Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What caribbean island should I surprise my husband for his 40th birthday in October?

Search

What caribbean island should I surprise my husband for his 40th birthday in October?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:53 AM
Susan

I'm surprising my husband for his 40th birthday. We've gone to Aruba 3 times in the last 2 years. We want to try something new. I want to go somewhere that it safe, clean, and where you can drink the water. I am also a little paranoid and want the place I visit to be able to accomodate health issues (thought we don't have any, but you never know). <BR><BR>We would like to visit a place without children (love them, but not on vacation). We also like a more upscale place. We stayed at the Marriott Aruba and we loved the romantic waterfalls and tropical surrounding.<BR><BR>Any suggestions on a "safe" clean place, free of local beggers. <BR><BR>We do like to take sunset cruises, snorkel, sailing during the day, etc. <BR><BR>Any suggestions?? We are going in October 26 of 2002. Not too worried about hurricanes though. Thanks VERY much!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:14 AM
xxx

Grand Caymen would be a place to check out. We were there last summer-we were on a cruise so I don't know which hotel to recommend, but the island is beautiful as are the beaches.They do not have much poverty or crime on the island so it is very safe.Snorkling was good too. Food is expensive here.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
yyy

Susan,<BR>I like Grand Cayman very much, but it has no upscale hotels or resorts. Look at the Ocean Club (sister property to Atlantis-like night and day).<BR><BR>xxx,<BR>Firstly, it is Cayman, not Caymen.<BR>Secondly, you weren't really "there," you were dropped like a herd of cattle on the beach or in George Town to roam around until time for the tender to take you back to the boat.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Linda

hey Susan,<BR> If I were going to surprise my hubby (and I think I will do this) I would rent a luxury villa on Virgin Gorda, Tortola, St Bart's, St Kitt's or Nevis. One with a private pool right by the door with maid and maybe chef service!Then buy some hot lingerie or run around naked a lot- after all you'll have total privacy- skinny dip together at night with citronella candles burning by the pool. Make him feel like he's 18 again!!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:01 AM
Mary

Just keep in mind that October is still the height of hurricane season.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
A Snow

I would highly recommend Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda.(sister property to Caneel Bay- more private) It is without a doubt the most romantic, tranquil resort and they treat you like royalty. <BR>We booked our air and hotel through a travel agent and included in our package was a sunset cocktail cruise, a catamaran 1/2 day sail, and many other great things. The snorkeling is amazing on Virgin Gorda with the 'Baths' nearby. The hotel will also pack you a picnic and drop you by boat at a private beach nearby for the afternoon which we loved. We snorkeled all afternoon and enjoyed the untouched beach. <BR>The food is incredible. The service is first rate. There are very few children around as this is such a romantic resort that many people don't feel comfortable having their kids eat with them at their candlelit table in the pavillion dining room! It just wouldn't work!<BR>Hope this is helpful.<BR>www.littledixbay.com

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Susan

Thanks for all of you who replied to my question. I really appreciate your opinions.<BR><BR>Susan

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:57 AM
Keith

If romance is what you have in mind I don't think you should go to Little Dix. There are children around which spoils the mood a little bit. I know opinions vary but I didn't like the food at Little Dix. It wasn't bad but it was only good. I expected a lot more.<BR><BR>I think Linda's suggestion of a villa is great. I have never gone that route but I have heard very good things. If you want an intimate/upscale resort I would go with either Peter Island or Biras Creek (Virgin Gorda).

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:05 AM
lucretia319

Caneel Bay on St. John. Heard great things about it. Very exclusive and relaxing. You will love it.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:40 AM
lynn

Why not Maui? It's absouletly beautiful! I hear better than Aruba.<BR>That's my vote!!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:53 PM
George

I would vote for Orient Beach on St. Martins. Lots of wonderful resturants. The idea about running around naked lots works for me. We went there and had a wonderful time for our 25th. Very laid back, very beautiful, very romantic.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:35 PM
fyi

Orient Beach is like a busy states beach or European one! If you are into that fine-I prefer tranquility and try to go to a much quieter beach!!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Sharon

One of our favorite islands is Antigua--beautiful beaches, excellent cuisine, historical areas, yachts-harbors etc. We are in our fifties and we have recently stayed at Sandals Antigua twice --the property is beautiful--sometimes has a young honeymoon crowd. Another very romantic resort is Galley Bay in Antigua, polynesian atmosphere and very luxurious. By the way, a girl I used to work with broke her leg while vacationing in Antigua and had treatment and a cast put on at a local hospital in Antigua--she said they were very good and had modern equipment, just letting you know since you asked about medical attention. <BR>In French St. Martin, Esmeralda Resort is quiet, with lush landscaping and a great location on the gorgeous Orient Beach. Our Deluxe unit had burners and a small refrigerator, very spacious with a cathedral ceiling and we shared a private pool with 2 other units. You will need a rental car here to drive to excellent restaurants at night or you can eat at the beach bar or restaurant onsite. Esmeralda is located on a clothing optional beach with some partial nudity on their beach area and occasionally total nudity from people walking down the beach from the nearby nudist hotel.<BR>All of these resorts are very romantic.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:49 AM
Sandy

Turks & Caicos.<BR><BR>It is very secluded...very romantic. Less commercialized

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
lisa

Go to St. Lucia...looks beautiful

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Mary

St. Lucia does have some beautiful landscapes but it is definitely not free from beggars, the medical facilities are probably not as modern as you would like (especially in the south), and the snorkeling isn't that great (IMO). <BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:59 AM
peggy

I surprised my husband on his 40th, and 9 years later he still talks about it! I worked thru his office to make sure he had vacation time, and all appoints were rescheduled (even had to get clients involved) packed for him, WHICH WAS ONE OF HIS FAVORITE PARTS(which is easy cuz in October all summer clothes were put away anyway). Tho, I took him to Hawaii, I think you should be okay in the southern Carib. We have been to Grand Cayman and Dorado Puerto Rico in October (cuz of his bday) and had great weather both times. Grand Cayman, you have to stay at the Hyatt in the Beach front suites. They are awesome, in October you shouldnt have too many kids anyway... Have fun! and good luck on the surprise. peggy