Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Web sites for travel to Puerto Rico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/web-sites-for-travel-to-puerto-rico-755228/)

Mariff Dec 28th, 2007 07:37 AM

Web sites for travel to Puerto Rico?

I have used excellent travel sites for our trips to Mexico that have offered countless tips for touring and accomodations. I am wondering if similar sites exist that are "must reads" before a trip to Puerto Rico. We are interested in all things beach, the forts in Old San Juan, the rain forest and if possible, taking in some baseball. I thought I read that baseball is still in season in January (we'll be in San Juan the last week in January) but would love any input on whether we can see any baseball at this time of year. Any other must-sees while in San Juan? Also, any all-inclusive resorts? We need to spend a few days in the area where the El Conquistador Resort is located due to a convention. The resort is sold out (see prior post)so we need a hotel near the resort but also plan to extend our stay for a couple of days in Old San Juan and maybe one other area. We like all-inclusives but it does not appear that such properties are readily available in Puerto Rico??? Thanks in advance.

coqui_07 Dec 30th, 2007 12:36 PM

You could check out my blog @ www.visit-the-coqui.com

must sees
Old san Juan (both forts, cathedral, governors mansion, can juan gate, paseo la princessa promenade)

El Yunque - one or more of the trails - then hit Luquillo beach and grab food at the roadside kiosks

Ponce in the south

Day trip to Culebra or Vieques

Check out also frommers.com

doug_stallings Dec 30th, 2007 01:10 PM

There are no all-inclusive hotels in Puerto Rico. If you can't stay at El Conquistador, you should look at one of the big beach resorts east of San Juan such as the Wyndham Rio Mar or the Gran Melia, which was formerly the Paradisus (an AI) but switched over to a regular resort plan in keeping with other PR hotels. These are the two closest large resorts to El Conquistador. THere's a small hotel in Fajardo that some posters here have stayed at but it's quite modest. It's a little far to drive from San Juan. Also beware that you will need a car for your sojourn to the eastern end of PR and some resorts charge for parking.

Brutforce Dec 30th, 2007 05:27 PM

Here are a few --- www.casacubuy.com (if you wish to stay in the rainforest - but take your own food) it is miles from anything. www.prwow.com (news, etc.), www.rincon-pr.com, www.rinconpr.com & www.rincoin.org for my favorite place on the island. welcome.topuertorico.org. www.jayuya.net. www.gotoparadores.com.

doug_stallings Dec 31st, 2007 07:56 AM

To clarify, Rincon is on the opposite side of the island from Fajardo. Literally as far away as you can get. So I would urge you not to consider it as an alternative for your convention stay. I see you have several other pots, so hopefully you'll get a good answer.