Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   What surprised you on St. John once you got there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/what-surprised-you-on-st-john-once-you-got-there-192552/)

Jenny Apr 5th, 2002 09:39 AM

What surprised you on St. John once you got there?

We're going to St. John in a couple of weeks and are very excited about it. Done some research, but I'm sure once we get there, we'll surprised in one way or another. Would anyone like to share their (good or bad) experiences ?

Susan Apr 5th, 2002 10:36 AM

Hi Jenny! We went to St. John three years ago and had a blast. We stayed at the Westin but spent most of our time investigating the island and looking for the perfect beach. One of the most wonderful things we came across by accident was a restaurant called "The Lime Inn" in downtown Cruz Bay. Delicious steaks and wonderful service. We ended up eating there three nights! Don't be surprised if some of the beaches are not as large as you may think. Enjoy the ferry ride over. You will have a wonderful time!

ctt Apr 5th, 2002 12:16 PM

We were surprised at how big such a small island could seem, due to terrain, vegetation, slow and winding roads, multitude of bays and beaches.<BR>Truly a paradise.<BR>

LeighAnn Apr 5th, 2002 12:37 PM

My husband and I were surprised when we rented a car and an employee from the car rental agency picked us up at the Westin and proceded to take us to a very remote area. Yes, we were kind of nervous, but then he said he simply wanted to show us what he considered to be the most beautiful view of the whole island-if we had time and were interested. When we stepped out of the jeep, we realized we were very high up on the side of the mountain---it really was beautiful. I still have the photos of that georgous view. This young man was so nice to us as was everyone who we encountered on the island.

Jenny Apr 5th, 2002 10:43 PM

Thanks. So far positive experiences. <BR>

peterb Apr 6th, 2002 09:41 PM

I was suprised at how small Cruz Bay was and how easily I adapted to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Jim Apr 7th, 2002 08:55 AM

Just got back from St. Thomas and St. John. We liked seeing the Annaberg plantation (a $7 cab ride from Cruz Bay). You can walk from the plantation site to a beach near Waterlemon Cay - - it supposed to be one of the best places to snorkle. No cruise ship crowds come this far up the road. But you will need to bring your snorkle gear, lunch and water. Have fun!

Kat Apr 7th, 2002 10:13 AM

I have to agree with Jim. Our afternoon hiking and snorkeling at Waterlemon Cay and then visiting Annaberg was one of the best of our trip!<BR><BR>Kat

Tina Apr 8th, 2002 10:05 AM

We were in St.John, two years ago the week of Thanksgiving and had a great time. We stayed at the Gallows Pointe, on Cruz Bay. I would agree that The Lime Tree resataurant is great. Definitely, rent a car and drive around the island, stopping at the the different beaches. We also went on an all day boat trip out to Tortola, Virgin Gorda, etc.

Tina Apr 8th, 2002 10:05 AM

We were in St.John, two years ago the week of Thanksgiving and had a great time. We stayed at the Gallows Pointe, on Cruz Bay. I would agree that The Lime Tree resataurant is great. Definitely, rent a car and drive around the island, stopping at the the different beaches. We also went on an all day boat trip out to Tortola, Virgin Gorda, etc.

Sue Apr 9th, 2002 07:45 AM

I was suprised by how tiring snorkeling really is. We went to sleep almost every night after dinner! Also, there was some kind of festival going on...I forgot the name, but all the high school steel drum bands were playing. It was one of the best nights we had.

to_the Apr 11th, 2002 09:47 AM

ttttt