Provo Bound in 3 Days: Last Minute Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This board has gotten me so excited about my trip. Thank you so much!

A few last minute T&C questions:

1. Has anybody windsurfed in Provo? I have never windsurfed but I thought it would be a different experience.

2. We'll be staying at the Sibonne. Do they offer snorkeling equipement? It doesn't look like it from their website. If not, where should I rent it?

3. Nightlife. I've found some references to live music at both Anacaona and Calico Jacks. We'd definitely be up for that---I'm just curious as to what genre of music it is. Also, I'm not finding much info on here about any great local bars on Provo. I know it's not known for its nightlife but where do the locals go? At least one "divey" recommendation would be a plus...

4. Pools. I loved your photos caribtraveler of the Grace Bay Club Pool. I've gathered from a couple of threads that it is okay to take a dip if you're visiting the hotel beach bar or restaurant. Is this correct? And if so, is there one pool really worth going to? Obviously the ocean's the main draw but.. just a thought.

5. Spa. I'd love to get a massage. Is it possible to find one for under $100? I think I might have to choose between the spa and the windsurfing...

6. Food. We plan on indulging in two nice dinners while we are there. I'm thinking Coyaba and Magnolia. Any suggestions for which we should save to our last night (Thursday)?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks again for any input you might have!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM

I'll reply to numbers 3 & 4....Fri nite at Calico Jack's is mostly island music....reggae and the like....live local band and dancing under the stars. After that closes you can go to Bambooz for a DJ. Another spot the locals go is in Blue Hills.

We have found that "visiting" the pools when we are beach walking has never been an issue.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks shariej. I'm a little worried that there will REALLY be nothing going on in the evening while we are there--Mon-Thurs nights. But I will look into your suggestion for Blue Hills. Thanks.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM

In twenty plus trips to Provo don't think I have ever seen anyone wind surf. There are some guys who kite board down by turtle cove in the evening.
Sibonne used to have a dive shop with snorkel gear but it is gone. Caicos Adventures in Ports of Call may rent gear. The do snorkel trips.
Coyaba and Magnolia are both excellent. Don't think it matters which you do the last night. Think Coyaba is closed Tuesday and Magnolia Mon but check. Danny Bouys an Irish Pub is pretty cool. Not a lot of local dives per se. You might check out Banana Boat in Turtle Cove or Zodax on Leeward Highway. Music at Anacona is a three person trio. Mostly dance music. Old time Caribbean like Harry Belafonte etc. Yellow bird, Jamiaca Farewell, Day'o. If you have a car go to Da Conch Shack in Blue Hills--Neat Place.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I can address #1 as I windsurfed for years.

I saw windsurfing at Club Med but they were floundering as there wasn't enough wind for them to get anywhere. I don't know if they could have any bigger winds or not.

As far as Provo...you will love love love the beach and water! Have a great trip and please post your report when you return -- with pictures, please!! (I'm under ice and snow.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM

1. no, but you might call Windsurfing Provo at 649-946-5040. i too have seen them kiteboarding - probably access that part of the beach from the little park near aquamarine beach houses??
2. i have never tried to rent snorkel equip on provo. and now that you mention it i don't know if you can. possibly at the dive shop in ports of call mall. any chance you could buy at least a mask this week end?
3. divey bar could be sharkbite at turtle cove marina - they have a good burger too. lots of locals have lunch a/or afterwork drinks at aqua bar in turtle cove marina - but not divey. da conch shack used to fit this but got sold and is now all new and painted and they do not serve booze you take your own - still good conch for lunch... the bars at leeward marina are kinda divey - there's one that even pretty dark inside.
4. my best friend would think your pool steals are a great plan. all they can do is ask you to leave and then what?, you'll have to go back onto grace bay beach.
5. not sure about the price but many of the resorts have spas. or you can contact [email protected] and she will hook you up.
6. as i don't think coyaba is beachfront i would suggest magnolia for the last night. it is not on the beach either, but sits on the hill above turtle cove marina and has a gorgeous view of the harbor.
have a great trip.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! I'm not sure where I got the whole windsurfing idea. Just looking to do something active at some point. The rest of the time we will probably be planted on the beach. I'm thinking that maybe we'll try kayaking instead.

Thanks for the bar recommendations. We'll be fine without divey too---we tend to like one extreme or the other.

I have to admit that BeachGirl247 that I'm absolutely tickled that we're leaving NYC just as winter has FINALLY kicked in. When we started thinking about this trip it was early January and highs were in the upper 60's here. This really is the ONLY place that I can get away with talking about my trip..nobody wants to hear about it here.. =)

I will certainly take tons of pictures. Would it be worth my while to buy an underwater disposable camera for when we go snorkeling. I haven't used a disposable camera in so long period much less one under water. Do the pictures come out?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM

For off the beach snorkeling Coral Gardens is the best area. You might consider trying Snuba. it is run by a young lady right on the beach. Sort of like scuba but the tank floats on the surface. Matt Williams of Cactus Voyager at Coral Gardens rents snorkel gear if he is still at that location. You might consider a day trip to a deserted cay with J&B tours. Umbrellas , chairs, lunch and drinks provided. Pick up a copy of Where, When and How at the airport for the latest info on Provo. Junior the bartender at Sibonne is super. Sit at a table in the bar area and have him deliver your drinks on his head. Check out Somerset next door. Fabulous
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM

fraggle, how about parasailing. you don't have to learn and it's a little bit active.