What is the deal with the hotels in Bermuda?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Joan

What is the deal with the hotels in Bermuda?

I've heard amazing things about Bermuda and about the some of the top hotels (Reefs, Pompano, Ariel Sands and Cambridge Beaches), but when I check out their websites, the rooms all look bland. All the hotels seem like they have very typical hotel rooms - with sliding glass doors and windows. There doesn't look like a caribbean feel, but a hotel in any city only with an amazing view. What am I missing here? Am I spoiled by some of the original rooms in high level caribbean resorts with louvered windows and lots of foliage and privacy?
Help! I want to go and experience Bermuda because I've heard such great things about it (and the convienence of getting there), but I'm having a hard time getting excited about it.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Anon

Bermuda is not the caribbean, it is off the Carolina coast. It does not have a caribbean flair because it is not the caribbean. It is a British island with its own flavor. It is not warm all year round, it is not tropical. It is like no place else. The people are lovely,the food is excellent and just a charming, beautiful place to be.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Nancy

Joan, Bermuda is not in the Caribbean.
The cities and hotels there are European/British.
The beaches are clean, safe and beautiful, and there's a lot to do and see. But if you are looking for the ambiance of the Caribbean, you will not really find it on Bermuda.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Joan

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Of course, I know it's location. I have heard such amazing things about it and I want to experience it, but it's just not looking like what I imagined. I guess I need to switch my expectations!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Jim

I think what Joan is saying is the hotels look older and a bit run down. I stayed at the Hamilton Princess, which is okay, and the Marriott Castle Harbour, which we really liked. I think the Castle Harbor is being renovated. If you do a search you'll see some people feel the rooms they stayed in were a bit lacking.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:20 AM
xxx

I think Bermuda is heavily influenced by the English side to it. Much more so than "Caribbean". If you go looking for that, you will be disappointed. Bermuda has its own things to love about the island.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Joan

Ok - so out of each of those 4 hotels (Reefs, Pompano, Ariel Sands and Cambridge Beaches) which do you think offers the nicest and cleanest accomodations? Best services and beach? Least families?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Thinking of going in early November - is that still a good time to go. I'm not a sun-worshipper, but I do want to sit on a beach with a book and feel like it's warm enough to get in the water!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Joan

Anyone?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Sue

Joan, we were there in June and it is beautiful. Really some place not to be missed. Although we were on a cruise ship, I had heard alot about the cottage community owned by Michael Douglas. Maybe it's one of the ones you already mentioned. Don't give up because you will love it. All the pink, turquoise, and yellow houses and the men in their Bermuda shorts! The beaches are beautiful and many have private little alcoves hidden among the rocks that are like little jacuzzis. We travelled all over the island by ferry and loved seeing all the beautiful houses and scenery. Hope it works out for you. Since some of the wealthiest people in the world vacation there I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:10 AM
nina

Joan, My vote goes to the Reefs. The setting is absolutely spectacular, on a cliff. The reception and one dining room are on the cliff, while the other restaurant, which is more casual and has fantastic food, is right down on the beach. I love the Reefs. The rooms are very clean.

Cambridge Beaches is too out of the way for me, and is a little "shabby" chic. Plus, I believe it's more expensive than the Reefs and not nearly as nice, IMO.
I've been twice in June and twice in October and had similar weather all 4 times. Gorgeous, sunny in the low 80's, with the water very warm. I think you'll definitely be able to sunbathe and even swim in early November if it's sunny. Check weatherbase.com for average temps. in November.

I haven't been to Ariel Sands but have heard great things and it is in a great location, mid island, close to Hamilton. The food is supposed to be very good too. Don't know about Pompano.

Bermuda is our favorite island, and is far, far nicer than anything in the caribbean.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:12 AM
nina

Oh, I wouldn't worry about families (kids) at any of these hotels, especially in November. Most of the families stay at the Southhampton Princess or Elbow Beach, although there are a fair number at the Reefs in summer.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Jackie

Joan, while everyone's standards are admittedly different, in my opinion there is not a single true luxury hotel in Bermuda. This frustrates me to no end.
The SH Princess is just a big convention type hotel. It has nice public areas and all the amenities of a big resort, but the rooms are nothing to write home about.
If you ever check any of the luxury hotel lists, Bermuda hotels never rank anywhere near the top.
But since tourism is still going great guns there, what's the incentive for developers to spend all the $$$ to build a world class hotel?

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Cheryl

Joan: We stayed at Cambridge Beaches a couple of years ago and loved it. We did splurge on a deluxe suite manily for the better ocean views. However, the beaches on the Cambridge Beach property are rather small and not as nice as the ones on the south shore that Bermuda is known for ... although it was nice to have the beach to ourselves there much of the time.

If you do a search on this site for "Cambridge Beaches" you will find lots of more specific information. The Reefs also gets consistent good reviews and is more centrally located with a better beach, however I think that the higher end rooms at Cambridge may be much nicer. We would definitely go back to Cambridge Beaches, however we will probably try The Reefs on our next trip to Bermuda.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
xxx

I think it would be too chilly to sit on the beach in November. I went the beginning of October and it was cold. Highs in the 60's.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
nina

xxx, you must have hit a cold spell. Average daily temperature in October is 76, average high is 80 degrees. The average daily temp in November is 71 with an average daily high of 75. Plenty warm enough for me, and as i said, both times I was their in October it was in the 80's and the water was very warm.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Joan

Which are the higher end rooms at the Reefs and what are they like? Does anyone know if you have to do a MAP plan there?

Thanks again!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:09 AM
nina

Yep, they have MAP. The difference in room cost is view, and size. They are all furnished the same.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:38 AM
xxx

I stayed at a new junior suite at the Reefs last year. It was not large, but it was very nice, with a beautiful ocean view and a private deck. It is very expensive in high season, however.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Jan

There is a local song in Bermuda which says "Bermuda is another world." Indeed it is! From the time to fly into the island and notice the white roofs on every single building to the time you depart this pristine place. We lived there for 5 years in the mid to late 80's and have been back for visits a few times since leaving. Bermuda has alot of charm and history with a semi tropical climate. Cool temps begin around November and last until March but you could get some hot days in Nov with cooler nights - you will need to walk with a sweater for the evenings. Locals do not go to the beach after Labour Day but that does not mean that you should'nt. Horseshoe Beach is my favourite - and it is not too far from the Reefs if you end up staying there. There are indeed no five star hotels on the island but there are some great resturants - Bermudians are quite proud of their good restuarants. If you play golf, you will be in your element as there are at least a dozen golf courses on the island some of them champion golf courses. They also have a very good bus system which is a good way to see alot of the island rather than renting a moped. (There are no car rentals on the island). One must-see is Nelsons Dockyard in Somerset - a lovely historical area where you can tour around and also have lunch and shop a bit. St George's Square is also another must-see area in the town of St George. Local food is not bad - alot of it is based on tradition - for example on a Sunday morning, few Bermudians depart from their standard fare of codfish and pototoes with ripe bananas for breakfast. They also have a very unique Christmas cassava pudding - Christmas would not be the same without it - all very interesting. This is not an island to go to if you are looking for action and to be on the go all the time - it is for those who want a nice relaxing holiday in a very beautiful place.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Karin

It sounds as if you're looking for a luxury hotel but you might want to consider renting a private home or apartment. I spent four glorious days in Bermuda last November (gorgeous weather, beached every day) in an gardenapartment in a private home. You can find these places online. Rent a scooter, explore the island, have fun.