Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > What are the Sandals Grande St. Lucian basic deluxe rooms like?

What are the Sandals Grande St. Lucian basic deluxe rooms like?

Jun 18th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

What are the Sandals Grande St. Lucian basic deluxe rooms like?

We're going to Sandals Grande St. Lucian Aug 3-10. What are the basic deluxe rooms like? Decent size, nice decor? Also, are there any suggestions on which basic rooms still have a decent view? How are the bugs at that time of year? For those of you who have been, what did you love, what did you hate? What would you have done differently?

We are a couple in our late 20s.

Ciao,
DarbyNYC
Jun 18th, 2003, 04:21 PM

We stayed there in April and absolutely loved it. The rooms are very nice and clean. Not really big but comfortable enough. We really don't spend alot of time in the room so it's not extremely important. If you're looking for marble floors or granite countertops you won't find them. You can read our trip report at

http://www.tropictravelonline.com/bl...n_42003htm.htm

I highly reccommend the beachfront rooms which face Rodney bay. the view it spectacular. Try and get a second floor room so the view won't be obstructed. The third is best but that's the concierge level which you have to pay extra for unless you get an upgrade. We were upgraded and while the ammenities were nice, it really isn't worth an extra 700-800 a week.

I gurantee no matter what room you stay in you will love the grande. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have.

Paul
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:43 PM

We went on our honeymoon 5 yrs ago and I thought it was way overpriced, overcrowded and over-rated! The room was large enough, but worn out furniture, curtains, etc. We were in a suite. It was difficult to make reservatins for the better restaurants, and food was mrginal at best. Hope it's improved since then.
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:56 PM

We stayed there in October 2002 and absolutely loved it! We were in the deluxe room, and as the previous person said, the rooms are clean and fairly large. There is a small sofa and table and a desk in the room. So you're not always "stuck" on the bed. The bathrooms are spacious for the Caribbean.
As for the person who went there five years ago, I'm not sure that was a Sandals then. In fact, I think it was owned by Hyatt. The management (Sandals) was wonderfully accomodating. In fact, one morning we complained about some of the noise related to the renovations, and we never heard another peep from the workers. They are extremely "customer oriented."
Bugs? Don't remember that being a problem. In fact, all we used was sunscreen.
We did an excursion - the day sail. We highly enjoyed it! Also, we really liked the advantage of staying at one and playing at all three Sandals. If you are interested in going to the Japanese restaurant at the Golf Resort, call to make your reservations the first day you are there. (We weren't able to get in for 5 days!) The food is great and it is a popular restaurant. The Pier, at the Halycon has great atmosphere, but the food that we ordered really wasn't that great.

Differently? I'm not sure we would have done anything differently. Well, actually, I would have gone on the shopping tour. But that is it!
Enjoy! It was our best vacation ever.
(FYI - We're a couple in our early 30's.)
Jul 4th, 2003, 09:11 PM

colojayhawk...5 years ago sandals grande st lucian was the hyatt st lucia. IT has since been taken over by sandals and extensively renovated.

Search this Thread