What is THE best spot in the Caribbean, anyway?

Aug 10th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Lee

What is THE best spot in the Caribbean, anyway?

OK, fellow Fodorite's, which is it?

We all discuss our various travels and let's face it, we've all had our "best" and "worst" destinations, so when it comes right down to it, which one is the best?

It doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be the most expensive or difficult to reach. In fact, the criteria should include: the natural beauty of the island, safety, accommodations, friendliness of the people and the staff, dining choices and selection of things to do, et al.

All things being equal, we'll assume that the weather is good everywhere, which isn't difficult to believe, obviously.

I'm interested to find out which location "wins" out, so cast your vote, travelers!

Aug 10th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Steve&Steffy

In our book Aruba for safety, friendliness of people, outstanding restaurants, beautiful beaches.

Aug 10th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Jane

My vote: St. Martin

Aug 10th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Sandra

British Virgin Islands

Aug 10th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Tim

Best: Aruba. Safe, no hurricanes, the best beaches in the Caribbean, great restaurants, the best nightlife, lots of attractions, AND inexpensive (compared to most other islands).

Worst: St. Maarten (crime, hurricanes, dirty, roads, FRENCH PEOPLE, etc.)

Aug 10th, 2000, 01:17 PM
leila

BARBADOS! Pretty island w/ varied landscape, friendly locals, great nightlife and restaurants & beautiful beaches.

Aug 10th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Karen

I always think the latest is the "very best!" Guess 'cause you come home still enthralled by all of it! I absolutely feel in love with Meridian Club on Pine Cay in the Turks and Caicos - and that was the latest trip and for years, friends told me I would be thrilled with it! I was! Up until then, my choice would have been the BVI's, Guana Island, Peter Island and Biras Creek. Little Dix always ranked up there too! I have two on my "hit list" for this winter - PSV and Anguilla - and no doubt that they will both crowd my #1 spot! Jumby Bay was - when it was Banfi's - But if I had to pick the absolute perfect spot - Necker Island! No doubt ...

Aug 12th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Eric

My vote goes to St. Barts

Aug 14th, 2000, 08:29 PM
D Endicott

Grand Cayman is the best. been all over and the beaches are great. we would just drive around and stop and go snorkeling!! Better than the virgin islands, jamaica, mexico

Aug 15th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Billy

Lee,
The absolutely best spot, is the one you enjoy the most.
As you can tell from these posts, each of us has different tastes and expectations. Some of us like gorgeous resorts and don't care what's on the other side of the gate, others like to "get the feel" of different cultures. Some of us like pools and nightlife, others beaches and tranquility. If asked about my personal favorite (although it's not in the Caribbean), I pick the Island of Bora Bora in the Societies. I've heard others agree that its spectacular, but complain there's not much to do. If you read this board carefully Lee, you'll find posts by folks that appear to have interests similar to yours. Make a list of places, and start travelling. You'll find your "best spot".
Cheers

Aug 16th, 2000, 12:15 PM
Kent

Best: Curacao; spend three weeks there yearly. Variety of excellent restaurants; good sights; good beaches; great scuba diving. Check out the Seaquararium. Favorite resort: Princess Beach (best resort beach on island).

Aug 17th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Rodney

Lee,

I think that the Turks and Caicos offer the best for your dollar: They are beautiful, safe, quiet, but with adequate number of things to do and see as well as great food.

Thanks, Rodney

Aug 17th, 2000, 11:38 AM
chas

St Maarten/St Martin:

The smallness of the island and the blending of the cultures.

People go to these islands for different reasons. Some for the natural beauty of which St martin ranks low. A rolling country hillside best describes it; great beaches though.

But what sets it apart is the blend of Caribbean, African, Dutch and French cutures on the small island (not to mention countless others). It contrasts a lifestyle on each side of the island also with a contrast/blending of the culinary influence. Never a loss of style to choose from on the island.

When you vacation, you either visit for the cultural experience, the natural experience or a combination of both. You rank them based upon importance in your decision.

Aug 17th, 2000, 02:22 PM
Ray Snow

I cannot choose just 1 best place in the Caribbean. In my opinion, it's a tie between St. John, USVI and Virgin Gorda, BVI. Both are safe laid-back places with splendid beaches, friendly people, outstanding archipelagic views, good sailing, and excellent restaurants. Bermuda is actually not in the Caribbean, but many people consider it part of that region. If it is included, I would put Bermuda in a 3-way tie with my other 2 choices, although it is much more expensive and is too cool for water sports in the winter. It does have about the best golf choices in one place in the world.

Aug 18th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Sandra

Lee: My choice would have to be Aruba.

Beaches with sugar-white sand, great weather everyday, many different activities, an abundant choice of restaurants, friendly people lots to see and do make it my favorite destination.

We went there three years ago for the first time and now we try to make it an annual destination of ours.

Aug 18th, 2000, 02:46 PM
gail

Another vote for Bora Bora...

Aug 18th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Mr. X

Why vote for Bora Bora while it is not in the Caribbean, I thought the question was what was the best choice in the Caribbean? Bora Bora is in the Pacific. Pacific Islands and Caribbean Islands are different. Bora Bora would have to deal with Hawaii and other Pacific Islands.

Aug 18th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Karen

Aruba's beach is lovely, no doubt. And the island does offer many alternative activities and a long stretch of hirise hotels on the beach. But the big disadvantage is the wind ... and the blowing sand. I felt sandblasted even with making a windbrake out of chairs and towels. Not my kinda fun - it hurt! But it does have some great pluses, I guess, as so many people love it! Give me tradewinds anyday - even the Christmas Winds in Drake's Passage - but not the wind tunnel I found in Aruba that chased everyone to the pools!

Aug 19th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Louis

As I think over the years and places, I keep coming back to Guana Island. We love the outlook and sitting out on the porch. We like the informal way meals are handled and the casual mixing that results. The small beaches each offer surprises. The trails are lovely and the mixture of flora and fauna is the best there is in the US and British Virgin Islands. One can't say that any one thing is the best but all together they are hard to beat. I think I would place Petit Saint Vincent next. Then there is The Windmill Farms on Salt Cay which is now closed as the owners have retired. This is the only place we have been in the Caribbean where my wife did not receive a bite from anything. She is normally the bait that keeps things away from me.

Aug 19th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Jane

Anguilla.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO