling Continental and Delta direct instead of just relying on the Net can brings some great bargains - even better than the Net most of the time.<BR><BR>Sometimes their Cool Vacations or Delta Vacations offer even better rates than doing air / land deals separately.<BR><BR>Hope this helps - you'll love Cozumel.

Maddy Jan 14th, 2003 02:02 PM

Nancy, thanks for the very helpful hotel details. The reef rooms sound wonderful but are more than we'd want to spend. I'll definitely at least request an oceanview on a higher floor though. <BR><BR>I'm considering joining IC's Six Continents club - it's a little pricey to join - I think $150 - but you get a free weekend night and upgrades which essentially offsets the cost of membership. <BR> <BR>American had an ad in the paper today touting sale fares to Cancun from the NY area but the prices were still pretty high. GGM I will take your advice and try calling the airlines directly periodically to check prices also. You are right as I know from past experience that sometimes Continental's website is screwy and doesn't pull up all the flights that are available. <BR><BR>I'm so glad to hear all the positive feedback on Cozumel…now the hard part will be waiting to book airfare so it will really feel like we're going and I can start planning restaurants, side trips etc. <BR>