Single, Female Traveler - Pick an island

Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single, Female Traveler - Pick an island

I am a single female from NY in my mid-30's and enjoy traveling by myself. However, picking a Caribbean island is so hard because I am swimming in choices. I am hoping you all can help with picking an island and maybe even suggest hotels. Below is a lot of information, which I am hoping does not come off as stand-offish but more as helpfulness.

My budget is 2000 for 5 nights/4 days including the flight.. It could be 4 nights/4 days if the flights work out right. I'm looking at either a last minute trip, end of May, or maybe sometime in the fall, taking my chances on hurricane season. I am thinking AI or non-AI. My ultimate goal is to really relax and not exploring much. I want to sit by a nice pool and hopefully the on-property beach that lets me see my toes-in the water, however, if that's not possible the pool overlooking the ocean will work (and if there is a lazy river pool even better). Would really love to go horseback riding on the beach, maybe a hike, a walk if there is a boardwalk or close stores nearby as I will not be renting a car, and perhaps a fun sailing class. But overall the hotel is where I plan to spend most of my time.

I've already been to the Caymans, Jamaica, Bahamas, and Cozumel and while I have not explored every inch of those my preference is to not go back. I have thought of Puerto Rico but I am thinking there is so much to see and explore I'll need another vacation. However, if I am wrong please tell me.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

And thank you for any and all help! It is greatly appreciated
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Hi Beth,

I travel solo, female, as well. I have been only to Mexico, St-Maarten and St-Kitts, plus a cruise. I love love love St.Maarten, i've been 5 times now. I have stayed all over the island but my fav is without question, the French side, St.Martin, specifically Grand Case or Orient Bay. I have never had an issue there except for the usual trying to get a seaside seat in a restaurant ... but I just don't let anyone treat me down

Grand Case is quiet, small, french, wonderful ... stroll down the road for crepes, stop at the marche for baguettes and wine ... then indulge right on your own beach ... can't get that in a resort ... especially the the single supplement!!!!!! which is a big reason i choose a condo instead.

There are so many things to do in St.Martin/St.Maarten. You can catch an all day catamaran right off Grand Case beach to Anguilla, oh my so much ...!

Want more info on Grand Case let me know!
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Look at Turks and Caicos...airport code PLS. Direct flights from NYC. Lots of condos along Grace Bay in every price range. Very safe and easy to walk to dining, grocery store and shopping ( BUT ,not much shopping) Look at Ocean Club West, The Sands , Alexandra or Royal West Indies. They may fit into your price range. Not on the beach but, a 2 minute walk with chairs and beach set up is Villa Del Mar.
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm no expert on any of the islands you're considering, but have traveled solo to a lot of beach-y vacations.

As far as Puerto Rico, I say you can relax or be active as you choose doesn't matter what the island does or doesn't have available.

(I've been to Puerto Vallarta Mexico 20 times and have yet to take a tour or do an activity, I always just lounge around the beach or the hotel pool, walk around town, basically just kick back... every day)