Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Weather in British Virgin Islands in October/November

Apr 5th, 1998, 11:57 AM
Gary Belastock

We are starting to plan a 10th anniversary trip to BVI in October or November. Can anyone tell me what the weather is typically like? Is there the threat of hurricanes or tropical storms. Also we are looking for recommendations on where to stay, prefer something all inclusive.

Apr 7th, 1998, 06:53 AM
Cheri

As you know, hurricane season for the Caribbean is from June 1 till Dec.1. Rainy season in the BVI is May- Nov. Average yearly rainfall is 60". The chart doesn't say which specific island, it just says BVI. Hope I helped.

Apr 7th, 1998, 09:51 AM
Don / Boston

Hi: Stayed there in November of 1995 (year of big hurricanes in Carribean). The weather was wonderful when we were their for Thanksgiving. If you are really concerned about Hurricanes ( and most Islands go many years without being hit) I would avoid October and concentrate on November (mid or late). By that time of year the chances of being impacted by a hurricane are quite remote. In November temps should be 80-85 degrees and Island will not be crowded. Nice rsort on Tortola is Long Bay Beach Hotel (they are not ALL INCLUSIVE" but offer a meal plan). Not many "ALL INCLUSIVE" resorts in BVI's Email me if you have any questions !!

Apr 7th, 1998, 09:56 AM
Don / Boston

Hi: Stayed there in November of 1995 (year of big hurricanes in Carribean). The weather was wonderful when we were their for Thanksgiving. If you are really concerned about Hurricanes ( and most Islands go many years without being hit) I would avoid October and concentrate on November (mid or late). By that time of year the chances of being impacted by a hurricane are quite remote. In November temps should be 80-85 degrees and Island will not be crowded. Nice rsort on Tortola is Long Bay Beach Hotel (they are not ALL INCLUSIVE" but offer a meal plan). Not many "ALL INCLUSIVE" resorts in BVI's Email me if you have any questions !!

Apr 7th, 1998, 05:35 PM
Karen

Have been to BVI's November on. Usually Sept. is big month for storms but it sometimes lasts thru Oct. Never have had a bad Nov.!
All inclusives are called MAP or FAP in the BVI's but do not include alcohol, etc. as do the traditional all-inclusive. Not sure what your budget is but found that when renting a car or taking a taxi for dinner, it adds up quickly to be in the ball park of Peter Island and some of the other smaller places with the MAP. We were extremely disappointed at Long Bay and Tortola---thaought Long Bay way over priced for what it has to offer compared to other places. The beaches do not compare to the other islands in the BVI. In fact, we could not even swim at Long Bay although the beach is nice. Drakes on Mosquito Island is also very small and quiet as is most of BVI. Check out Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda---it is lovely too. Little Dix is a bit pricey but worth every penny!