Westin or Hyatt for Cayman trip

Jan 19th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Jules

Westin or Hyatt for Cayman trip

Hello,

We will be heading to Che Caymans in July, which resort, Westin or Hyatt is the very best... best pool area, landscaping , surroundings? I am really stuck between the 2. We loved Hyatt Aruba.. and have never stayed at a Westin

Thanks in advance,
Jules

Jan 21st, 2002, 05:22 AM
Cheryl

Haven't stayed at either hotel, so can't comment on rooms and service, but did spend a bit of time walking 7 Mile Beach (last May) ... Hyatt's beach was very crowded, and the beach chairs were lined up in rows facing the ocean, one right next to the other, arm-to-arm. The beach at the Westin was nice, there were alot of people on it, but it was not as crowded as the Hyatt's. You could place the chairs whereever you liked (on the Westin's beach).

Do a search on this site and you will find lots of comments on Westin vs. Hyatt to help you decide.

Jan 21st, 2002, 12:24 PM
Julie

Hi Jules,
My husband and I just returned from Grand Cayman and stayed at the Hyatt. We were very impressed with the resort; the landscaping (including the garden and pool) was very nice. Unless you fork over the big bucks for a beachfront room, you have to walk across the street to get to 7MB. For us, this wasn't a big deal. Hyatt has it set up so that you have a seemingly private covered bridge to walk across, which "delivers" you to the beach section of the hotel (shops, restaurant, etc.)

There are a lot of beach chairs in the area right in front of the resort, but move them just a short way down and you'll find an empty beach! We walked along the beach to the Westin, and that beach area looked identical to the Hyatt beach area: lots of chairs right in front of the hotel, but plenty of open space to use on either side. The Westin looked very nice from the outside.

We were very happy with the Hyatt, especially since we paid an Expedia rate of $250 for a garden-view room. The resort was not at all crowded, which surprised me for mid-January.

One other thing - we didn't rent a car while there. There are several good restaurants (Ottmar's, Ragazzi's, Deckers), shops, and a grocery store within walking distance.

Good luck and have fun!

Julie

Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:06 AM
wendy z

We stayed at a condo which was a part of the Hyatt and loved it. We took a walk to the Westin and although it looked nice, I was happy we were at the Hyatt. Had a wonderful dinner at Hemingway's Rest. Ate outside with a view of the ocean. The pool was nice but we are beach people. Not a bad idea to claim your beach chair early. Wonderful to stay at the beach for the sunset with a cool drink in hand. They had a couple of nice shops, a tcby, a good sushi rest. Nothing is cheap here but I imagine the Westin would be the same price wise. There was a shopping center near by with a great Italian rest. We took a catamaran ride and fed the sting rays...fun. Enjoy your trip!

Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Connie

Jules -
I have stayed at the Westin 3 times in the past 8 yrs and always find it to be very nice, clean, and service is good (well, Caribbean good). I would chose the Westin over the Hyatt because the Westin is a nice wide stretch of 7 mile beach and you can snorkel right off the beach from there. Governor's reef is an easy swim from shore. The pool area is also nice.

Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Kath

I would say The Westin. Its GORGEOUS! I have been going to Grand Cayman for 9 years and everytime i walk by the hotel, i just fall in love.
the beach is much bigger than the Hyatt's-- sometimes when we walk past the Hyatt beach, we think of sardines packed together- if that gives you a clue. Plus, the entire resort is on the beach, whereas the Hyatt's hotel rooms are across the street, but some villas/suites are on the beach. So, convenience-wise, the Westin is it. I think the Westin atmosphere is more glamorous and prettier, and the pool is so beautiful. Just what i would picture on a movie set.