Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Wedding in Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/wedding-in-caribbean-93517/)

Jeff Farmer Nov 12th, 2000 04:17 PM

Wedding in Caribbean

My fiance and I want to get married in the Caribbean. We anticipate having 15-20 guests. We are a bit overwhelemed by all the choices. Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

gail Nov 12th, 2000 05:01 PM

Wow that is alot overwhelming. There are so many options and depending on where you are traveling from the prices will vary too. <BR> <BR>I would talk to a local travel agent and see if they can get you some good package deals inclusing airfare and hotel. <BR> <BR>Also some of the all inclusive hotels will throw in the wedding (nicely done of course) if you and your guests stay there. <BR> <BR>First thing I would do though is head to a good reputable travel agent and get some idea of prices and options and brochures. <BR> <BR>Also the www.where2stay.com board has lists of hotels and islands and alot of pictures so you should be able to rule out destination. <BR> <BR>My suggestion is to try and find someting that is a fairly dircect flight on larger planes that won't take forever to get there. So everyone is not wasting vacation time to get there. <BR> <BR>Also if you can get on the same plane that is alot more fun. <BR> <BR>Also check with some of the major airlines for discounted airfare. I took a group of 40 on a tour to the Bahamas a couple of times and both American and Delta were happy to work with us for great airfare. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more ideas. <BR> <BR>

Erika Nov 12th, 2000 05:40 PM

Your post is too vague for any real valuable feedback. An all inclusive resort makes it really easy - but that's because they are cookie cutter weddings that are sometimes less than private... and there is also the issue that some resorts (like Sandals)are hetero-couples only - no kids or singles. <BR>What are your priorities? Are you looking for non-stop entertainment for your guests? a quiet, laid back family vacation with lots of outdoor activities? Are you picturing a tropical island with lush greenery and tropical plants (very important - some islands like Aruba are actually very arid) <BR>Be more specific with your expecations (your dream so to speak) Also be aware that some islands have residency requirements (the French ones like St Lucia and Brit ones like the BVIs require 3 day residency). The USVIs make it easy since you are in a US territory. <BR>Let us know what you are picturing and hopefully we can help.

Bill Nov 13th, 2000 06:47 AM

<BR>Ericka brings up a main issue. All islands have different laws. Here in St. Kitts, you must be here 2 full working days, have a birth certificate or passport, if divorced, must have decree in English, if widowed, must have death certificate, if Catholic, must be in a Catholic Church and a letter from your priest stating your purpose. The fee is US$80.00. Same requirements go if you have an Anglican priest or minister. I'm sure you will find different rules on other islands but this is St. Kitts

Karen Nov 13th, 2000 08:07 AM

First I would try to figure out what other experiences (snorkling, sailing, beach, gambling, shopping, diving, great dining, etc) the group may want to do and consider the time of year, how long your guests will stay (and their budgets too), will you leave and honeymoon elsewhere, your dress (beach-style, casual or formal), and so many other details! I might also look at islands that would be easily reached by a direct non-stop flight from your location. Overwhelming it is it!! Most resorts do offer some type of package or wedding consultant to help you with the plans but you need to pick the island, explore the resorts and look at your budget! Let us know more about your "dream" wedding and am sure lots of suggestions will come forth! Each country does have its own requirements as to residency so you might have to apply or arrive before. In the USVI, for example, there is an 8-day waiting period but you can send your paperwork in advance and that counts as the "waiting period." A good travel agent can also be invaluable for "weeding" out islands/locations as well!!

felix little Nov 13th, 2000 11:53 AM

i recommend barbados - have all the guests stay at one large villa and you and your fiancee at another private villa nearby - you could even have the ceremony on the private beach of the villa - could anything be more romantic - we used www.caribbeanway.com and they found us the perfect spot for the perfect wedding - check it out .....