Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What business is missing from St. John or Vieques?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have been to St. John several times and like so many of you have been bitten by the Caribbean bug! We often daydream about moving south and setting up a business, either on St. John or Vieques, another of our favorite destinations.

We've got several thoughts on possible businesses to open, but I was curious, what type of business (catering to tourists) do you feel is missing in St. John? What would you like to see offered?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I think that restaurant delivery to someone's villa is a good idea.

We are going to Grand Cayman in May and I noticed a company that does this there.It would be a wonderful idea on St John as it mainly has villas.

The company in GC has a list of restaurants and the menus of the restaurants and they deliver you dinner for a charge of around $5.00.Being that STJ is a mountainous island...I would charge more in STJ.
Just a thought!

Christie

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I forgot to add the $5.00 charge is per entree.

Christie
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Interesting thread! Two of my favorite places as well. As for STJ, I can think of nothing the island needs for tourists. It has changed so much in just the last few years!
We are now in Vieques for the winter (could not afford STJ, but have grown to love this little island!)
Perhaps shops for tourists. A guest house...rental villas, as this island will become more visited in the next few years. This may sound crazy but finding decent meat at the grocery stores is a gameof chance! Maybe a meat/fish market. I know, that does not sound like a lot of fun! Will keep thinking!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I can tell you there are few places to buy household furnishing basics. "Functional Furnishings" moved to St. Thomas, and another shop burned down. I have to go to St. Thomas to buy a mattress, pillows, bed sheets, etc. for anywhere near a decent price.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM

You absolutely most know that St John is not like other places. I have been here 12 years and have seen businesses come and go. It is not nearly enough to know where there is a need on island. The islands will spit you out just as quickly as you came if you are not meant to be here, not trying to be mean just real. Apparently Kenny Chesney has started Island Fever or something cause everyone and there mother is moving her now. This is good and bad. some businesses that tried to make it years ago didnt work but do now, and not always cause of the traffic. You got to remember the people who move here especially those that have been here before hurricane lois are a different type of people. I would never own a shop here. The rent is crazy, not enough traffic and I have personally dealt with some of the landlords of these places and they really do have you by the boobs! You must have a business that does not require you to rent a place would be best. Good luck to you. I would choose a place that is being built up, St John is already pretty built up. I heard Panama is good.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:22 AM

I've lived in the Caribbean since 1982. Don't remember a Hurricane Lois???

Anyway, you pose a good question & it isn't easy finding a niche on any of these islands. A good thing about the USVI is that it is part of the US which somewhat simplifies things but a lot depends on what skills you have & whether you will be hiring lots of employees or if this will be a one man/woman service type thing.

Let me think on this a while & ask a few friends. We're forever saying "I sure wish we had ------ here."