What Your State Department Says

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 12:35 PM
Chas

What Your State Department Says

So Jim and Hannah and Amber all wish you to believe that St Martin is the most dangerous island in the Caribbean. That's unless they are the same person. I'm not saying crimes don't occur, but here's some food for thought.

NOTE: I posted this on another board in response to Jim's constant postings. Of course on that board he claimed the governement of Sint Maarten was deliberately covering up crime. "He tried to get information from them, but got no response." You coming back to that board Jim to respond or do I follow you everywhere.

When your done reading it, go to the State Department board and check all other islands. Get an official informed opinion.

Did some FBI type investigating. Came up with some scary stuff. It's so bad now that even our own State Department is in on this. The following are their latest advisories on Sint Maarten and Saint Marten. Notice that they are dated in September of last year, well after this massive crime wave had started.

=================================================

Netherlands Antilles and Aruba - Consular Information Sheet
September 14, 1999

COUNTRY DESCRIPTION: The Netherlands Antilles and Aruba are autonomous parts of The Kingdom of the Netherlands, and include the islands of Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius (also known as Statia) and Sint Maarten (Dutch side). While Sint Maarten, Saba and St. Eustatius lie in the path of hurricanes, Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba have historically been out of the hurricane belt.

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime continues to rise. Valuables left unattended on beaches and in cars are easy targets for theft. Burglary and break-ins are increasingly common at resorts and beach houses. Armed robbery occasionally occurs.

Car theft, including that of rental vehicles for joyriding and stripping, occurs frequently. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen. In general, jet skis and vehicles should be used with caution. Renters should note the insurance underwriter and the amount of deductible in case of accident or theft.

French West Indies and French Guiana - Consular Information Sheet
September 14, 1999

COUNTRY DESCRIPTION: The French West Indies consists of two French overseas departments, Martinique and Guadeloupe, and their dependencies. These islands are well developed. In the sub-prefects of St. Martin and St. Barthelemy, English is widely spoken and U.S. currency is accepted.

French Guiana, which is also an overseas department of France, is a sparsely populated tropical wilderness located on the northern coast of South America. Tourist facilities are available, especially in the larger cities such as Cayenne and Kourou, but in some instances are not highly developed. Kourou is home to the Guiana Space Center, from which Ariane rockets are launched.

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime occurs throughout the French West Indies. Valuables left on beaches or locked in rental cars are subject to theft. In St. Martin, police personnel have increased, resulting in decreased street crime and fewer assaults.

Pretty scary stuff indeed! Notice how those French have really got our boys buffaloed! Where's J. Edgar when you need him? Save us Jimmy boy! You da man!!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Jim

The State Dept information is a joke and hasn't changed in 3 years. Check it out yourself -- the language is IDENTICAL for almost every Caribbean island.

The NEWS is the best place for information, like the June 19, 2000 AP article that tells of the gang rape of an American tourist. Or the article that details the rape and robbery of a tourist couple on the beach. Or the article that mentions 9 murders in only 6 months. Or the article . . . .

You get my point.

I'm not sure what Chas's agenda is. Perhaps he owns a business or timeshare in St. Martin or has another economic interest. It just doesn't make sense wanting to hide crime from innocent tourists. Does it?

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Chas

I know what you agenda is though Jim, just don't know why. Are you also looking for crime articles on all islands and posting them on each board for that island?

Like on the TravelTalok board, you said you contacted the St Martin government about this without an answer. Still waiting to find out you tried to contact about this. What are you covering up?

As you claimed on other boards, you're a corporate attorney. Since you do all these postings during the day, who are you ripping off by billing for the time?

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 06:11 AM
Jim

Wrong Jim, apparently. Sorry.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 06:15 AM
R. Bailey

Of course there is crime in St. Martin. Of course the government doesn't want to publicize it to upset the tourist business. The question is, is the level of crime involving tourists high enough to warrant a fear mentality? Based on my visits there, I would say no, but it certainly warrants taking care. Individual high profile incidents do not make the whole picture. Now you say you go on vacation so that you don't have to take care the way you do at home. In that case, where can you go? Maybe St. Barth's or Anguilla, but even there a tourist was murdered on a beach a few years ago. Would you go to Florida (anywhere in the state)? You would need the same level of concern. St. Martin is not paradise; neither is it in a class for those with a death wish. Information should not be hidden from prospective visitors; neither should they be panicked by overemphasis on extremes.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Chas

Jim:

You asked a question, so here is your answer. I'm Charlie and I've been to SXM 11 times. Yes, we do own a timeshare but since we're not looking to rent or sell, that leaves out an economic agenda. As for our crime experiences, we once had the spare tire stolen. As for your crime reporting it would have the effect of reducing the crowds on the streets, beaches and resturaunts so in effect that would probably help us. My agenda is to keep the playing field level and reduce the panic.

Your turn now. Who are you and what are your SXM experiences. Also where else do you vacation? I would want to make sure that you are kept up to date on any crime that occurs there.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 12:36 PM
Kate

So Jim, there is more than just Chas that wants to know your agenda.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Jim

Agenda: Educate. Inform. Prevent future atrocities.

Which one of those offends you?

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 01:51 PM
Tom

I have just come back from St. Martin where we go every year or two. I don't think that two violent crimes against tourists in the past four years will deter me.

The reality is that the Caribbean has a problem with petty theft. What do you expect? Their economies are terrible and a bunch of wealthy Americans are wandering around. (That doesn't excuse it.)

The problem is that the islands are not being presented fairly. Someone with alot of time on their hands obviously had a problem there. St. Martin is far from the most dangerous island. I have always felt very safe in French St. Martin after dark.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Chas

Jim's reading lesson (Part 1)

Anguilla/Turks and Caicos (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime does occur. Visitors should not leave valuables unattended in their hotel rooms or on the beach. In the Turks and Caicos, visitors may dial 999 or 911 for emergency police, fire, or medical assistance.

Antigua and Barbuda (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Violent crimes and armed assaults have been perpetrated against tourists. Petty street crime also occurs, and valuables left unattended on beaches are subject to theft.

Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao/Saba/St Eustatius/Sint Maarten (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime continues to rise. Valuables left unattended on beaches and in cars are easy targets for theft. Burglary and break-ins are increasingly common at resorts and beach houses. Armed robbery occasionally occurs.
Car theft, including that of rental vehicles for joyriding and stripping, occurs frequently.

The Bahamas (3/00)

CRIME INFORMATION: Visitors should exercise normal caution and good judgment when visiting The Bahamas. Although violent crime is on the increase, most incidents take place in parts of Nassau or Freeport not usually frequented by tourists (the "over-the-hill" area in Nassau, the Lucaya area in Freeport). Hotel guests should always lock their doors and should never leave valuables unattended, especially on beaches. Visitors should store passport/identity documents, airline tickets, unused credit cards and extra cash in hotel safes, and avoid wearing expensive jewelry, particularly Rolex watches, which have been targeted increasingly by criminals. Visitors should not travel alone on deserted areas of beaches or poorly-lit areas at night.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:24 PM
chas

Jim's reading lesson (Part 2)

Barbados (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Crime in Bridgetown is characterized by petty theft and street crime, but the incidence of violent crime appears to be on the rise. Valuables left in plain sight inside vehicles make tempting targets for criminals. Automobile theft also occurs with some frequency.

Bermuda (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Bermuda has a low crime rate and incidents of violent crime are rare. However, pickpocketing, theft of unattended baggage, theft from rental motor bikes, and theft from hotel rooms, occupied and unoccupied, can occur. Popular tourist attractions such as museums, monuments, restaurants, hotels, and transportation systems, are often areas where criminals operate. Valuables left unattended on beaches or in unlocked hotel rooms are also subject to theft.

British Virgin Islands (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime does occur. Visitors should not leave valuables unattended in their hotel rooms or on the beach. In the Turks and Caicos, visitors may dial 999 or 911 for emergency police, fire, or medical assistance.

Cayman Islands (9/99)

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:28 PM
chas

Jim's reading lesson (Part 3)

French West Indies (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime occurs throughout the French West Indies. Valuables left on beaches or locked in rental cars are subject to theft. In St. Martin, police personnel have increased, resulting in decreased street crime and fewer assaults

Haiti (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Crime, already a problem, is growing. Murders, carjackings, armed robberies and break-ins make safety and security priority concerns. While not specifically targeting U.S. citizens, criminals nonetheless killed or maimed several U.S. citizens in 1999. Travelers should be particularly alert when leaving the Port-au-Prince Airport, as criminals have often targeted arriving passengers for later assaults and robberies. Criminals also surveil bank customers and subsequently attack them; some recent incidents proved fatal. Visitors and residents should exercise extreme caution when driving along Route Nationale No. 1, the airport road, the Port Road, and in or around Cite Soleil, as these are all high crime areas. Neighborhoods in Port-au-Prince, such as the Delmas Road area and Petionville, formerly considered to be relatively safe, have been the scenes of increasing incidents of violent crime. Today there are no "safe areas." Travelers and residents should exercise caution throughout Haiti. Holiday periods, especially Christmas and Carnival, see a significant increase in violent crime.
U.S. citizens should exercise caution: keep valuables well hidden, ensure valuables are not left in parked vehicles, favor private over public transportation, alternate travel routes, and keep doors and windows in homes and vehicles closed and locked. If an armed individual demands the surrender of a vehicle or other valuables, the U.S. Embassy recommends compliance without resistance - criminals have shot drivers who resisted. The Embassy also recommends against traveling at night, particularly outside Port-au-Prince. The limited response and enforcement capabilities of the Haitian National Police and the judiciary frustrate crime victims.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:29 PM
chas

Jim's reading lesson (Part 5)

Jamaica (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: As a general precaution, tourists should pay attention when traveling, particularly when traveling abroad. There is always the possibility for petty theft and criminal activity, including violent crime. Crime is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. In several cases, robberies of Americans have turned violent after the victim resisted handing over valuables. The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to exercise caution when traveling to and from Kingston’s Norman Manley Airport via Mountain View and Windward Road, especially after dark, because of the crime threat in the neighborhoods that they traverse. The U.S. Embassy also advises its staff not to use buses, which are often overcrowded and have proven to be a frequent venue for crime. Visitors should exercise care walking outside after dark and should avoid neighborhoods known for high crime rates.
The Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols, to enhance security in the principal resort areas. Particular care is called for at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Travelers should be more cautious in unfamiliar surroundings than they are at home. In particular, valuables should not be left unattended anywhere, including at the beach.
Relatives of U.S. citizens visiting Jamaica and U.S. citizens who are prisoners in Jamaica have received telephone calls from people alleging that they are Jamaican police officers or other public officials. The callers state that the visitor or prisoner has had trouble and needs financial help. The caller states that money should be sent to the caller who will assist the visitor or prisoner. Money is sent, but fails to reach U.S. citizens in need. U.S. citizens who receive calls such as these should contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy’s Consular Section at 1 (876) 935-6044 for assistance in confirming the validity of the call.

St Kitts/Nevis (3/00)

CRIME INFORMATION: U.S. citizens have occasionally been victims of armed robbery, assault, burglary, and other petty street crime. Valuables left unattended on beaches are subject to theft.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:31 PM
chas

Jim's reading lesson (Part 6)

St Lucia (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime occurs. Valuables left unattended on beaches are subject to theft. Because of overcrowded conditions in prisons, numerous disturbances have occurred affecting the safety of areas in the vicinity of the prisons. Tourists are advised to stay on the main streets, which are patrolled, and not to wander into alleys or away from central Castries. Use caution, especially at night and while walking on the beach alone.

St Vincent (9/99)

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime occurs. From time to time, property has been stolen from yachts anchored in The Grenadines. Valuables left unattended on beaches are subject to theft. Persons interested in nature walks or hikes in the northern area of St. Vincent should contact local tour operators and guides before going into such isolated areas because of limited police presence.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:35 PM
chas

So Jim; they all read the same to you? And what's with the 6 month update interval? I thought you said they were all 3 years old?

So can you answer the question again? what are your experiences with Sint Maarten/Saint Martin? Where do you vacation?

Did you notice I skipped part 4? Just wanted to see if you were really reading them.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:00 PM
jane

Jim,

The Saint Martin Propoganda Machine is awaiting your response to specific questions. You see Jim, I'm sure we could find as many crime articles about other islands (perhaps more) and post them here. However, we do not have a beef with them, so why hurt them and their people. Your are, obviously, playing some sort of game.

Come clean, let us know your grief.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 03:41 PM
Louis

After glancing through this, I must say "Oh my goodness!". Perhaps you all should come and visit Tijuana just across the border from where I live. You can get there in 20 minutes. However, it is safe to visit there if you know what you are doing. It does often take a long time to get back across the border. I think this is true in most parts of the world. However, please don't depend on US State Department advice. On a scale of 1 to 10 they are about a 3 compared to other sources.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 11:19 AM
coleinkc

Just back from our second trip in 4 months felt safe the whole time. Love the island love the people. No agenda, no propaganda just call them as I see them(in person) I am going back with my kids this fall.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 03:23 PM
pamr

To: R. Bailey & Jim:

R. Bailey - thank-you for an intelligent & rational response. Crime, to a varying degree, is rife throughout the entire world. It is a problem in the Caribbean and in most major European cities. I think most travelers are aware of the potential dangers when they leave home. Unfortunately many, for whatever reason, do not take sensible cautions and end up victims. And some who take precautions end up victims as well - wrong place at the wrong time. I consider the west coast of the Republic of Ireland to be about the safest place left on earth, but I would not go walking alone in remote areas at night, or leave my doors unlocked.
Jim - I am sure you and others are posting your warnings with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, it is coming across as Chicken Little running around screaming "The sky is falling! The sky is falling." The crime you site in St. Martin exists just about everywhere and does not constitute a take your life in your own hands potential catastrophe to every person who sets foot on the island! I do find it very curious that you and some of the other doomsayers on this site seem so loathe to come clean on your own travel experiences. You consistently refuse to give any info on your own travels, as well as your real e-mail address. I wonder if you have ever actually traveled at all - if not, I am not quite sure why you haunt this board? We all know by now that crime exists on St. Martin, Jamaica, Bonaire, Tortola, Rome, Paris, Madrid, Bali, Fiji, Dominica, Barbados, Thailand, London, etc. .. It is certainly your right to post your opinion on this board, but your point would be...? Until you can come clean with everyone about your own adventures it is hard to take you very seriously. Yes, we want to be educated & informed so we can pick the safest places to pack ourselves & families off to ( although some people thrive on the danger spots), but your kind of postings are not the answer. Vigilante postings and alarmism accomplish nothing. To make educated, informed decisions, we need well rounded and rational information from people with first hand experience. So, Jim ( and others), whats your story?