Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Wedding at St Thomas Ritz? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/wedding-at-st-thomas-ritz-620368/)

abcdc Jun 2nd, 2006 12:12 PM

Wedding at St Thomas Ritz?

Any help very appreciated!

My fiance and I are considering the Ritz on Great Bay in St Thomas for our wedding. We've heard lovely things about the property and they are quite helpful. However, we will be having it during high season, so the rooms are quite pricey. We don't want our guests to feel like they have to pay $600/night to attend our wedding (on top of flying to another country)! So, my question is:
Is the Ritz too far from the other resorts to make it a viable option for our guests to stay elsewhere? Any thoughts from anyone who has been there very appreciated!

virginia Jun 2nd, 2006 06:17 PM

congratulations. the ritz is a beautiful property. you might look at www.secretharbourvi.com for your guests. you pass it on the way up the ritz road. maybe 4 mins away. i have stayed there twice and the rooms are large, the beach nice, restaurant good. also in the neighborhood is www.elysianbeachresort.net. i know nothing except that it is there.
or maybe 15 mins away is the wyndham sugar bay all inclusive resort. huge, nice pool area, soso beach.
hope this helps.
oh and for a very romantic and excellent dinner you must go to havana blue at the marriott/morning star. its to die for. try for a window table at moonrise!

mersingary Jun 3rd, 2006 06:03 AM

You may want to look into Weddings In Paradise at the Frenchmans Reef;
http://www.weddingsinparadise.vi/.
The resort has just completed renovations from the hurricanes and it is very close to town. There are excellent restaurants there and the view of the harbor is spectacular.

TurtlesNestCondo Jun 3rd, 2006 02:33 PM

Hey - I was married 3 years ago in St Thomas. We did it at the now closed Rennaisance Beach Resort. My advice would be this, if you are having a decent amount of people come, try to do everything at 1 resort where everyone can stay. The best part of our trip was that we would get up in the am and go to breakfast and bump into our parents, friends, family, etc... want to go swimming, I bet there is someone I know by the pool. get the idea. we all went for basically a week, concluding in our wedding on sat and left for a honeymoon in ST John the next day. it was great. having everyone travel around in taxis, cars, etc.. will be a pain. 1 other solution would be to have everyone stay at 1 resort together and just do the ceremony at the Ritz and maybe stay there your wedding night. We had about 45 people come down. We negotiated rates at the resort. MAde sure to get the cheapest room we could discounted the most for those who were $ concious and didnt get the suites and such discounted as much so those people basically made up for the more conservative ones. We had an AMAZING bacd at our wedding. They are local in STT and they play all the carnivals and stuff. They were about 10 person band. I wish I remembered their name, but they are well known on the island. Also, ship anything special well ahead of time to the hotel b/c traveling with a lot of boxes sucks and having everything there ahead of time is best. Anyway, bottom line. If someone comes to your wedding...yes... they will spend a considerable amount of money on airfare, hotel, food, activities, etc... BUT..dont feel bad b/c they are getting a great vacation out of it. We checked out Frnachmans Reef, but didnt like their Gazebo area as we wanted to get married barefoot on the beach and not on a cliff. Anyway, best of luck

abcdc Jun 5th, 2006 09:58 AM

Thanks, everyone! This is definitely a somewhat overwhelming process ... at this point, we're considering hiring a wedding planner since we won't be able to fly back and forth ...

virginia Jun 5th, 2006 11:32 AM

which ever resort you choose will almost surely have their own co-ordinator. attended a wedding at sugar bay last june and while i did not really like the resort their planner was excellent. i'm guessing the ritz planner would be just as good or better.
secret harbour does weddings as well. their chef makes a wedding cake (chocolate or white) that is to die for and uses an all butter cream frosting. yum!