Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Westin - St. John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/westin-st-john-600801/)

ydoc Mar 20th, 2006 08:28 AM

Westin - St. John

If we are not staying there, can we use the beach in front of the Westin and can we use the pool. Do they have wrist bands or how do they know who the guests are.

Thanks

JimC Mar 20th, 2006 09:22 AM

You really do not want to use the beach there when some of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean are nearby. The Westin beach is pretty lousy, IMHO.

The pool, on the other hand, is fun. We've used it as legit guests and as "guests". We've never had any problems. No wrist bands. You might be able to pay a resort fee if you don't want to worry.

bermudafan Mar 20th, 2006 09:24 AM

we just got back from the Westin 2 weeks ago and no one has a clue who is at the pool, trust me! go and enjoy yourself :)

ydoc Mar 20th, 2006 09:41 AM

Thanks so much...I love the beaches at St. John but I'm sure once our teenagers find out about the pool at the Westin, they are going to want to hang out there.

Thanks again!

bermudafan Mar 20th, 2006 10:46 AM

ydoc,
I just posted a long winded trip report that you might enjoy. have a great time in St. John! The Westin pool is great for teenagers...

MarionCK Mar 20th, 2006 11:00 AM

ydoc,

I'm ready for the bashing that this post will produce.

All beaches in the Caribbean are public. Even the five star resorts that tout "private" beaches ara available to anyone. if they can get there by foot or by boat they have a right to be there. And that is how it should be, in my opinion.

But you take this to a new level by asking if you can access the pool at a resort where you are not a guest.

If a pool is so important to your teenagers...then maybe you should have booked at the Westin. But I can tell you that if I were a paying guest at any resort and found unregistered guests coming to the pool, I'd not be happy.

I'm not sure what message you might be sending to your young adults ?

Maybe you can explain ?

Marion

xkenx Mar 20th, 2006 11:21 AM

No bashing, MarionCK. IMO you are exactly right.

Kath Mar 20th, 2006 11:24 AM

I agree. I'd hate to be paying the $$ necessary to stay at the Westin and know that others who are laying the in the chairs and in the pool are using it for free. IMO, the pool is the only reason it's worth paying to stay at this place to begin with.

ydoc Mar 20th, 2006 01:41 PM

MarionCk

I asked if non guests can use the pool and beach. I asked if the guests have wrist bands.

Personally unless it's a very, very small resort with very, very, very limited seating, I couldn't care less who uses the facilities.

Geez, take it easy, I have one teenager who's on crutches and I thought the Westin would be great for them to hang out and meet other teenagers.

And for your information, I couldn't get a condo at the Westin for the dates we wanted.

If there is a charge when we get down there, sleep tight... we will pay and be just fine with it.

Take a chill pill!