Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Weather in St. Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/weather-in-st-thomas-912549/)

Dee_Torpy Nov 18th, 2011 06:34 AM

Weather in St. Thomas

We are going to St. Thomas tomorrow through all of next week. The forecast for the week calls for scattered thunderstorms/rain. Anyone there now or just returned willing to share how the weather's been (since the forecast looked the same this week)?

Bassguy66 Nov 18th, 2011 06:42 AM

The forcast says that just about everyday of the year in the Caribbean. And guess what, it might just rain everyday...but (MOST) of the time, it rains for 5-10 mins, and then it's gorgeous out. Just go and enjoy...cuz even a rainy day in the islands beats a nice day at work!!

wliwl Nov 18th, 2011 06:57 AM

I'm friends on Facebook with someone who lives in St John and he runs a charter boat company. He posts the weather and where he's going everyday and I haven't noticed any problems. Have fun!

Dee_Torpy Nov 18th, 2011 07:07 AM

Thanks to you both! Bassguy66, you are so right...even a rainy day in the islands beats a nice day at work!!

RoamsAround Nov 18th, 2011 07:10 AM

Bassguy is right. We who live in the Caribbean rarely look at on-line forecasts as they ALWAYS predict rain, every day, 365 days a year for just about every island. the thing is it rains somewhere on any given island for sometime in any given 24 hour period. But, and it's a big BUT the "rain' is usually very brief and very localized. It could rain in one area and 1/4 mile away you'd never get a drop. I've seen it rain in my back yard and be dry as a bone in my front yard. For instance on the island where I live (not too far from St. Thomas) in the past 24 hours we had about 45 seconds of rain around 10:30PM last night and this morning I was sitting out by my pool and around 9:00AM a cloud passed over while about 20 raindrops fell near me - I never even got out of my chair. Since then we've had bright blue sky and lots of sun. FYI - today the on-line weather forecast for our island says "rain". Same thing yesterday except the rain came around 2PM at the house but it never did rain at the golf course where I was (a mile away).

Dee_Torpy Nov 18th, 2011 07:39 AM

Thanks so much! Very helpful and GREAT to hear!

Weadles Nov 19th, 2011 07:50 PM

We just returned from Turks and Caicos. Weather report for every one of our eight days was scattered thunderstorms and showers. It rained once- today- as we were leaving! The rest of the time we had almost perfect sunny weather with a few clouds, usually in the morning hours.

tejana Nov 20th, 2011 10:52 AM

We're on St. Croix now (40 miles south of St Thomas). It was gorgeous last week (so they tell me), but this week there is a tropical wave that is promising to make things a little interesting for a couple of days. It rained pretty heavy last night, and so far today there have been 3 or 4 passing showers - a little heavier than normal, but they are moving through pretty fast. The problem with "moving through pretty fast," though, is that means that the north winds are up, and the surf is getting a little choppy - we even saw some surfboards at Cane Bay this morning.