Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

We have a free Marriott weekend, which island should I go to for my 40th bday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want to get away from the kids in Nov for my 40th birthday. Just a long weekend somewhere in the caribbean, but which island?

We have a free long weekend stay at any Marriott--can anyone help me pick the best, nicest hotel/facility for my 'points'? (or tell me which locations to avoid)

Or, I could get a long weekend at the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas or Grand Cayman for a few more points. Does anyone think a Ritz Carlton on these islands are far and away better than any Marriott on any other island? Would it really be worth the extra points?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM

One of the best values for points is the Curacao Marriott and it is an easy direct flight from Miami (2 hrs, 20 minutes). It uses less points that St. Kitts and other destinations and is a wonderful place -- I liked it much better than the Aruba Marriott -- I even liked it better than the Ritz Carlton in Jamaica. Curacao is a great island.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM

I agree about Curacao. I am 42 and I just got back from there. It was a perfect and relaxing vacation. We actually had had our teenagers with us but we would go there without them next time. We found it to be more of an island for couples rather than for families! Hope you enjoy wherever you end up!!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Hi blip,
How nice for you to "have" to use that weekend getaway! We enjoyed the Marriott in Curacao. It was very clean, lovely pool area that is right off the ocean which makes for a very scenic scape in which to enjoy from your chair. <-------jacketwatch taught me how to do that. (The icon that is, not enjoy lovely views from my chair.)
Anyway, I think you and your hubby would enjoy the Marriott, I posted a trip report a year ago that may be useful for you. I'll try to find it and top it off for ya!
Happy 40th doll, may we get better and better with each year! T.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I would pick the Ritz in St Thomas....that being said, pick up the phone very soon and see if they have availability. Very hard to get that property!!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:05 PM
aks

Seeing as you're going in November, I'd go for the Marriott Curacao - being technically out of the hurricane belt - you never know what weather conditions may be around further north. That being said - agree with Tiff - have a blast !!- remember, after 40 you can be any age you want!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I'm also going to raise my glass to a Curacao getaway. The Marriott bar on the beach is the perfect place for a tropical birthday toast.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Curacao - another vote here
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:03 PM

St. Kitts Marriot!! Beautiful island, laid back, friendly locals, rainforest/volcano tours, kayaking, day trip to Nevis, snorkelling, etc. etc.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:44 AM

Another vote for Curacao.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone been to the Marriott Grand Cayman? I hear they are redoing the entire hotel and they also got their beach back with the last big hurricane. I was thinking of using points there, but there is such a big positive feedback about Curacao Marriott. Anyone been to both?
If you have a long weekend, the Curacao Marriott may be a long way to travel. Take into consideration the most direct destination. I am sure all of the destinations mentioned will have a relaxing weekend for your birthday.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Curacao it is! Thank you very much. I expect to have a great 2nd 39th bday!