Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

We're going to Grand Cayman! Help us pick activities.

Feb 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

So, the flight and hotel are booked, now comes the fun part--what should we do while on Grand Cayman!?

It'll be me and my husband and my parents. We all are very laid back and just looking to experience all the best of Grand Cayman. In our preliminary searching, here are some things I'm wondering if experts here can help me out with:

- Which is the best tour operator to go with to Stingray City? Should we book ahead of time or just find it while down there?
- Where else are great snorkel sites? Can we snorkel over any wrecks? (Unfortunately we don't dive.)
- Is the Turtle Farm or Butterfly Farm worth it?
- Should we go on one of the submarines? I love the idea of being able to go down 100 ft, but has anyone done that? Do you feel claustrophobic?

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but was too excited not to start gathering info already.

Feb 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Congrats on booking your trip!

When are you going?

I will be down there in about 2 weeks and can't wait!!!

I have heard that Captain Marvin's is a great operator for Stingray City. They have a website so check them out. Not sure if you need to book ahead of time...maybe just give them a call when you get on Island?

I've heard the submarine is great, but it seems really expensive...however, I haven't done it, so can't give you the merits on whether it is worth it or not.

Where are you staying? Might be able to get some good tips on snorkelling once people know where you will be located.
Feb 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM
KVR

Most people go with Captain Marvin for the Sting Ray City trip. This includes the tons of cruise ships passengers, so if you plan on using him, go to his web-site and book as soon as possible. You should also get the cruise ship scheudule for your trip and try to book when there are not as many cruise ships coming in. You can get the schedule at:
http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

We went with Soto Cruises and enjoyed it.

Most of the boat tour opertaors can help you with snorkel trips. Look at www.caymanislands.ky for listings of operators. Also rent a car and get a map for the shore snorkeling and spend the afteroon at Rum Point.

We did the Nautilus sem-sub, which was really great and not so confining if your caustrophic. Also, it is not as expensive as the Atlantis submarine.

Book an Island tour that will take you to many of the touristy areas. We went with Tropcial Tours.

Check out the Queen Elizabeth II botanical Gardens.

Feb 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Scuba diving is my top memory of that place; especially the "wall". Stingray city was also good.
Feb 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM

We went to Grand Cayman last March with our 4 kids & my parents & loved it! We stayed for 5 days at the Tamarind Bay Condos which was great space for our family of 6 & my parents stayed kitty corner from us at the Comfort Suites. We had a pool & the beach was smaller here with some rocks but it was still great.

My husband spent some time buying snorkeling gear for everyone (so bring from home!) but we practiced in the pool & then continually at different points along 7 mile Beach.

We spent our last 2 nights at the Westin which was wonderful also with a gorgeous pool. After you've snorkeled awhile, there's a wonderful spot called Governer's Reef? next to the Westin that you have to swim out to a little but the fish were amazing!

We did the semi submersible tour (boat with a lower level that was surrounded by glass) because some were afraid of a submarine & it was phenomenal also. Very clear water so excellent views.

We did Captain Marvin's Stingray Tour for about 5 hours which was great. (Booked most things in advance). They pick up & drop off at your hotel, provide snorkeling gear, you can buy a video (well worth it!) & provided a lunch on a beach. We have video of our kids diving in their snorkeling gear to bring up conch which Captain Marvin then turned into an appetizer & we brought the shells home.

We also went to the Turtle Farm & everyone liked it.

Have a great time!
Feb 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so far for the responses

We are going in April and staying on 7MB.

Good to know the semi-sub is enjoyable; maybe we'll consider that instead of the full one.

Feb 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM

You;ve had some good suggestions so far, but I'd add :
- Rent a car to get around..on 7MB the best snorkelling is off Cemetery Reef at the north end of 7MB, and you'd need to drive it
- WIth that car, take a day to explore the Eastern Districts (awesome and virtually unused snorkelling sites all over too!)
- When out East, #1 is the Botanic Park (go early in the day, it is 35-40 minutes from 7MB and (I think) opens at 9am).
- Other Eastern attractions : Pedro Castle, Mission House (in Bodden Town), and a little more adventurous is the Mastic Trail if you like trail walking.
- Rum Point and Kaibo are great options for a relaxed lunch on the beach, or else if it is too hot, try Hideaways beach bar at The Reef (caveat, my place, so check out other posters first, don't take my word for it) as it tends to have nice cooling breezes that you will appreciate as the island warms up more from March onwards.

Those are just a few ideas....for now