Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What's the straight scoop on Anse Chastenet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading either positive reviews about Anse Chastenet that reaffirm my choice to visit there, or negative reviews that make me want to reconsider the whole trip!

My soon-to-be wife and I are honeymooning at Anse in mid-August (maybe not the most ideal time, I know, but we got a very good package) and we'll stay there for about 7 days. We both like the outdoors, and are in relatively good shape, so lots of stairs and a few bugs are not a problem.

I'm just curious to hear about other people's experiences. How's the Anse staff? The food? The beach? What about the rooms? Are they run-down or rather-nice? Is travel easy into town or to another resort (Jalousie, Ladera.) Also, what activities would you recommend ... biking, day trips, spa visits, rainforest hikes, that sort-of thing. Thoughts?
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:22 PM

While AC is not for everyone. my husabnd and I really enjoyed it and would go back. We spent 12 days there a few years ago, and found it to be very exotic and romantic.
(The three hurricanes - yes THREE - that came through while we were there sure added to the "excitement.&quot
Since you are going in off-season, it is worth it to upgrade (if you have not already done so) to the deluxe rooms which are further up on the hill as opposed to the standard octagon (hot and no view) or beach (no view) rooms.
The higher up the hill you get, the better the rooms and the views.
We thought the food was very good and the staff was great. (With the exception of some normal Caribbean-style histrionics on the part of the kitchen staff one night.)
You definitely better be in good shape if you get one of the rooms up on the hill. There are steps, steps, and more steps, and then a long walk up the hill.
Take everything you need from the room when you leave to go down to the beach. You DO NOT want to make that trek more than once a day
We thought the food was VERY good, and the snorkeling and diving were very nice also.
Travel to town and other resorts is not easy unless they have done something with the God-awful road they've always had - nearly impassible.
You can get the water taxi though.

The rooms are kinda rustic, but we liked the wood furnishings in the room and on the verandah. We enjoyed the open shower. One of the rooms has a tree in the shower I think.
We did have some bugs, but they do give you mosquito netting for the bed. I'd take some Off! for sure. The Skin SO Soft I took with me, the mosquitos just licked off and bit me anyway!
Definitely do an island tour that includes the Pitons, and for sure go to the jump up at Gros Islet on Friday night.
Congratulations!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Wow, where should I start? I, recently read a not so positive report about Anse Chastanet also. This did make me think of what people are expecting at Anse?

I would like to give my limited scoop on Anse Chastanet. We stayed at Ladera and the Jalousie Hilton and one night at the Sandals Halcyon. We absolutely loved both Ladera and the Jalousie Hilton and highly recommend them both, but I also have a passion to stay at Anse Chastanet also on our next visit to St.Lucia. These are three incredible resorts!!! Each offering something uniquely different to guests.

We visited Anse Chastanet for the day, snorkeled, had lunch and checked out a couple rooms.

I think YOU must really know what you are looking for in your honeymoon. I think some have different ideas, on what one is to expect from a resort such as Anse Chastanet that gets such rave reviews! Some confuse 4/5 star luxury even in the Caribbean to mean they need marble baths, Greek goddess statues and man made waterfalls and pools to keep them happy. They even need to signify luxury, their room decorated with mahogany LOOK furniture imported from the US? And then there is the gourmet food that is a must, prime rib and pasta just like home? None of that is bad if that is what one is looking for. But if that is what you are looking for Anse Chastanet would not be a good choice. There are many traditional resorts though out the Caribbean that have white sand beaches, luxurious rooms and gourmet food. But...................

If you are looking for the out of the ordinary in Exotic, lush, lush, secluded, unique, one of a kind, sexy, romantics dream. Truly a Caribbean experience. Anse Chastanet will not disappoint.

Yes, the stairs will probably be grueling, they are even a bit rickety and moss covered, but it is all part of the ambiance of this place. It may be a bit hot at times, so take in the heat or take a cool shower and sip a cool drink and be serenaded by the natural music of the island in the privacy of your room, looking out at the incredibly lush surroundings.

The beach is the natural dark volcanic sand of the area, it is a silver/grey/black/white sand that is very hot. Lots of palm trees, umbrella huts and hammocks on the beach. It is different, from a traditional white sand beach, but it is exotic. There is a secluded beach to walk to just north of Anse, where the bike trails are at an old plantation. The Scuba diving is wonderful!

We had considered Anse Chastanet to begin with for are first trip, but I did think that there rooms looked a bit art deco style for me. They are a bit stark but they are neat in there own way. This style did hold true to the rooms that we checked out, but It surely wouldn't keep me from staying there in the future. At least some thought and style went into there creation. The stairs were also a concern, but I think I would also be willing to brave these. And we did like the idea of the Plunge pools at Ladera and Jalousie, and they where wonderful, but there is just something that still intrigues me about Anse Chastanet.

You can water taxi to the Jalousie Hilton beach (5 min. away) and also you can use their shuttles to get around the property. Make sure you check out this beach, it is incredible at the base of the Petit Piton. White imported sand, really shows off how beautiful the water is. There is also a thermal mineral bath outside the entrance of the Jalousie, you can shuttle to the entrance and hike down to it. It is a bit ticky tacky, but the quality of the mineral waters in St. Lucia are world class.

Sun down diner at Ladera's, Dasheene is also a must do, the setting is breathtaking as are their rooms with plunge pools.

Relax and have a great time.
Donna
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. One more question: we're arriving late at night in St. Lucia and, more than likely, will have a driver take us to Anse. Should I be worried about riding on this "God-awful" road? Especially when it's pitch black outside?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:16 AM

Whoo boy.
If you are prone to get car sick, take something for sure.
The road from the airport is not bad surface-wise, but it's extremely twisty and mountainous.
It's the road off the main road to the resort that's very bumpy and rocky.
My husband was miserable on the ride to and from AC, but I didn't have any problems.
Also, if you're prone to queasiness, sitting up front and talking to the driver seems to help my husband cope better.
We usually also come away from the ride with a lot of good information and a new friend.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM

icculus,

Believe it or not, I have heard many times that the ride in the dark at night, is much easier on the stomach? Not so many visuals to deal with at night. It is a beautiful ride though in the day.

Donna

Donna
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Ok, one more question: how much should I expect to pay per day for food? What are the options around Anse? I heard Dasheene at Ladera was great but I don't want to (and probably can't afford) to eat 4-star meals every evening. Much less for breakfast or lunch.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:37 AM

There are some restaurants in Soufriere (e.g. the Hummingbird, the Courthouse). The other restaurants Dasheene, Bang Between The Pitons and others in the Soufriere area will involve taxi rides. There are also some restaurants at Stonefield Estates and Mago Estate but I don't think these are cheap.

That's the main drawback of the south. It's beautiful but getting around is harder.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Cool. So what kind of price range are we talking then? Could I get away with spending less than $100 per day for two people to eat? Or am I dreaming?
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:30 AM

icculus,

A great idea that many people do is, have driver, stop at the grocery on the way from air port. Pick up any pop, beer(Piton is great)fruit, snacks, that you may think you would like in your room(room frig.). Many even pick up bagels, cereal, milk etc. for their own breakfast on the verandah. Check out some of the recent posts on Caribbean-on-line for St.Lucia. Under the Jalousie posts, lots of good ideas. Check out Daves report, he even made rum punch to enjoy in the evenings!

Our tab at the Jalousie Hilton ran about $160/$200 for food and drink a day for two people. We are not real big drinkers either. I would assume that Anse Chastanets prices are similar.

For example:

Buffet breakfast was $14 or $17 p/p

Lunch entrees ran anywhere from $8.00 to $20.00 p/p

Dinners: Most complete dinners for two running us between $80 to $100.

Don't for get that in St.Lucia a 18% tax and service charge is added.

There are quite a few great restuarants off property some more reasonable as the Hummingbird, Courthouse, Mago Estates and Mango at Stonefield and of course Dasheene at Ladera($100/up for two). But you do have to figure the taxi cost in also which will run $15/$20.

I think Anse might offer an excursion to the Wednesday night party at Bang(near the Jalousie) We saw the activities director from Anse there with a group. The price of the Bang party was about $38p/p with unlimited rum punch.

Donna
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:51 AM

icculus: I agree with Donna. If you plan to order any drinks from hotel furing the day, and intend to pay for two meals a day, you'd better plan on closer to $100pp rather than $100 for a couple per day.

We stayed at the Jalousie three years ago and loved it, but to save money on food we did just as above poster suggested: we stopped at grocery store in Soufriere to pick up snacks, rum, fruit & fruit juice, gin, and tonic. I ordered drinks on the beach during the day (about $7.50 for an umbrella type drink) and had evening cocktails in our villa by the plunge pool. On the last few days of our stay, we decided to skip the luncheon meal and just ate a late breakfast and went to dinner as early as possible. Other days we split a luncheon entree, as we generally did not want a full meal in the heat of the day.

We got the most bang for our buck, so to speak, at the Bang--we enjoyed the show immensely and fell in love with the rum punch and roasted (not toasted) coconut that tasted just like popcorn!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:07 AM

We stayed twice. It is a little rustic and the climb to your room could kill you.

Food was only ok. Breakfast and lunch were good( very very fresh fish ) I would watch fisherman pull up on beach in the morning. Dinner Ahh.

Beach was very nice and with a PADI shop right there. Water is a marine underwater park!!!

So, If you want different then give it some thought. I would also suggest rooms higher up mountian.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. My fiance and I are looking foward to our honeymoon! I also appreciate the tip about hitting up the grocery store ... is it pretty easy to find?

This just popped into my head, too: should I be worried about any potential tropical storms (or hurricanes) washing out the trip? I've been checking out stormcarib.com, but obviously it can't predict something a month from now ....
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:50 PM

While chances are extremely slim that this will happen to you, we had three (yes, THREE) named storms come through St. Lucia (Luis was really bad and took out half the dive shop) while we were at AC over Labor Day holiday a few years ago.
You should be OK, (especially if your trip is in early Aug.) but you might want to check into trip insurance that covers storm issues.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 08:15 PM

It's been a while since I've been to Anse Chastenet, but I went there for my honeymoon 8 years ago and LOVED it. I had a room up on the hill; the view was gorgeous, although the hike was bad and definitely make sure to use the mosquito netting! The food is excellent and since the roads are so horrible, I would definitely suggest eating a majority of your meals there. The snorkeling was wonderful as well. I also spent a day in Castries, took a tour of the "drive-thru" volcano, and took a tour of the rain forest as well. Have fun
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:04 PM

I am considering this resort and would be interested to know if the snorkeling off the beach is good. Also, do the rooms have air conditioning or do you jst have to use mosquito nets at night? What about the food? Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 02:50 AM

I have not been there in a few years BUT the water AT the beach was a marine park with a diveshop and you can do resort course and dive 32 feet which wonderful..Make sure you get a room higher up the hill...
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:33 AM

If you plan on having a good deal of alcoholic drinks, you might consider picking up a bottle or two at the airport duty-free. We always do that and it does save money because all we have to add is some kind of mixer and ice while we are in our room. It's a great, inexpensive way to enjoy cocktails while watching the sunset, before you head out to dinner.