What's not to miss in the bahamas?

Sep 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

What's not to miss in the bahamas?

Hi,
I'm looking for not-to-miss attractions in the Bahamas. I'll arrive in Nassau at 1pm on Saturday Nov 12 for a conference that starts at 7pm on Tuesday November 15th. I expect it will take until at least 3pm to check into the hotel (Radisson Cable beach), so I'll have the rest of the 12th, all of the 13th and 14th, and until about 6pm on the 15th. I'll also have a few hours free each afternoon of the conference to check out activities at the resort.

These are our ideas so far:
-snorkeling expedition (can anyone reccommend a good company/area?)
-sailing expedition (to the outer islands?)(which other islands are the most memorable? I heard one has pink sand ...)
-spend a day in Nassau (museums, old buildings, flea market) (please tell me what your favourites were!)

I would really like to get a feel for Bahamian culture and appreciate the natural beauty of the islands. Any other ideas?

Also, we will be three women (two 28 year old Canadians and one 40ish Chinese woman) traveling together. Will we feel safe at night/during the day?

Thanks!

Sep 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM

You will have a great time I am sure while you are there.

Not to miss things on my recommended list would be:

Ardastra Zoo and Gardens
Queens Garden
Straw Market
Govenours General's Home
Government Buildings and Square downtown
Stewart's Dive (snorkle trip)
BoHengy Fast Ferry to Harbour Island for a lovely day off island trip.
There are a couple of small museums downtown worth a visit
The Atlantis on Paradise Island

I'm sure others will chime in with a few additional ideas.

Have a great time.
Sep 9th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I recommend the Powerboat trip to the Exumas. It's pricey, but really memorable if you like wildlife. You get to see large iguanas up close, snorkel and have a picnic lunch on a desserted island.

I also second the suggestion of a day trip to Harbour Island. It has a cute town on one side and a beautiful pink beach on the other.
Sep 10th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Rainforest,

wantsomesun and jerirl about hit the nail on the head. It is Stuart's Cove for the snorkeling adventure.

We are generally fishing on the weekends just outside of Stuart's Cove departure point. Look for a 14 ft Boston Whaler / 15 hp Johnson / interracial couple and give us a wave.

Thet generally take the snorkelers off a nice reef in front of our house.
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Atlantis is a must .......the most beautiful resort I have ever seen.
Sep 13th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Stuart Cove's mini subs were wonderful!

http://www.sub-bahamas.com/

I'm a certified diver, but my friend wasn't, so we took these and they were a blast. You can wear your glasses underwater, and you don't even have to get your hair wet (if you don't want to). You're only about 15 feet deep in an area with lots of fish and coral. Half the group on the boat uses the subs while the other half snorkels, then you switch places. So you get the best of both.

Sep 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions so far. I'm having such a great time planning this I can't wait for it to arrive!

Search this Thread