Search

What to you guys think

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:13 AM
BeachBaby

What to you guys think

Please, only serious people reply...<BR><BR>I contacted a Virtuous Travel Agent and I wanted rates for staying at Cap Juluca or Beaches Royal Plantation for 5days/4nights in August for my Honeymoon.<BR><BR>Instead of her giving me quotes, she suggested that I stay at Point Grace, Turks &amp; Caicos or Ocean Club, Bahamas. She said for two reasons<BR>1 - Length of stay. She made it seemed like it was not worth it to go the Cap Juluca for only 4 nights.<BR>2 - Hurricane season. She said that since August is in the middle of Hurricane season, she didn't want me to be worried about that on my Honeymoon.<BR><BR>Now, I have been to BRP in July (no rain) and I haven't heard of anyone complaining about hurricanes in Anguilla during the month of August. People told me that it is a good month to go.<BR><BR>I get the feeling like she was trying to steer me away from those places and I don't know why.<BR><BR>She even said that if I am going to extend my stay to 8nights, then I should look into Hawaii.<BR><BR>I have recearced all of these places, and I do know that Hawaii is not a place I wanted to go for my honeymoon.<BR><BR>I would appreciate any advice on this and why this agent seem to be steering me away - or was she just doing her job?<BR><BR>I was sure I wanted to go to Cap Juluca or BRP for my honeymoon (4 nights in August) but now I don't know.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Dave

Well, for only 4 nights, the trip from the airport to BRP is 2 hours each way. Long trip. I've heard BRP is beautiful but IMO I'd be sad to stay for such a short time there.<BR><BR>Do the research and decide where you want to go by yourself. Then find a T/A who will get you the best rates.<BR><BR><BR>Good luck and congrads.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:18 AM
cdt

It makes no sense to steer you toward the Bahamas or T&amp;C to avoid hurricanes.<BR><BR>The areas less prone to hurricanes include Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, and others in the southernmost Caribbean.<BR><BR>It DOES make sense to choose a destination that won't take all day and all night to reach, for just a 4-night trip.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM
xxx

IMO some TA's receive perks from certain hotels. I am not saying this is the case but you seem also to be suspicious. I would check with several to see there viewpoints. I would also do as you wanted. If this TA is making you feel uncomfortable or taking the joy out of planning your honeymoon then find someone else. She may just be trying to be helpful. 4 nights is a short time for Cap Juluca. I have to agree with this idea. Good luck.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Bermuda

Have you considered Bermuda. The Reefs resort is beautiful or Ariel Sands.<BR><BR>It is truly a gorgeous island. Perfect for 4 days.<BR><BR>Best wishes

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Karen

Where are you travelling from?? It does not make any sense to me, as T&amp;C and the Bahamas are not out of the hurricane belt!! I think you should find another TA who listens to your needs, not where SHE wants to send you for whatever reason! Cap Juluca has a &quot;Quick Getaway&quot; package which may interest you (www.capjuluca.com). If you are flying from the East coast, you can be swimming in the beautiful water of Anguilla by 3:45 pm - not bad! There were people from the Midwest and the West Coast on our American Eagle flight from SJU to AXA so it is not a big deal, and we all arrived at Cap the same time. You can also do your research on the American Airlines website AA.com and find a flight that suits you Loose the TA looking for a free trip for herself, it is quite obivous she does not know her A$% from her E&amp;*#@. As these other places are very very nice, theres no place like Cap!<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:25 AM
BeachBaby

Thanks everyone.<BR><BR>I am traveling from the East Coast(NYC) and I told her that AA offered flights through San Juan to AXA arriving at 11:30am. She didn't seem aware of this and just kept telling me to avoid the chance of hurricane and also the length of stay, I should go to Turks or Bahamas.<BR><BR>I have stayed at BRP for 4nights before, and I felt it was plenty of time even with the 3hr drive from the airport, I got to the hotel by 3:30pm.<BR><BR>She was a Virtuous Agent, so I don't think she has anything to gain by offering one resort over the other. That is why I am kind of confused with her suggestions, (Hawaii???)<BR><BR>I did some more research, and the Ocean Club in Bahamas seems as nice as Cap Juluca, but it seems MORE expensive.<BR><BR>I really had my heart set on Cap Juluca but I don't want to miss that beautiful beach because of rain.<BR><BR>Anymore suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Thank.s<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Karen

Hi it's me again. If you have your heart set on Cap, please go, it is not to be missed and very special. We left from JFK 7:10 to SJU then connected Directly to AXA. It was a very pleasant trip, 3 hour flight to San Juan, then a 1 hour flight to Anguilla via American Eagle. The short drive to Cap (20 minutes in the included transfer) and you are there, no biggie. If you want to get there earlier, go to AA.com like I said and plan it yourself. You can also book Cap yourself. There is more of a chance of rain in the Bahamas then there is Anguilla, which is much drier and arid. I have another website for you to check the weather thru the years/months and give you an accurate historical weather reporttormcarib.net ......don't worry Anguilla is always beautiful, when it rains its for 15 minutes and leaves behind a huge rainbow.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:09 AM
BeachBaby

Thanks Karen.<BR><BR>So, let me ask you, is it worth going to Anguilla for only 4 nights in August?<BR><BR>Have you ever been to Ocean Club in Bahamas?<BR><BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:21 AM
JJ

Dude, forget the travel agent! If you went to Valhalla for your honeymoon, but didn't want to, it would suck. Go where ever in the hell you want to. Four nights at Cappy J would be great unless you're traveling from Alaska or Asia. I wouldn't go to Hawaii for anything less than 8-10 days. IMO, travel agents have an agenda of their own they usually push. By the way, what in the devil is a &quot;Virtuous&quot; TA?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
BeachBaby

JJ, I Virtuoso Agent (not Virtuous, sorry) is supposed to be a an agent that specializes in the areas that they offer and they can get you upgrades and perks (pratically guarenteed). <BR>These Virtuoso Agents are recommended for booking hotel&amp;air to places like Cap Juluca because they can get the best prices with perks.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:27 AM
BeachBaby

JJ, A Virtuoso Agent (not Virtuous, sorry) is supposed to be a an agent that specializes in the areas that they offer and they can get you upgrades and perks (pratically guarenteed). <BR>These Virtuoso Agents are recommended for booking hotel&amp;air to places like Cap Juluca because they can get the best prices with perks.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Karen

Hi BeachBaby,<BR>I personally would want more time, I'm just being honest with you. After spending 8 days at Cap I left with tears in my eyes because I did not want it to be over. But we met many people who were there on the &quot;quick getaway&quot; package and loved it, they were from the East Coast also. I have not been to the Ocean Club but was thinking about going in May. I have seen the website thru the Atlantis website Atlantis.com. on the bottom left is the icon for the Ocean Club. It looks beautiful as well! Would you be spending 4 days at the Ocean Club too? Is it the amount of days your worried about or travel time? Do you have 4 days for a Honeymoon? Not trying to pry, but your answers may help with a solution<BR><BR>by the way, do you know this Travel Agent personally/recommendation or not, that makes a big difference when someone knows you!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Dave

BeachBaby, between the 2 fine resorts that you mentioned in your original post, which one is more expensive? Is it a big difference?<BR><BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Kim

I live in the Virgin Islands and the truth of the matter is, I cannot recall a hurricane passing through these parts in the month of August since 1979 when Hurricane David destroyed Dominica which is much further to the south. Anguilla seems to have been very lucky over the years in that some hurricanes have come close to the island but I don't beleive they have ever had a direct hit from a hurricane. The recent trends have shown the more severe hurricanes passing through the Caribbean in September, October and to some extent, November. But September is really the month where it anything can happen. So I would definetly head for Cap J in August if I were you and not worry too much about hurricanes or anything else for that matter. 4 days is good enough. The flights will get you there in plenty of time. And you are likely to get great rates at Cap and great airfares because you will be travelling in August which is outside of the tourist season. What more could you ask for? Look, forget about that TA, do your own research and make up your own mind. Do your thing, man!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Karen

P.S. BeachBaby-<BR>I was also just wondering about a Virtuous TA. I book expensive trips thru a TA, but I tell her what I want, after doing my own research, and since she has been everywhere she lets me know if it's worth it. I just like booking my trips thur an American Express TA in case theres a problem, I have back up. When I had a terrible vacation last year, I got a full refund &amp; a free return trip, thanks to my TA. She is wonderful and I would not book an expensive trip without her. I was wondering what kind of perks do you get thru a Virtuous TA?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:16 PM
traveler

BeachBaby, <BR><BR>I'm not sure if you've decided to only go for 4 days due to money concerns or some sort of time constraint, but if it's money I would recommend going someplace cheaper for a longer period of time. The Caribbean is a fabulous place and I think you'll be very, very sad to leave after only 4 days no matter where you go. Cap Juluca is wonderful but it's ridiculously expensive. Why not try someplace a little cheaper and go for a week? There are lots of great options out there for significantly less $$. You can always try Cap some other time (perhaps in a couple years when you're earning more money?).<BR><BR>As for hurricanes, you'll have to determine for yourself how much risk you want to take on your honeymoon. The risk is lower in August than in September or October, but August is still hurricane season. If it's early August your risk is lower than in late August. If you go during this time period be sure to buy travel insurance. As others have said, I don't know why your TA would suggest the Bahamas or Turks as better alternatives in this regard. They are just as likely to be hit as Anguilla. <BR><BR>Bottom line--if you're worried about hurricanes go somewhere other than the northern Caribbean (or the US East Coast) but no matter what you do, try to go for more than 4 days. If you can't extend your trip then I'd go someplace closer than Anguilla. Bermuda was a great suggestion, although there is a hurricane risk there as well. Your TA probably suggested Hawaii because hurricanes (or tropical cyclones or whatever the heck they call them in the Pacific) are much rarer there than in the Caribbean.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:24 PM
BeachBaby

I chose to stay for 4 nights/5 days for a number of reasons:<BR><BR>1 – Cost. Any more than that would be a little too much. However, I still wanted the kind of honeymoon that I have always dreamed of. The honeymoon is more important to me than the actual wedding ceremony.<BR><BR>2 – I didn’t want to be at the place TOO long. I stayed at BRP four 4nights before, and I felt it was a decent amount of time.<BR><BR>3 – My fiance may not be able to take more than 1 week off.<BR><BR><BR>I choose Cap Juluca or BRP, because even though we were staying for a short period, because I still wanted to stay at the most unforgettable place possible. After doing lots of research, Cap Juluca just seemed perfect, and since I have stayed at BRP, I know what to expect and it is a beautiful property as well.<BR><BR>The price at each resort for 4nights for the room category I want is:<BR><BR>Cap Juluca = $2,900 or $3870 that includes 4 dinners<BR><BR>BRP = $2262.00 all inclusive<BR><BR>Ocean Club = $ 3, 114 (not the category I want but the next category that I would take) and I think we still would have to pay for the meals.<BR><BR>I am okay with the travel time that it takes to get to Anguilla or Jamaica. I don’t know how long it would take to Bahamas but I know it is shorter.<BR>If I went to Anguilla, AA has a flight that arrives at about 11:30am and departs at about 2:00pm. When I went to Jamaica, I was at the resort at about 3:30pm.<BR><BR>Karen, I don’t know the travel agent personally and someone didn’t recommend them. The only thing that was recommended is that I book with a Virtuoso Agent because they can get me upgrades and perks (with more of a guarantee) than a regular travel agent could. <BR>I chose to stay for 4 nights/5 days for a number of reasons:<BR><BR>1 – Cost. Any more than that would be a little too much. However, I still wanted the kind of honeymoon that I have always dreamed of. The honeymoon is more important to me than the actual wedding ceremony.<BR><BR>2 – I didn’t want to be at the place TOO long. I stayed at BRP four 4nights before, and I felt it was a decent amount of time.<BR><BR>3 – My fiance may not be able to take more than 1 week off.<BR><BR><BR>I choose Cap Juluca or BRP, because even though we were staying for a short period, because I still wanted to stay at the most unforgettable place possible. After doing lots of research, Cap Juluca just seemed perfect, and since I have stayed at BRP, I know what to expect and it is a beautiful property as well.<BR><BR>The price at each resort for 4nights for the room category I want is:<BR><BR>Cap Juluca = $2,900 or $3870 that includes 4 dinners<BR><BR>BRP = $2262.00 all inclusive<BR><BR>Ocean Club = $ 3, 114 (not the category I want but the next category that I would take) and I think we still would have to pay for the meals.<BR><BR>I am okay with the travel time that it takes to get to Anguilla or Jamaica. I don’t know how long it would take to Bahamas but I know it is shorter.<BR>If I went to Anguilla, AA has a flight that arrives at about 11:30am and departs at about 2:00pm. When I went to Jamaica, I was at the resort at about 3:30pm.<BR><BR>Karen, I don’t know the travel agent personally and someone didn’t recommend them. The only thing that was recommended is that I book with a Virtuoso Agent because they can get me upgrades and perks (with more of a guarantee) than a regular travel agent could. <BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:46 PM
BeachBaby

Also, I don't know if Ocean Club is <BR>all-inclusive or not.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Karen

BeachBaby,<BR>From what I understand from reading posts here on Fodors, Cap will give you an automatic upgrade if there is an upgrade available, very nice (although it has not happened to me personally, but I think in August you have a good chance). If you do a search on this board you will see many people posting that an upgrade was given to them. From all our trips to the caribbean to many different islands and resorts, Cap Juluca is the first place my husband actually re-reserved for next year. I think for your money you get a lot of quality for your vacation dollar at CJ. If you have 4 days you will absolutely love it and will most likely find no reason to leave the resort! The food at Pimms, Georges and Kemia(my fav) is some of the best on the island. When you see the prices, you will be so happy that the dinners are included, it definately saves money. I also think you get a half day snorkel trip, which is great fun! If you go buy your own disposable Kodak underwater camera at home because it it $27.00 in the CJ gift shop! Cap Juluca is on the most amazing beach and the water is better and cleaner than a swimming pool, the beach service is a dream. Cold towels, cold bottled water and sorbet! Breakfast brought to your room every morning on the terrace with the most amazing view! If you so go to Cap Ask for a villa on the West End as there is a better view of St. Martin and it is away from the hustle and bustle of Georges! Hope this helps, but whatever you decide it will be wonderful. Congratulations and Happy Honeymoon<BR><BR>Here's some websites to help you decide:<BR>travelhop.com<BR>http://news.ai/<BR>http://net.ai/html.main

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -