Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   What to do with luggage on the last day before airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/what-to-do-with-luggage-on-the-last-day-before-airport-827212/)

Poolmom Feb 18th, 2010 03:58 PM

What to do with luggage on the last day before airport?

We are going to be coming from St. John on Sunday morning after checkout and was wondering what we could do with our luggage until time to be at the airport.Leaving at 4:00.Thanks for any info.

doug_stallings Feb 19th, 2010 04:37 AM

I'd just leave a little later from St. John. If you leave your hotel or condo at 11, then by the time you get back over to St. Thomas and the airport, it's going to be 12:30 or so. You could always check in for your flight and then leave the airport if you want to do something else. But I'm not aware of any places to check your luggage otherwise, though if you want to just stop for lunch somewhere, I don't think any restaurant would object to your having luggage with you as long as it's not too gigantic.

caymama Feb 19th, 2010 07:29 PM

Had the same trouble-luggage and a later flight. Our family of 4 took shifts sitting in the park across from the ferry in charlotte amalie with the luggage, while the other 2 shopped! Too bad there are no lockers or safe place to leave them before you have to go to the airport!!

wiley1827 Mar 7th, 2010 06:46 AM

It's hard to accept this but with required early check in and the horrid traffic of St. Thomas (especially when cruise ships are in) you are wise to leave St. John 3-4 hours before flight time. Unless you get tossed out of hotel/villa at sunrise, you should be able to work it out for a casual morning before you hit the ferry to St. Thomas - and then a day of misery, regret, anguish, noise, anxiety, and abuse.
You can also ferry to Charlotte Amolie (downtown St. Thomas) sometimes - saves drive time to airport - little more $. Red Hook Ferry terminal is something from a bad LSD trip.

virginislandtraveler Mar 29th, 2010 03:55 PM

I used to practice law on St Thomas in 2007/2008...Its a little risky,but most taxi drivers are very reliable and you should be able to find one one that is highly recommended.. you can make arrangements to have him pick you up at the ferry dock, hold your luggage and schedule to meet you later with your luggage at an agreed point and time to take you to the airport..Also for more tips on Virgin Islands travel check out my website:
http://www.travelaskthelocals.yolasite.com

brenandg Mar 29th, 2010 06:10 PM

I recommend leaving three hours before your flight time which would be 1pm. That should only leave you a couple of hours to spare. You could sit at the park at JJ's and have some lunch in Cruz Bay, return your rental, shop at St John Spice for some last minute goodies and it will be time to go.

We have also left our luggage with a St Thomas taxi driver for a couple of hours to have lunch with friends. They held it, no problem.

Why does the other poster say that "the Red Hook Ferry Terminal is like something from a bad LSD trip"?? It is only a couple of years old. It provides shelter from rain, has clean bathrooms and a couple small areas to buy a drink with tables if you have to wait a bit for the ferry. Quite painless! Maybe poster was there before the new termional.

virginislandtraveler Mar 30th, 2010 08:12 AM

I agree with brenandg..the new Red hook ferry dock is very nice..big improvement over the old one..But there is a long taxi ride from Red Hook to town and the airport..On a return trip..take the ferry to downtown Charlotte Amalie..

LisaE Nov 16th, 2010 02:50 PM

We have to vacate our villa on St. John at 10:00 and our flight is not til 5:00. We were thinking of getting a day room on St. Thomas. Anyone ever done this or have any ideas?