Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What are your must take items to Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to SJ in July....What are YOUR must take items?
Mine are so far: bug spray, lots of sunblock, croakies, tennis shoes/hiking shoes, snorkeling gear, sunglasses, raft, camera/film, Immodium, Citrucel caplets, Dramamine, Tylenol/Advil, books....I'm going to type up a "travel list" so please help me out with your suggestions!!
Thanks!!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Well a couple of things I always take include a multitool and also one of the small eyeglass repair kits with extra screws and the small jewellers screw driver to fix things when the screw comes loose. Pack these in your checked luggage only.
Also guidebook, Spanish/English dictionary (for my common destination) Map, GPS, Laptop (for downloading the digital camera chips each nite), Tilley Hat, Money Belt, Waterproof money pouch for keys and stuff while swimming, Plug/voltage adaptor/converter if necessary, spare camera batteries, Cigar clipper, AfterBite (for when you get bit), toilet paper (half-roll in my day pack), small day pack, DUCT TAPE (small roll, re-rolled onto small core, long enough to seal hotel room door against smoke in event of fire plus odd repair jobs on suitcases!) small digital alarm clock, Ziploc Freezer Bags for wet stuff coming home.

So that's some of my list. Hope it helps.
Steve
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:59 AM

I always take an insulated "Igloo" bottle for water. I carry this bottle full of water and ice around with me all the time. Some can even be found with a shoulder strap. You really need to hydrate yourself well in a hot climate. I also pack a small "night light" which I plug into the bathroom socket for a little light to get to the bathroom safely during the night. Many of the small items I do not unpack when I get home, but leave them right in my suitcase for my next trip.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:53 AM

An extra (comfortable) pair of flip-flops or sandals, a football/soccer ball to throw/kick on the beach, & mp3/cd player to listen to while taking an afternoon nap on the beach (comes in handy when many kids are screaming near your deck/beach chair.)
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:55 AM
mm

flash light
anti-itch lotion
candle(s)
fingernail clipper
sandles
lot's of ca$h
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM

a couple items beside the regular bathroom items, and of course snorkel gear + clothes that we always pack for all vacations include:
-Drink Koozies (insulated can/bottle holders) a must in the tropics.
-El Cheapo raft from K-mart(leave it there for someone else to use)
-Collapsable cooler

These 3 items have made a great trip even more enjoyble many times, and they are all easy to pack.

-small backpack
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM

earplugs, swiss army knife
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:13 PM

A Kite !!!!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Collapsible cooler for lunch and cold water on the beach (freeze bottles of water to use instead of ice, and drink the icy water as it melts. Ahhhh!)

"Off" mosquito coils for sunset drinks on the porch.

A sarong to use as a beach cover up, to drape over my shoulders if I'm feeling like I'm getting too much sun, to wear like a dress instead of a bathrobe, etc.

Benadryl in case I get so many bug bites that they set up an itching force field around me, preventing any sleep.

Sudafed to keep my ears clear for diving.

As many paperbacks as I can carry to read on the beach.

I'd like to second Canuck's advice about duct tape based on bitter personal experience. My avid hiker husband was half way through a 12 mile hike when the sole of his very expensive but also very old hiking book detached from the boot. He didn't have duct tape, so he had to make due with a bungee cord to hold his sole on until he made it down the mountain. This cut off circulation to his toes, and now he has slight nerve damage in his foot. A little duct tape (and checking the boots before the trip) would have prevented this. We will always have duct tape with us from now on!

We also always find a place to buy a cheap vase on the first day, so that we can have fresh tropical flowers in our cottage during the trip.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:54 AM

I'm curious -- what are "croakies"? Assume it's regional slang for something but I have never heard the term!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Blueswimmer, had to laugh...the same thing happened to my companion's runners as we were half-way through a parrot-watching hike. We had no duct tape but found chewing gum worked well (although it needed to be replaced every hour or so with fresh supplies).

Re packing essentials for howlermonkey

a) if you are Canadian, take your provincial health card...Canadian physicians travelling abroad will often pitch in and help in emergencies. If you can give them your card number, this helps them get paid under the national plan.

b) Puerto Rico has pretty much the same stores as mainland USA. So you should be able to buy almost everything that has been listed after you arrive. Just a thought, in case you want to lighten up on the packing !
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions...this Caribbean travel board has some great people...by the way, do I need to take my money with me everywhere? Should I not leave anything at the villa? I am asking this question because of the money pouch...while traveling in Europe I used a money pouch, but is it necessary in Saint John too?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Croakies are the strap that you hook onto the temples of your glasses or sunglasses to help prevent them from falling off your head and into the water, or onto the ground. They float too.

Howlermonky, STJ is very safe. We never even locked the door of our villa and left most of our stuff there. The villas generally aren't too close together, so it's unlikely anybody would come by and rob you. You'll have to judge your place, but ours was safe. If you lock the villa, you certainly can leave your valuables out of sight and feel comfortable. Most of the previous posters have nailed my must bring list, but I'll reinforce my favorites...

Small flashlight
Collapsable cooler
Tevas
Bug Spray & Benadryl
(you can use paste toothpaste for afterbites)
Suntan lotion 15, 30 & 30+
Hat(s)
Croakies & sunglasses
Day pack with water bottle
Vasaline for husband with mustache's snorkle sealing assistance
Chapstick with SPF properties
travel hammock was great at Little Lamasur Bay beach
Candles & drink cozies for sure!

Cheap raft is an excellent suggestion and will definitely be useful in STJ

Happy packing!! Trish
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Where can I buy a collapsable cooler?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Trish, what's a "drink cozy?"

Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:52 AM

For Collapsable coolers, I'd try your local Target etc. They're just made of fabric/soft plastic so you can squish them flat for packing. Drink cozies are usually made from neoprene or some fabric/foam material and are like a sleeve that the can or bottle goes in to keep it insulated & cold while you drink. We got some recently at a local sporting goods store in the seasonal section.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:12 PM

I always bring 16-oz. disposable cups, or large reusable plastic glasses. The little glasses supplied in hotels never hold as much water as I want after a day cavorting in the tropics.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM

We always bring a deck of cards and the cribbage board,and if you wear contacts ,don't forget the lens case as we had an awful time trying to chase one of those down last trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM

WOW! How do any of you fit clothes in with all this other stuff. You need two suitcases just to pack all this extra crap. I already have an extra suitcase just for shoes. What is the luggage limit for most airlines lately?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Lots and lots of books!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -