Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What really is the best island in the Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have enjoyed our last 3 vacations to Mexico; however, we'd like to expand to other areas. We really have enjoyed the all-inclusives, diving, snorkeling and we major beach bums. White, sandy, uncrowded, clean beaches. We're in our early 50's so prefer an adult environment, nightly entertainment on the resort and most importantly the closest we stay to the beach the better! Day trips we keep to a minimum because we love the water and we only have a week at a time. So, given all of this: What is the best island coupled with the best resort you all can help me out with? Thanks, Kathy
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:32 PM

You are going to get an array of answers on your question. There really is no "best Caribbean island." It's all a matter of what your priorities are and matter of opinion.

The best I can do is share with you my personal experience. We stayed at Sandals Antigua last year and it is what you described. It is all-inclusive and on a large beach so you never feel crowded. The nightly entertainment was usually a local steel drum band, which we always enjoyed. They also served dinner on the beach one evening and had fire eaters. Once the entertainment is done (around 11:00) the disco and piano bar opens.

We enjoyed all the watersports: snorkeling, water skiing, sailing, kayaks, water trykes, wind surfing, etc. There are 5 restaurants and while the food was good, it was not spectacular (don't expect the best meals you've ever had at an AI). Drinks were also plentiful and service was good. We had a beachfront room which was comfortable and kept very clena. There is also a spa if that is of interest to you.

Again, it is all in what your priorities are and what you are looking to spend. Good luck in choosing and enjoy your vacation!
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:06 PM

I think the best all inclusive (which I deem to be a derogatory term, so I use the term loosely in this case) is Jumby Bay in Antigua. It's on its own island. Beach is nearly empty due to high ratio of acreage to guests on the island, food is not Las Vegas buffet type institutional MRE's but is worthy of a nice individual service restaurant in the US, and accommodation are very luxurious.
Of course all this comes at a steep price.
But you asked for the BEST.

(I suppose technically someplace like Necker Island tops the list, since you have your own chef and resort and island to yourself, but at ~$30,000 per week...well... you get the idea).
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:08 PM

If there really was one "best island in the Caribbean", we'd all be in deep do do......I mean......where would we all fit. Besides that, my quest to visit all these islands to find my favorite would be a waste of time!
Old May 15th, 2003, 02:56 AM

This question has been exhausted time and time again on the forum. Just do a search and see for yourself. At the end of the day, it is largely a matter of personal preference and what you are looking for. For some St John is it, others are indifferent, some people adore Anguilla, others think it is scrubby and boring...you get the picture. What you might have to do,is explore several of the islands yourself over time and come up with your own personal favourite.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Unlike some posters who simply write in with "what's the best Caribbean island", at least Kat offered some specifics. I think some people glossed over that fact.
Specifically wants: white beaches, low crowd factor, low kid factor, available entertainment, likes AI's, doesn't need outside activities or day trips.
This virtually eliminates places like Paradise Island, St. Thomas, Jamaica, Bermuda, Nevis, etc.
I think the places which best fit are Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, Eleuthera, St. John, BVI's, St. Bart's. Lack of entertainment is an issue at some of these.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:08 AM
JMM

Always I hard question to answer - so I will just give my opinion. Provo in the T&C is the island we keep returning to and we have been to a lot of other islands but it is not for everyone.
I would NOT stay at an AI in Provo - Beaches is overrun with kids (as it should be - it is a family resort). The Allegro is adequate but you will get less for more than you paid in Mexico - same applies to Club Med. I would recommend staying at one of the non AI places in Provo - The Sands, Coral Gardens. Do a search on Provo and you will find several recommended resorts. The beach is excellent -the best I have yet to encounter in the caribbean. Except for directly in front of the AIs - it is very uncrowded.
Snorkeling is very good right off the beach at Coral Gardens. However nightlife is pretty limited. A number of good (but expensive) restaurants are available.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:53 AM

For an AI, mostly adult, beach, diving, no-day-trip experience, I would recommend that you try the Jalousie Hilton on St. Lucia. They offer an AI option and a diving package, and their meals alternate between buffet style and a la carte. It's a secluded and beautiful location, so offsite excursions are often pricey and time consuming anyway.

The rooms are individual cottages with private plunge pools. There is spa, tennis, and diving shop on site. (But I think spa treatments are not included in the AI plan that is offered.) The property is huge (over 300 acres), so it can't possibly feel crowded, and during the school year, excluding school holidays, there are very few children.

The resort fronts a white sand beach (admittedly, it's imported sand) and stretches up a mountainside, so there are really grand views from the top of the property. They offer a shuttle service that runs between beach, rooms, restaurants, etc.

Diving is great all around St. Lucia, even just off shore from the hotel, so you don't spend all day getting to your dive sites. (I don't dive, I've just read this.)

I know they have entertainment a few nights a week, but I don't know about nightly entertainment. Perhaps in high season they do.

(If it weren't for the fact that you specifically want diving, there are tons of other fantastic resorts on fabulous islands that we could recommend. The good diving clearly limits your island choices.)
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:34 PM

I would suggest Anguilla for the beaches but no one recommends AI there because the restaurants are so good.
Swept Away Negril also meets your criteria - I've been there twice and the beach is hard to beat - huge so it is never crowded and it is kept very clean and the water is beautiful.