Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Weather Blues on St.Lucia (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/weather-blues-on-st-lucia-92978/)

Carol Nov 7th, 2000 04:25 AM

Weather Blues on St.Lucia

We planned a last-minute much needed break to St. Lucia 2 weeks ago - I just checked the weather prediction,and it's calling for solid rain showers every day we are there. Visions of leisurely days on the beach are fading fast... what else can you do on this island, and does it really rain all day?

Sooooz Nov 7th, 2000 04:38 AM

Carol, <BR> <BR>I'd wait to see how things really are when you get down there. When we went to Aruba in Oct, they called for rain everyday, and we never saw 1 drop the whole time we were there. Also, in the Caribbean, sometimes it will rain for a very short time, then be sunny the rest of the day. <BR> <BR>St. Lucia is fairly large, so it may be raining on one part of the island and not the other. There are quite a number of activities to do on the island - where are you staying? <BR> <BR>We stayed at Anse Chastanet on the southern part of the island. We did a rainforest walk, took a boat up to Castries, the capital, did a sail/snorkle trip around the island. Lots to do! <BR> <BR>I guess I just never rely on the weather reports - they're wrong too frequently! <BR> <BR>Sooooz

Mark Nov 7th, 2000 09:38 AM

We were there from 10/22 - 10/29. weather.com called for rain showers every day. They were right. It rained for a good 5 minutes every day. On Friday we got married and it must have rained 5 or 6 times. When we got married at 3:30, you could hardly tell...the ground was almost completely dry. <BR> <BR>Don't worry about it...chances are by the time you could pack up your stuff on the beach, the sun would be out again....have a great vacation. <BR> <BR>M

Mike Nov 8th, 2000 08:53 AM

I'd agree with everything said here. Rain seems to only last a short while. The weather forecast for our first trip called for rain all day on the first day in St. Lucia. <BR> <BR> <BR>It did rain in the morning, but we went down to the beach anyway, since it was so warm and the rain rather light. We had the beach to ourselves under a cabana, and acted like a bunch of kids running around the beach (it was such a wonderful change from a cold Feb. in Canada, we didn't care about a little rain!). Lo and behold, the rain stopped after 30 minutes, the sun came out and stayed that way all day. <BR> <BR>In other words, I wouldn't worry too much. <BR> <BR>Mike

Ed Nov 8th, 2000 09:37 AM

I agee do not worry-we had very short showers once or twice during the day. This was in early December,just remember St.Lucia has a rain forest-it is not an arid isalnd,but this is normal. I am getting the same forecast for Anguilla-now what weather service can give accurate weather 10 day forecasts.It always shows showers and has for the past 2 weeks-but trhe actual weather show partly cloudy. Go enjoy!!

Carol Nov 8th, 2000 01:27 PM

Thanks for all the positive replies! I am really looking forward to our stay now at the Windjammer on the north part of the island, and I'm hoping to have some good travel stories for future island trekkers!

Nikki Nov 8th, 2000 09:57 PM

We got back from 2 weeks at Sandals Halcyon in St Lucia yesterday and we were sad that the good weather we had in the first week, didnt last in the second. The locals were saying that the rain we had in the second week was worse than the whole rainy season this year!!!!!!

Pat Nov 13th, 2000 01:15 PM

Carol, <BR> <BR> We just got back from a week at Jalousie Hilton and the weather was terrible. We had 2 days of sun, the rest it rained and not just a shower - on 2 days it rained ALL DAY. There were even some mud slides in town blocking some roads. The staff at Jalousie did say this was very unusual for this time of year. We were in the south of the island, so chances are it might have been sunny in the north where you are staying. Good Luck and have a great trip. We still enjoyed ourselves despite the weather.