Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui or Sands at Grace Bay Turks and Caicos for honeymoon???

Jul 31st, 2001, 02:28 PM
nancy

People have described Turks and Caicos islands as more beautiful than the island of Capri which to me is the epitome of beauty. I love the caribbean and have never been to Hawaii. Which has more to offer? I am not a big on sightseeing etc, just want to relax in a beautiful surroundings with luxury everywhere. Help.

Jul 31st, 2001, 02:45 PM
kitty

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (on Maui) for our honeymoon. Exceeded all our expectations. Totally worth the expense. Service, accomodations, food, ambience, location, you name it - were all fantastic. There are some great restaurans in Maui, too. Cannot wait to return!

Jul 31st, 2001, 06:02 PM
jmm

Having been to both Hawaii and T &C:
I dearly love the T&C - absolutely the best beach I have ever been on - lovely water, great snorkeling,safe and the Sands is a nice property BUT Provo is a desert Island - most of its beauty is underwater (although some pretty coves on the Northwest shore).
I found Maui a little too developed for my tastes BUT it had some magnificent scenery - the drive up Haleakala is not to be missed.
I was a bit disappointed in the beaches - pretty but the water was rough.
So it depends on what you want - great beach or great scenery.

Jul 31st, 2001, 11:01 PM
Mike

Since you seem to already love the Caribbean, perhaps you should stick with what is familiar. However, Maui (and the rest of the Hawaiian Islands) are far more beautiful than anything in the Caribbean, especially T&C, which certainly are NOT as beautiful as Capri (that's a BIG laugh!) But jmm is also correct below: in all honesty, the beaches/water of Maui are not as nice as T&C, but for me personally, I would still return to Hawaii any day over that place. Incidentally, if you do decide to choose Maui, absolutely DO NOT go to the Westin! Instead, you want to select the other side of the island -- the Wailea side -- and select either the Kea Lani Suites, Four Seasons or Grand Wailea, all magnificent properties. Or, if your budget won't allow for those, then perhaps you should consider the Renaissance Wailea or Maui Prince Hotel.

Aug 1st, 2001, 08:40 AM
eileen

With the exception of the gorgeous water and the spectacular beach, Provo TCI was the ugliest island I have ever been to. It's all gray limestone -- very little foliage. We didn't care because the beach was so great, but it probably the opposite of Maui which is much more lush and tropical.

Aug 1st, 2001, 05:44 PM
nancy

Thanks to all for the advice. Please tell me why I should not stay at the Westin Mauii, is it just a bad location or bad hotel altogether? I have heard of Wailea, I have heard excellent things about Kea Lani.
Also, do you recommend Diamond Head on Oahu? If so, are the sheratons decent or is Maui the island to see. We will only have time for one island.

Aug 1st, 2001, 11:16 PM
Mike

Nancy, you said in your post that you are not big on sightseeing and want to be surrounded by luxury! Well, first of all, the Westin is NOT a first-tier luxurious resort, period! It is a plain (but large), very touristy spot with small, plain rooms -- certainly NOT the kind of luxury you're seeking! Secondly -- and this is getting back to your "no sightseeing" remark -- you don't want to go to the Sheratons on Waikiki (Diamond Head, as you call it) because Waikiki is the EPITOME of mass tourism, crowds, etc.!! So, obviously, that's out, too! Again, the Wailea side of Maui is the more luxurious and beautiful side of the island and I think you would be quite content there! If you need more info, go to the "United States" section and post your questions there or you can look up prior posts as well!

Aug 4th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Barbara

My husband and I went to Maui the month BEFORE we got married. NEVER AGAIN. the flight from the East Coast is horrible(14 hours with stop overs) which means you waste 2 days traveling. You didn't say where you were traveling from, but 14 hours is too long to see sand and a few palm trees. Maui is very touristy anf very over priced. We stayed at the Four Seasons and I agree with Mike the Wailea side of the Island is much nicer than the Westin side. I can say "Been there, Done that" Good luck

Aug 5th, 2001, 05:05 AM
nancy

THanks Barbara! I sort of wanted to hear that, I am traveling from the East Coast and did not want to waste so much time traveling. We still havnt decided on a honeymoon destination. Very stumped. Were you happy with the Four Seasons hotel in general? We were thinking of Four Seasons Nevis.

Aug 5th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Renee Duane

Turks and Caicos..was this a nuclear test site??? do they have schools here?
I would describe the people here as "zombies" ...and there is absolutely nothing to see or do, except lay on the beach and snorkel. If thats what you are into, go for it.
but I would rather send my honeymooners to places that offer the beaches plus...
friendly people, lush mountainous areas,
good shopping areas, fun things to do,
like...Maui..much better choice. Road to Hana is the most beautiful scenery you'd ever want to see on a 3 hour drive..Lahaina town is very quaint and charming, Maui is full of great things to see and do. No comparison w/Turks and Caicos..
or if you like the Caribbean and want lush mountains, nice resorts, things to do..Grenada, St. Vincent, St. Lucia,
Jamaica. Swept Away resort in Negril is absolute heaven w/perfect beaches and romantic villas w/open air terraces, all inclusive w/golf, tennis, watersports and much more.
hope this helps..Renee

Aug 5th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Joanne

I am straying from your choices, but I suggest you consider Caneel Bay in St John (not the Westin)or St Barts (WOW!) its a wonderful honeymoon spot.