Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   We have to leave for TCI tomorrow! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/we-have-to-leave-for-tci-tomorrow-655329/)

yalerider Oct 26th, 2006 02:48 PM

We have to leave for TCI tomorrow!

I still haven't rented a car. Still not sure if I should rent for the whole week. I can rent a little bitty car for around $280.00 with insurance for the whole week. Not sure if I would use every day or not although we are the type to like looking at houses etc. I also hurt my back the other day. Back spasms the doctor says so not sure how much walking I will want to do.

mymoosie Oct 26th, 2006 03:10 PM

Enjoy your trip! It's nice to have a car to be able to just get up and go when you want to. $280 w/ insurance is a great deal.

blamona Oct 26th, 2006 03:47 PM

If you hurt your back with spasms, you may want to get a Terios type car. Trust me, those little "tuna can" cars (stole the frase from mymoosie ;-) )
will hurt you back even if you didn't have a bad back. and they have the worst shocks-the road can get rough in spots.
Another factor, sometimes it's costs as much to have a car the whole week as 5 days-might as well have it the whole week. I like the freedom, not depending on waiting, or having cash for tips, etc.
I like saving money whenever possible, but with a bad back, I trully recommend upgrading!!!
PS I'm renting a "tuna can" car when I go down, but my back is fine!!! 8-)

yalerider Oct 27th, 2006 07:30 AM

Well I ended up getting a tuna car for around $350.00 with taxes and insurance.
I went with Hertz so I believe I can pick the car up right at the airport. Whoooohoooo!

A_Traveller Oct 27th, 2006 08:00 AM

I got a chuckle from the title of your post - that you HAVE to leave tomorrow. You can read it two ways; 1)Somebody is forcing you to make the trip or 2) You have developed such longing for the white sand and torquoise waters of the T&C that you just HAVE to go tomorrow to get your island fix. I hope it's the latter!!! LOL Either way, enjoy your stay.

yalerider Oct 27th, 2006 09:07 AM

Thanks! It most definately is the latter. :)

turksoldtimer Oct 27th, 2006 09:22 AM

Yalerider
Check out this new company on Provo. They have the best rates I have found so Far www.gracebaycarrentals.com Have a Great Vacation

yalerider Oct 27th, 2006 10:06 AM

Thanks Turks! I canceled my rental and went with Grace Bay. Much cheaper.

turksoldtimer Oct 27th, 2006 10:24 AM

Please let us, Provo Travelers know how this car company works out for you. Along with a trip report would be nice.
Have a Great Time

yalerider Oct 27th, 2006 10:24 AM

There cars are right hand drive. Thats gonna be an experience.

turksoldtimer Oct 27th, 2006 10:37 AM

If I can do it anyone can. Just watch those windshield wipers, I often used them as my directionals.
Have a Good One

blamona Oct 27th, 2006 12:22 PM

I've driven a car with the steering on the right. The Round - Abouts (traffic circles) were an experience! ;-)

yalerider, please tell us how your trip was when you return.

yalerider Oct 27th, 2006 02:04 PM

I absolutely will give you all a trip report and a report on the car rental. I just spoke to Todd with Grace Bay Car rentals, he will meet us at the airport. Thanks for all of the info, hope I didn't ask too many questions. :)

yalerider Oct 27th, 2006 02:47 PM

OK one last question. Where do we park at
Smiths Reef
Sapodilla Bay
Coral Gardens.

thanks!
Roger

yalerider Oct 29th, 2006 01:25 PM

Well we got here yesterday. How fun it is! It is a lot muggier than I thought it would be though. Our experience driving the right hand drive car on the left gave my wife a headache, and she wasn't even driving :)

yalerider Oct 30th, 2006 12:51 PM

Blamona, the Bight road, Grace Bay road, and the Leeward highway are all nicely paved now. Haven't hit the bad ones yet.

mymoosie Oct 30th, 2006 01:07 PM

yalerider - How is it? How do you like Provo so far? Enjoy!

blamona Oct 30th, 2006 02:01 PM

those 3 roads were paved last time i was there! Update me on the roads around Sapadilla Bay, and the one to Malcolm's Beach will always be bad! :-O
Hope you're having a blast!

yalerider Oct 30th, 2006 03:11 PM

We are having fun. Beach in the morning and pool in the afternoon and evening. The pool in the back is so awesome, landscaping is beyond words. Ate at Aqua tonight, very good. Taking lots of pictures. We tried snorkeling for the first time today in front of RWI. Was fun but now have to try Coral Gardens if we can find it. Will also take a picnic lunch to Sapodilla Bay sometime this week.

mymoosie Oct 30th, 2006 03:32 PM

Coral Gardens is easy to find. You'll probably see signs for Windsong as they are under construction. CG is right next door. There is a driveway that leads to CG with a sign at about waist level. It may be slighly obscured by plants. If you see Turks & Caicos Club then you've passed CG.
Take the driveway and there will be parking at the end of it. There's a path to the beach right beside CG building. You won't miss it, more than likely there will be other cars parked there.