Search

what island to chose?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what island to chose?

i am planning a trip to the caribbean in early april. would like some opinions on which to chose. i enjoy diving, some low-key nightlife (not as crazy as cancun) and a quaint village atmosphere to enjoy various restaurants and shops. of course the beach is a must during the day. i was looking into the virgin islands???
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:12 AM

hi rookie, some of the best islands for diving include the caymans, turks&caicos, bonaire, us and bvi and belize(not an island). caymans, t&c, bonaire are flat coral islands. the virgins and belize more lush and hilly.
i have spent time on t&c and know that diving is huge there. some say in top 10 in world. 7000' walls!! grace bay beach is on top 10 most beautiful in world list. they have great restaurants but little shopping and nightlife is very low key. have also been on st. thomas - larger, MUCH more populated, tons of shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. good diving. neither of these places is in any sense "quaint".
belize or bonarie would fill that part. the abc's(abuba,bonaire,curacao) are old dutch islands with very colorful towns and history.
fodors has a boatload of st. john and bvi fans so i will assume they will give you a lot of info about where in particular you might look there.
if you choose t&c i highly recommend art pickerings provo turtle divers. oldest on island. outstanding boats and crew!
oh yes, if you can wait til mid april you will find that the rates drop a ton everywhere as it is considered the end of high season. everything will be much less busy and laid back...
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:50 AM

good post above!

I'd vote for the BVI..end of April it can be done on a budget...lots to see...good diversity in dive sites!

plus scenics like this:

http://www.usinter.net/ebearman/Wedd...in%20Gorda.jpg

Do a google.com search for:
Mom's BVI dive sites

tons of photos maps contact info!

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 09:58 AM

here is that url:

http://www.scubamom.com/scuba/
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I would suggest St John of the US Virgin Islands.It is the least developed and has some nightlife.Cruz Bay (the main town)is a cute town with some shops and restaurants that are easily walkable.

My husband and I love to snorkel.We have not tried diving yet..but I thought that the water clarity was wonderful.We also spoke with a couple who went diving and said that it was wonderful..they saws lots of starfish,an octopus,colorful coral reefs,and a large variety of fish.

Good luck with your research!

Christie
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM

What about St. Kitts?

It's a beautiful island, with fun beach bars (Shiggidy Shack, Turtle Beach Bar & Grill), variety of restaurants and hotels for every budget, friendly and helpful locals, rainforest & volcano tours, snorkeling & diving, historical fortress, day trips to sister island Nevis, secluded beaches, and so much more.

www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Well, I am partial to the Bahamas, that is why I use this email address. I have been to Abacos, New Providence, Grand Bahama, Eleuthera and Cat Island.

I like Eleuthera and Cat Island the best. But I am a beach person; nightclubs are not around in both Eleu and Cat. Eleuthera is relatively undeveloped, and the beaches are empty. My girlfriend and I like to go nude, and we virtually spend the entire vacation in the buff. It s great. Same with Cat Island, and there is even less development there. Absolutely none. It is probably what the Bahaams were like 20 years ago.

bahamasboy