what to pack for Jamaica

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:40 AM
bill

what to pack for Jamaica

Wondering what I should consider bringing to Jamaica for 7 days.

I am goinjg to a family orientesd all inclusive. Can anybody help me pack for this trip.

I guess I'll be staying in the resort for the majority of the time. Don't see any reason to leave.

Also, is there anybody out there that has stayed at Trelawny Beach since they renovated?

What did you think about the resort?

Thanks

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:52 AM
liza

bug spray, sunblock, any medications.

Casual light clothing unless there is a formal restaurant of some sort you'll want to eat at, or there is a formal night. A pair of pants and long sleeves for evening or if you go horseback riding.

More than one swimsuit (hate putting a wet one on).

water shoes if you plan on doing waterfalls or if the beach is rocky.

Are you bringing kids?

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
tivertonhouse

Haven't been there since renovation (pre-renovation, it was a little too 'Faulty Towers Time' and package tourist both US and UK.)Do consider spending time OUTSIDE the resort since it's very self-contained and will surround you with a-foreign holidaymakers only. Trelawny's in the middle of nowhere, relatively speaking, so a good guide is mandatory for going beyond the obvious Dunn's River/Ochee trips. Get yourself a copy of 'Rough Guide to Jamaica' and discover what's out there, past the security gates. Carolyln Barrett of Barrett Adventures ([email protected]) who also works with guests at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall is one good choice -- send for her sampler of half,full and more day privately-guided excursions and explorations of island.

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:59 AM
x

I just returned from Jamaica and I was way over packed. I lived in my bathing suits. We had a private villa so we didn't need to worry about dressing up for meals though. At a resort you will obviously need to dress for dinner. Some places require a certain dress.

I've been to Trelawny but many years ago so I can't comment on how things have changed. But it was really casual then and shorts were fine.

Thanks

Dec 10th, 2002, 09:23 AM
bUdNip

Lay all your clothes and money out on your bed.Now put half the clothes back in the closent and double the money.You should be fine.

Dec 10th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Angela

I just returned from Jamaica and boy did I OVERPACK...lol...all I ended up using was shorts, some tank tops, a cover up, sandals, a light pair of pants, and bathing suits.....lol...

Dec 10th, 2002, 10:42 AM
y

Angela get a life.....Do you have an original thought or do you always repeat what the previous posters have said?

Dec 10th, 2002, 10:47 AM
xxx

Relax there y. She is probably is laughing at herself for packing so much. I know I did! I also packed way too much for my trip there!

Dec 10th, 2002, 10:58 AM
mmm

y = waste of bandwidth

Dec 10th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Dave

Darn. From reading these posts, I guess if you were going to Hedo, you wouldn't have to pack at all. There's a thought.

Dec 10th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Angela

Yeah, as I matter of fact I am repeating, because it makes it alot more difficult to lug things that aren't needed..

Dec 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Jan

Don't know about the resort you mentioned but will advise by way of clothing, anything light and cotton. Shorts, t-shirts, swimming gear and you might want to walk with a couple pairs of long pants and nice short sleeve shirts in case you decide to go somewhere nice for dinner whether at the resort or otherwise. And by all means, do leave the resort and explore the island - I cannot figure out why you would want to stay at the resort the whole time - how boring can one be? There is so much to see and do in Jamaica that it would be a shame to go all that way and come back having seen only the airport and your resort. Jamaica is not that bad. Use your common sense and everything will be fine.

Dec 10th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Josh

Don't bother bringin a pipe or papers, you can get them there. Do, however, consider bringing a couple screens. They don't use them there... It kind of sucks swallowing burning ash.

Also - a swiss army knife - best single item to bring on any outing...

Also, bring lots of American 1,5 and 10 dollar bills. Don't bother changing you money to Jamaican dollars - they prefer US...