Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Weather, resorts and all those other honeymoon questions...

Mar 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hello!

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in St. Lucia, August 24-31, 2009.

1. I'm worried about hurricanes or rainy weather. Has it ever rained a week straight? Are we at risk for that?

2. Sandles Grande versus Windjammer? Which is better for first time vistors and honeymooners?

3. Any activites that are a MUST do? We LOVE an adventure!

Any advice and information would be awesome.

Thank you!
Christie
Mar 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM

If you want an all-inclusive experience a lot of organized activities, then choose Sandals. But a lot of people love Windjammer. Without knowing more about you, it's hard to recommend one over the other.

You are always at risk for a hurricane in August, but it's absolutely impossible to predict if a storm will hit that particular week. However, you are planning your trip smack dab in the middle of the busiest part of hurricane season. What I'd suggest is that you get insurance that will allow you to cancel for any reason. And if you book at Sandals, they do offer a "hurricane guarantee" (read the fine print).

You definitely will want to take a trip down to see the Pitons, and I'd recommend a trip into the rain forest.

St. Lucia is a great island, so I think you'll have a wonderful time.
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM

I stayed at the Sandals Grande once - it was great. The beach is nice, the resort is nice - you could hike over to Pigeon Nat'l Park. The other thing I did was take a helicopter tour. I LOVED it. I've been to St. Lucia twice - I flew into both airports...so I also took a helicopter ride from the airport to resort area - well worth the money - it was a great way to see the island - and it saved an hour of driving on bumpy roads!
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM

I also took a catamaran to see the Pitons - and we went to Marigot Bay which is beautiful! and If you like Adventure - I heard the zip line rides are lots of fun - never did one - but will next time I have the opportunity!
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM

it is unlikely that you would have a weeks worth of rain, but not impossible. trip insurance is good but worth nothing if you go and have a bad time, only works if you cancel or are evacuated due to a storm. as stated read the fine print on any policy. i would plan and assume there will be no storms.
this page will link you to weather history for the past few years. note that while some days list rain, no days list any accumlation - meaning there was a quick shower - nothing likely to spoil your plans.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...8&yearend=1994

now to the fun stuff. st. lucia has tons to do and see.
>the pitons are a can't miss. you can go to a beach at the base, dine with them in view, snorkel near, boat to and around them: http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/mai...bean_sea_4.jpg
> there is a drive through volcano - only one in world.
> you can zip-line
> atv tours near/on the beach or in the forest.
> 4x4 jungle drive/tours
> hiking in jungle a/or to waterfall
> botanical gardens
> there are dolphin and whale watching trips but i'm not sure what time of year
> butterfly farm
> golf, kayaking, biking, sport fishing, snorkeling/scuba, banana plantation, horseback riding,
> st. lucia distills 2 rums
hope this helps...
Mar 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Awww, thanks everyone!!!!! We're super excited. We're booking tomorrow for Sandals Grande. We're both 30 and have been to places like Greece, Ireland, Italy, Peru and Mexico...but neither of us have been to the Caribbean. My dad really wanted us to do Aruba since it's more outside the hurricane belt, but it looks so deserty to me. We just love the idea of swimming in a waterfall or zipping across the rainforest!!! LOVE the helicopter idea!!! Thanks much!
Mar 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM

had a friend who went to Sandals Grand in St. Lucia, they said it wasn't as good as they expected. however it was built up big in their minds from everything they were told about it. They complained about the food not being anything special, compared it to food on a Cruise ship. Good, not great.

He did say he wouldn't want to go to St. Lucia and not do all inclusive because would not want to have to find places to eat outside the resort/hotel.
Mar 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
KVR

We stayed at Sandals Grande and was disappointed. Be aware that Sandals bought an old hotel and converted it, so unless you book a true suite you will get a regular hotel room. They are all the same, what you are paying extra for is the view and the amenties. The food and service was very disappointing. The whole experience was totally overpriced.

On the other hand, St. Lucia is gorgeus and we loved the Island. We did the Land & Sea tour and then the jeep 4 x 4 tour. We also went into town to the craft market and the duty free mall. We deperatly wanted to do the helicopter over to St. Vincent and the Grenadines, but ran out of time and money.

Definatly, go to St. Lucia, but I would research other hotels.

The hurricane issue has been beat to death in many other threads. If you the chance, buy the the trip insurance that you can cancel for any reason, not just if the airline cancels your flight or the hotel you choose closes.
Mar 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I'd look at one of those resorts built into side of the mountain, those look very nice
Mar 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

I've really only stayed in hostels when I travel, so I'm thinking we should be OK with Sandals Grande. I've even gotten bed bugs before - ewwww! I guess the only nice hotel I've stayed in has been the Luxor or New York - New York in Vegas! HA! We did get a honeymoon suite at the Grande We're splurging for this lovely occassion!

What is so bad about the food? I hear that those who don't like seafood, struggle with the food there. We both happen to LOVE fresh fish. So, fingers are crossed!!!! Thanks for all your input!!
Mar 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM

nothing probaby, my friends who went for their honeymoon just expected it to be 5-star food I think. He compared it to the type of food you get on a cruise.

they also didn't like the bus ride from airport to the Grande...but again I think they are picky. If you are use to roughing it I wouldn't worry about it.
Mar 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM

The food at a Sandals is fine and much better than at many all-inclusive chains. The problem with food in the Caribbean in general is that everything is brought in frozen (even in most cases the fish). So you rarely get something truly fresh and local at the big resorts. You might see some local mangoes and bananas for breakfast, but the lamb will be from New Zealand, most the fish from a farm in Chile, etc. This is not a Sandals-specific issue, but it's something to consider.

If you are usually a backpacker, I don't think you're going to be disappointed in the quality of the accommodations or perhaps even the food. Just remember that you can always hop on a local bus or take a taxi into Rodney Bay for a nice local restaurant, or you can go to the Gros Islet Jump-up and get some excellent local food and beer out on the street for very little money (now this is little more than chicken wings or grilled fish, but it's fun and worth while).
Mar 20th, 2009, 05:19 AM
KVR

We've been to 13 AI resorts across Mexico and the Caribbean including Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau, Bahamas and next to the RIU Tropical Bay in Negril, Jamaica, the Sandals Grande St. Lucia had some of the most disappointing food regarding the overall taste especially for the price we paid. We didn't even have any of the fish dishes and we like seafood. The whole experience was completely overpriced for what we got.

We've had better tasting food a 3* AI hotels in Mexico, which are less than 1/2 of what Sandals charges. I agree the best included food on any trip that we've been on is the cruise we took on the Princess Star. Outstanding. Too bad, we didn't like the over cruise experience.

If you interested, here's the link to our Trip Report, which have more details regarding the food.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._St_Lucia.html