Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   What to do in Barbados? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/what-to-do-in-barbados-496931/)

winstoncat Jan 20th, 2005 09:07 AM

What to do in Barbados?

I am going to Barbados and was wondering what is a must to do there. I heard there are underground caverns and a jeep safari ride. Are these worth it? Not really sure what there is on the island beside the St Lawrence Gap.
Also do you tip at meals and on cab rides?
thanks

Lizzie518 Jan 20th, 2005 10:25 AM

We enjoyed the Wildlife Reserve....if you like animals it's great. They feed the animals around 2pm and they all gather. The monkeys come in around 4pm when all the other animals are done. It's pretty neat. Unfortunately, our timimg was off on the monkeys - we missed them.

Harrison's Cave is also decent, but is similar to some caverns that are in the States. If you haven't seen anything like it, it's worth a trip.

We also enjoyed the Orchid Farm. We did not do the jeep safari, but we did an island tour that went along the East Coast of the island (Bathsheba), went to the oldest church on the island, and went for a local lunch. This tour included the Wildlife Refuge, Harrison's Cave and the Orchid Farm.

xkenx Jan 20th, 2005 10:49 AM

Add Flower Forest and Andromeda Gardens for some of the most spectacular tropical garden/forest you will see anywhere. There are also wery interesting beautifully-maintained plantation houses from the sugar era.Francia Plantation and Sunbury House. St. Lawrence Gap is congested with shops, restaurants, evening entertainment, not sightseeing.

beanie0300 Jan 20th, 2005 12:14 PM

The turtle snorkel was worthwhile but do NOT go with Tiami if they're using the smaller Spirit boat. If I had it to do over I'd go with small cats they only take 12 people. It's not fun competing with 30 snorkelers for 3 turtles.

Safari Tour is VERY bumpy. IN fact bumpy is a vast understatement. If you have a bad back or are prone to nausea don't do it. It was like a roller coaster ride. Definitely don't do it if it has recently rained or you'll take a mud bath.

Harrison's Cave is a good choice when it's raining. Bridgetown is how shall I put this, ugly.

Gap is boring. Basically a U shaped road with restaurants some by the water. I'd go here only at night when you have dinner reservations.

Though we were lied to by a waitress, if there is a 10% service charge on your bill, that IS the tip so you are NOT obligated to tip. You of course may add to it if you liked the service but it's definitely a tip.

winstoncat Jan 20th, 2005 12:26 PM

Thank you so much for your input. If you have anything else to add it would be helpful. I am staying, according to everyone, out of the way! I am at the Silver Rock resort on the SIlver Sands beach adn I hear it is rough water. But hopefully I will still have a good time

xkenx Jan 20th, 2005 12:34 PM

Check out Casuarina Beach Resort. Closer in but in a quiet private setting. IMO the best place on the south coast, reasonably priced.

archer1 Jan 20th, 2005 05:00 PM

Dear winstoncat:

We had a great time in Barbados and I would gladly go again. We went with another couple and rented Suzuki Samarais for the week. We stayed at The Crane on what I believe is considered the east side of the island.

If you can go when fish fry is happening you will not be disappointed.
Fish Fry is when all the sugar crop had
been harvested and there is a huge cook
out that goes on all night. The place was hopping at 1am and everyone is cooking up their own recipes of fish and
other dishes. The cost was about $4 for
a plate of fish, pasta and rice.

Having the jeeps gives you lots of freedom to go where you want..rum factories, beaches...etc. One thing
I strongly recommend is the gun club on
the island. At the club is great food,
nice bar with big flatscreen tv showing
espn, two inground pools, not to mention
the shooting. They provide you with
very nice quality shotguns, great instruction and they stay right by your
side if you wish when they teach you how
to shoot skeet or trap. It was great
fun and our friends first time shooting
skeet. We also did the snorkeling with
turtles, you will have share the ocean
with about 20 other people from other
tours. We were lucky, we went on a
large catamarran that held 56, but a
party of 18 cancelled at the last minute
so there was lots of room. Anyway have
fun and if you have other ?? you can
e-mail me at: [email protected]

Anice Jan 21st, 2005 09:05 AM

Winstoncat,

Went to Barbados two years ago and had a wonderful time.

We took a guided tour around the island through Glory Tours. It sounds like Lizzie may have taken that, too, since we both saw the same things (Wildlife Reserve, St. Phillip's Church, etc).

Harrison's Cave is fun and the Orchid Plantation is beautiful. Our tour guide was great...knowledgable, funny, etc. We saw all the island, except Bridgetown.

Hubby and I went into Bridgetown later, by ourselves for some duty free shopping. Took the bus from Holetown into Bridgetown (I believe it is $.50 one way).

We also took a taxi (I hirely recommend)to the Mount Gay Rum Factory. The tour is highly entertaining and the rum is a great price.

Whether it a jeef safari, a guided tour, or just a few local restaurants we sure to experience something. Barbados is gorgeous (especially the East Coast) and the people are wonderful.

Enjoy your stay and let us know how your trip went.

Best wishes,

Anice

Lois Jan 21st, 2005 09:57 AM

Hi again,

Actually, Island Safari is a great way to get to some out-of-the-way places in Barbados that you cannot reach by car. Although the ride may be bumpy -- that's part of the fun - sliding around the paths (if it's muddy), and bouncing all over. You can see some great scenery using them. If it's a rainy day, I would not suggest going out.

If you want a smooth ride - stick to the roads in your jeep.

Lois

Lizzie518 Jan 21st, 2005 10:17 AM

Yes, Anice.....we also took Glory Tours and our tour guide was charming and witty. I enjoyed the tour very much.

We also did a snorkeling trip on the Tiami, which we enjoyed. The fish aren't as fabulous as other places (Cayman); however, it was wonderful to see the turtles. There were only two or three.....but we didn't find the crowds to be overly invasive at all.

starfish1 Jan 21st, 2005 04:52 PM

Hi winstoncat, we have been to Barbados twice and stayed just down the beach from Silver Rocks at Peach and Quiet. While both resorts are a little out of the way, I love that part of the island. Yes the water can be rough but great boogie boarding and if you are brave, try kite boarding which is what this part of the island is known for. Great entertainment - I'm sure you will have a fun time. Also, be sure to take a taxi into Oistens, which isn't too far, for the fish fry. Wonderful! Have fun!

Traveler863 Jan 21st, 2005 05:48 PM

Barbados actually has quite a bit to offer topside, in addition to their lovely beaches. The only thing with Barbados is to do it right, don't get caught in the tourist mainstream. Generally rent a villa or apartment and rent a jeep...do some research, connect with the locals when you are there and have a great time! Excursions would be Harrison's Cave, the wildlife preserve and Flowers Cave...the latter two are on the north end and can be easily combined. You'll have more fun if you get out and explore on your own, the Barbadians are warm and friendly but do be cautious crime is a problem there. If you stop to ask for directions most will point you there if not take you there, if you are starting to get a runaround or speech on something drive off. Beach Vendors are annoying so pick a secluded place to stay. The services on Barbados are excellent just be wary of bad seeds but for the most part they are there to help.