Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Westin - Caymans (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/westin-caymans-472872/)

JoeKool2 Sep 8th, 2004 09:22 AM

Westin - Caymans

Has anyone stayed here? Any feedback?

Kristen1206 Sep 8th, 2004 09:40 AM

We stayed next door at Villas of the Galleon but did visit the Westin. Very nice hotel on a beautiful beach. Until the Ritz opens I would say the Westin is the best hotel on the island. good location too. Not right downtown so it's quiet but it's close enough to walk or take a ride to restaurants and shops etc.

meta Sep 8th, 2004 03:09 PM

Stayed at the same place as Kristen, but we did walk around the Westin. (didn't see the rooms, though) The inside and outside of the Westin is very nice and the people working there, extremely friendly. Personally, I think the beach at the Ritz will be a lot more crowded, like the Hyatt.

joanie433 Sep 8th, 2004 05:06 PM

There has been much talk on this and other sites about the size of the rooms - small- and the musty smell.

Knowing Sep 9th, 2004 05:11 AM

Save your money and stay at a condo. The grounds are nice, but drinks are expensive and the food is nothing special. The rooms are not your typical "Westin" rooms and they do smell like they have been closed up forever. They can't seem to deal with this issue as a hotel.

Kristen1206 Sep 9th, 2004 05:13 AM

I heard the same about the Hyatt but friends stayed there and had no problems. I think musty smells now and them must br the norn in the island if a room is carpeted just because of the water and sand that people track in and the humidity.

Our condo was nice because it was all tiled.

summer04 Sep 9th, 2004 05:23 PM

I've stayed at both the Hyatt (last summer) and the Westin (this summer) and never had a musty room. Enjoyed both resorts, but prefer the Westin -Better beach, less crowded nicer rooms.
However, I would highly recommend a condo with kids. Plantana, near the Westin, gets great reviews and appears to be nice. Prices are also within reason. We stayed at a condo and then the Westin this year because we like a bit of both styles. Neither the Westin, nor the Hyatt are great for snorkeling, but there are lots of decent sites right off shore around the island. Check them at DiveCayman.com. No matter where you stay, you'll love Cayman!

citygirlmk Sep 13th, 2004 09:29 AM

the westin is the most beautiful hotel on grand cayman... trust me! however, during this very trying time for the cayman islands, our hearts and prayers go out to all who are there right now during this very devastating storm. godspeed.

Creole Sep 13th, 2004 10:06 AM

As for beachfront, Westin has every other hotel beat by seven miles. We ran the 7-mile beach daily for three weeks (off season) and found it to be the tops. Rooms are not spacious, but service is impeccable. The Resort is laid-back and understated--perfect for relaxation and sun. If you're looking for a busy hotel, this, is not the place. As for price, everything in Cayman is pricey, so bring your money and be prepared to pay. If you want cheap (or moderately priced) eats, walk across the street to the little village, and venture out from the hotel.
Can't speak about condos, but will return to Westin even when Ritz opens because Ritz looks like an entire city on the beach.