Westin Rio Mar Beach Resort

May 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Westin Rio Mar Beach Resort

We will be visiting Puerto Rico over the Fourth of July Holiday. Plan on spending two nights at the Marriott in San Juan and 3 nights at Westin Rio Mar Beach Resort. If anyone has been in the vicinity of the Westin, can you recommend any area restaurants? We will have a rental car and would like to leave the resort for dinner.

Thanks in advance.
May 22nd, 2005, 01:18 PM

First of all let me just tell you that if you enjoy night life, you will LOVE Club Babylon in the El San Juan Hotel. The San Jian area if covered with many restaurants and great places for night life, but Babylon stands out, definately the best and most known.
This club is popular with locals, tourists, older aged and younger.
In the Westin area there are many places to eat. I would suggest you go down a bit into Luquillo / Fajardo, these areas have more restaurants. Any pick in this area is good. All though I would have to get back to you if you are interested in a fancier restaurant, for as far as I know, the mayority of the restaurants are humble local food "joints" . (dont let the food joint scare you, they are great places).
-Ricky
P.S. You shouldnt let the opportunity pass, you must go to the Bio-bay in Fajardo. If you dont know what this is, its a bay where you go at night and the dinophlagelates light the water up when you disturb them.
May 23rd, 2005, 07:12 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions Ricky.
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM
mjz
Original Poster

That I'd try this one more time. Can anyone recommend any good restaurants in the area of the Westin Rio Mar?

Thank you!
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:54 AM

We haven't been to the Westin in about 3 years but we did find the restaurants at the hotel to be quite good. You can drive into town but we only saw little local places.
Jun 15th, 2005, 04:58 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks Sara. Unless we're really tired, which I doubt, we'll venture out for dinner in evening and take our chances. I'm not at all opposed to little local places as long as they are clean with good food.

Did you enjoy the Westin?
Jun 15th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Yes, I liked the Westin alot. It was quiet (we went in December prior to the Holiday) which was just what we needed.

They had 2 pools..one was activity pool and the other was more geared towards adults. Loved the hammocks they had sprinkled along the beach not far from the water.

Pool had bar service that came around and took orders. Beach attendants found you chairs and laid out your towels.

We had an oceanfront suite and it was very nicely appointed. They had golf and tennis.

We came in later in the evening and there was a private jitney from hotel waiting fot us. At that time there wasn't much traffic and took maybe 1/2 hr to 45 minutes.

I would have loved to try some of the small local places but Hubby wasn't to keen on the idea!

ENJOY!!
Jun 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Sara, thanks for the post!
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:25 PM

We are staying at the Westin now and enjoyed a great meal last night at the Las Vegas, which is on the road to the rainforest directly across Route 3 from the Westin. Great fish, PR cuisine and mostly locals on Friday night. Sort of pricey ($7.95 for a cup of yam soup) and not too fancy. We are going to try Sandy's in Luquillo tomorrow which was recommended to us by some locals as well.
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
regc

let me know about the westin, going there end of july with 15 yr old son,