Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Westin Rio Mar or Hyatt Dorado? What's best for kids, snorkeling, etc.

Westin Rio Mar or Hyatt Dorado? What's best for kids, snorkeling, etc.

Sep 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Westin Rio Mar or Hyatt Dorado? What's best for kids, snorkeling, etc.

Hi. Planning a vacation and would like advice about where to stay. Looking for a resort that is good for kids, I have a 6 and 17 year old, and good for snorkeling since we all love that. Calm clear waters for the little one. Fun things to do with the kids, nice pool. Also not too far from the bio bay and rainforest. Thanks!
Sep 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM

The Westin Rio Mar is close to the biobay and rainforest. The water should be calm and clear. We stayed at the Wyndham El Conquistador, about 10-15 minutes away and enjoyed it. They have their own, private island (very nice), that you take the 15 minute hotel ferry to. They have no direct beach, where you can walk out your room and get to. My boys ages 8 and 12 enjoyed it.

I beleive the Hyatt Dorado is about 45 minute west of San Juan and probably 1.45 hour away from the bio bay and rainforest.
Sep 16th, 2005, 05:41 PM

I do not have any experience with the Westin, but I have stayed at the Hyatt at Dorado Beach. I think the Hyatt would be okay for toddler age kids who only need a beach to play on. I don't think that there is much there for older children. There is a river pool at what used to be the Cerromar Hyatt that you can use. My stepson enjoyed that when he was a kid. But that is a shuttle ride away. Even though I enjoyed the resort, if I were taking my children ,(who are 8 & 10), I would look elsewhere.
Sep 24th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Westin for sure. Lots to do for all age groups.

Search this Thread