Wedding site-all inclusive and affordable advice

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wedding site-all inclusive and affordable advice

We want to marry in the islands flying from Boston first week of Jan 2005. We would like an all inclusive (not couples only) resort on the beach that offers lush tropical beaches, tennis, and other activities but we hoipe to find a nice quaint resort as opposed to the big high rise hotel type of places. We do not wish to fly too far as our guest can stay only 4-5 days. The Bahamas was considered but we think it might be too cool that time of year plus I think it can be expensive. others say stay away from Jamaica as it a bit scary (soldiers w/machine guns around) and long bumpy rides from airports to resorts on dusty dirt roads. Dominan Rep. offers nice beaches we are told and is very affordable but the political climate is scary there as is the poverty everywhere can be a downer, plus I hear there is not much to see and do there. Riviera Maya Mexico is being considered but it is a long flight/travel day for our guests who caon only stay for 4 days. We are confused-so many choices and we need to find affordable places without sacrificing too much quality. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM

I would definitely suggest Negril Jamaica. The road from Montego (airport) has been redone & from all reports is excellent. You can also take a short plane ride there. Maybe the armed look is more in Kingston or Montego but not in Negril.

The 7 mile beach area is fabulous & they have several family all inclusives. We are staying at Beaches Negril in May. It is all inclusive with activities & separate kids activities if you need it. Go to www.negril.com & post for advice. Many posters there are locals & will give you true pictures of the places to stay. Another good place to check is www.tropictravelonline.com They have postings for all different areas & then also broken down by resort types.

My sister-in-law stayed at Moon Dance Villas. Said it was unbelievable. Not your typical resort type place. They also do weddings. Check out www.moondancevillas.com
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Not sure what your idea of affordable during January would be...but Jamaica really is a good choice from Boston as Air Jamaica offers daily nonstops from Logan. Negril offers a spectacular range of accommodations, both AI and not. In fact, unless you're picking up the tab for your wedding guests, I would suggest that you do NOT do AI, as it would be less expensive for your guests in a place like Negril to dine independently of a meal plan.

I got married last summer in Antigua with about 40 guests in attendance. I don't know if there are direct flight from BOS, but we flew from Hartford, connected in San Juan, and were on the beach by 2:30 in the afternoon. We chose a hotel with a meal plan of breakfast and dinner, as it was a secluded and affordable hotel. We picked up the hotel and meal plan tab, and the guests picked up their bar tab and anything else, making it more affordable for our guests to share in our wedding weekend. The hotel's name is Long Bay and the website was www.longbayhotel.com. I've stayed there a few times and have always been extremely pleased with my vacations there. They offer very reasonable rates both in high and low season, and if you talked with the owner there I bet he'd work out a package deal for you and all of your guests who would be there. The hotel is on a beautiful beach, has one tennis court, a full array of water sports. It's definitely more on the "nice quaint resort" side of things as there are only 20 rooms and a few free standing cottages.
Feel free to ask more questions if you wish. Congrats on your wedding and have fun planning it!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:03 AM

It's too bad that Mayan Riviera is too far for those staying only 4 to 5 days. We just got married at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan and it was a fantastic time enjoyed by all.
The interior portion of the resort is all jungle with stone pathways leading down to the pool and beach. All natural with all manner of peacocks, monkeys and other small birds and animals all in residence.
We had 30 people come down from various parts of Canada and everyone loved the resort, the food, the amenities, etc.
They offer full spa services in their new spa building (his & her packages)plus they have poolside massage.
They offer a choice for the wedding ceremony - either on the beach (although romantic sounding the wind is blowing your veil around, blowing sand, you're squinting in the sun, you have to pretty well ditch the shoes when you hit the sand, etc) or the jungle. They decorate in either traditional white or Mexican.
We did the traditional white in the jungle - a private little area right in the middle of the resort that looked so pretty with the white lace, arches, chair covers and such (afterwards we went down to the beach for the photos).
$1,400 U.S. for the wedding package for up to 8 people (and $17 per head thereafter to pay for larger cake, more champagne, etc). This included:
- services of the wedding coordinator (who is available by email all the time)
- the judge & administration fees
- brides bouquet (choice of pink lilies, roses, gerbera daisies, etc)
- centrepiece on the table at the wedding & at the wedding dinner
- groom's boutieniere (I give up trying to spell that!)
- welcome basket of fruit and wine
- choice of seating in any of the 4 speciality restaurants with special menu
- just married t-shirts
- they come in and reclean the room, throw rose petals around and decorate
Truly a phenominal wedding ceremony package with lots of extras to make it a truly special day.
If you'd like to know more, do not hesitate to write to [email protected]

-
-
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Jamaica is not scary and it's a great trip flying from Boston! Air Jamaica flies directly from Logan and the flight is a little under 4 hours. I was just in Negril and it was gorgeous. No high rise hotels there, the beach is amazing, and the people are very friendly. If there's only adults (singles and couples) in your party, check out Grand Lido Negril. It's very nice, plenty of activities, and really good food.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Hi Two_Cats remember me. I recomended the Iberostar Quetsal/Tucan to you back last year and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your wedding day and honeymoon. We went back there again last October and it just gets better everytime. Good luck and congratulations in the future.Miggs