Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What documents do I need to bring my Yorkie to St Martin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know what I will need to be able to fly to (and from) St Martin with my service dog?
We plan on going in about two weeks, I have all the documentation from our recent trip to Great Britain so I think I will be ok but I just want to be sure.

Thank you
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 04:22 AM

Sorry, I hit 'submit' too soon.

The second health certificate, must be issued here on the island - again NO MORE THAN 5 DAYS BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE.

As your dog is small, I presume he/she will travel with you in the cabin. If this is not so, I can provide you with the necessary information regarding additional items needed.

My dog is a 'frequent flyer' between here and the US - though she doesn't get air miles - so I know exactly what is required !
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM

I don't know how this has happened, but the first part of my response hasn't appeared !

You will need evidence that your dog's vacinations are fully up to date. Be careful about this, and you should check well in advance of your departure date, as I think that some vacinations come in two doses, and there is a time lag after the second dose is administered before it is considered fully effective.

Prior to your departure you will need to obtain a health certificate for him/her from your veterinarian, dated NOT MORE THAN 5 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR DATE OF TRAVEL.

On your return to the US, you will need exactly the same paperwork.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I am still a bit confused though. The health certificate I have for the dog will be valid for three months from the day of issue, just as it was when I went to the UK, so presumably this will be enough to get him back into the US, it was when returning from Europe. Does St Martin have any specific tests or vaccinations that are not required for the UK? I will only be on the island one month do I still need a new certificate before I can return? My dog is a service animal for me and as such he travels in the cabin. Thank you so much for your help and sorry if I am being a bother but I can't find any information out online!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Hi Catherine.

St Martin itself has no apparent requirements for importation (temporary or permanent) of a dog !

The requirements are to satisfy the airline carrying the animal on the way here, and to satisfy the US Health Department when the dog enters the States.

If your stay on the island is only for a month, and if the Health Certificate which you obtain in the US before departure is valid for 3 months, you SHOULD not need to obtain another here before you return.

My situation is somewhat different, as my dog lives here,and the Certificate the I obtain before departure is not valid for the return journey - even though the authorities here couldn't care less, the airline rules state differently.

In any case, it is worth checking with the airline on which you intend to fly back to the States that they will not demand another document dated less than 5 days prior to your return travel date. A quick phone call to their 'Customer Service' will clarify their position in this regard.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Hi Catherine

My pleasure !

Have a great visit, but I DO suggest that you keep your pooch on a lead at all times.

Regards

David